Harley's Stomach Emptying Problem

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby iluvk9 » January 30th, 2011, 6:42 am

With what Shanna and Mallika wrote, I am going to try to see if the time of eating affects him. I personally can't eat when I first wake up. They are up at 5:15 and eat within 15 minutes. I will try holding him off till I go to work at 7:00.

Sorry about Oscar...but thank him for me if they traded a day!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » January 30th, 2011, 9:49 am

Slurpee cat says that he's taken care of the puking for today...so no need, Harley! Keep everything down in your tummy so your mom won't worry!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » January 30th, 2011, 10:46 am

So far, two days no puking. And the count begins again. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » January 30th, 2011, 10:56 am

Looking for the 'like' button....
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amalie79 » January 30th, 2011, 11:05 am

I have a cat that has a sensitive tummy-- if Birdie Bee waits too long to eat, she pukes up the bile foamy stuff...and then she gorges herself and pukes that up, too. I upped her food yesterday (all the kitties have been on a diet and have, for the most part achieved their weight loss goals, so the food got increased) and she puked up last night, too-- but, oddly enough, only the amount by which I'd increased her food.

Sorry-- the long and short of that was...umm...yeah, some of these little stinkers have divas for stomachs. :wink:

Poor Harley...Birdie's sending her good thoughts for no puking!
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 31st, 2011, 10:27 pm

I brought him to Vet this afternoon, as it seemed to be getting worse. No eating and puking yellow bile. Then maybe eating a little at breakfast and puking digested-looking food 5 hours later.

Anyway, he is on the same meds we did this summer: Reglan, pepcid, flagyl, liquid barim (soothes digestive tract) sucralfate (I forgot at this point, but I think it was for soothing the stomach) and mitazipine.

He is HAPPY AS CAN BE...running, barking, drinking water, rolling in the snow. Then it is feeding time and he literally curls his tail under and hides in a corner. If you saw his face, it is as if the smell of food makes him want to puke.

After the Vet, I did get him to eat 1/4 can of Iams (I literally have EVERY can of dog food in my house) and then he wanted my toasted english muffin.

:sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » January 31st, 2011, 11:04 pm

:hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby plebayo » January 31st, 2011, 11:23 pm

:hug3: x10

You will get on top of this! I seem to remember he lost quite a bit of weight before... and then I seem to remember you got him to gain it back! I know this is stressful but it is going to be okay, he is going to get better!

AND I think it's awesome they send barium home. It really does help coat the stomach!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » February 1st, 2011, 4:20 am

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » February 1st, 2011, 6:28 am

Toasted english muffin sounds like a good doggie snack to me.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » February 1st, 2011, 7:10 am

You reminder me about his weight, Suzanne....he was high 80's originally. My dogs tend to have a few extra pounds. When he got sick, he went down to high 70's. While he was getting better the past few months, I got him up to 80 again. Last night he was 79.9. So I feel like I caught it in time. I watch him like a hawk to see if he pukes outside, but there are times I can't see him in the wooded section, so I am not sure if he is puking. With Truman on a leash now, this is all hard to coordinate with 2 feet of snow and 4 dogs. I get so mad at myself for not doing better.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 1st, 2011, 9:03 am

Don't you ever get mad at yourself. You're one of the most conscientious owners on here and we all know you do whatever it takes to keep your dogs healthy and happy.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » February 1st, 2011, 9:05 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Don't you ever get mad at yourself. You're one of the most conscientious owners on here and we all know you do whatever it takes to keep your dogs healthy and happy.

:highfive: Exactly what Liz said!

You're an amazing doggy mommy...:hug3: Now give Harley that English muffin!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby plebayo » February 1st, 2011, 10:37 am

You shouldn't be mad at yourself. You were doing what you thought was right by weaning him off of the meds. You'll get his stomach under control soon and things will be back to normal. I know it's hard to see now but you've been battling this for a long time, you're both old pros. Harley is SO SO SO lucky to have you be there for him!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » February 1st, 2011, 12:05 pm

Thank you, Liz, Suzanne and Erin. I get so overwhelmed and think I can do BETTER.

Breakfast stayed down. Lunch is being served in about 15 minutes, as soon as Reglan has a chance to work.

Oh, and I was giving Mitazipine at night, because with kids, anti-depressants seem work well when given at night. Vet said to switch to morning to see if that gets him wanting food for more of his awake time.

Thank you all for helping me through this. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » February 1st, 2011, 12:14 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Thank you, Liz, Suzanne and Erin. I get so overwhelmed and think I can do BETTER.

we all feel that way at times...no worries, you're not alone.

Oh, and I was giving Mitazipine at night, because with kids, anti-depressants seem work well when

I read that too fast and thought that you said that YOU took the mitazipine...and I was going to respond with..."well, there's your problem...it's for HARLEY."

:doh:

TheRedQueen

Postby iluvk9 » February 1st, 2011, 4:51 pm

Trust me, I am WAY past antidepressants. :neener:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » February 1st, 2011, 5:55 pm

madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » February 2nd, 2011, 4:48 pm

Another UP in this up and down story. :)

Since Vet visit and new meds, on Monday, he is eating and not puking.

I don't even want anyone to post a reply...let's just hold our collective breaths for a moment. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » February 2nd, 2011, 10:39 pm

:lookaround: I couldn't make it a whole minute, but I did try! Yay!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health