Odd situation - What would be an appropriate gift?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby call2arms » June 23rd, 2010, 12:39 am

Crazy to think that the one moment that started the journey to turn his life around was Noel's 25 minutes of "doggie interaction"... Had that not happened, who knows where he would be today?

Good job from all involved, congratulations for helping a kid grow up the right way. :)
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Suzi » June 25th, 2010, 8:33 am

Giving a bit of our time, can be the best investment we ever make.......

Kudos Hoyden.

Reading this thread has given me a whole new outlook on my day.....
Suzi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TinaMartin » June 25th, 2010, 10:06 am

Proof that involving ourselves in a positive way is worth it!
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Hoyden » January 27th, 2011, 12:41 pm

I just got a call from Jamal a little while ago.

He just got a job down in the Fairfield County/New York area with a company that works at risk kids that help to train service dogs that are donated to wounded soldiers.

He transferred to another community college down that way to finish off this year of college. He still wants to transfer to a college with a ROTC program so he can go into the Army, but for now, he is going to work with kids that were like him and lead by example.

"Lead by Example." Those were his words, not mine.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby iluvk9 » January 27th, 2011, 1:13 pm

Very nice! :) Reminds me of the "starfish story". Moral being, you can't help them all, but the one you DO help was so worth it.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » January 28th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Nice. Good deeds often have great repercussions.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby hugapitbull » January 29th, 2011, 8:32 am

I have no idea what made me read this thread. I normally would have looked at it and the original date and passed right over it.

But, wow Noel, what a wonderful update. It brought tears to my eyes. It is so wonderful that he has done so well, and is interested in helping others do the same. You ladies who were involved are awesome. You just never know whose life you will touch.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby SisMorphine » January 29th, 2011, 9:19 am

I love it!! Good job Jamal.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby TheRedQueen » January 29th, 2011, 9:32 am

Great job! I love hearing stories like this!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Tubular Toby » January 29th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Wow this was awesome!

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what did you ultimately do for him as a thank you? There were some great ideas floating around out there, so I'm just curious. =)
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby Hoyden » January 29th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Tubular Toby wrote:Wow this was awesome!

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what did you ultimately do for him as a thank you? There were some great ideas floating around out there, so I'm just curious. =)

Two new backboards went up at the basketball court where they play. Somebody somewhere pulled some strings with the City and got the basketball court repaved with new lines painted. Between me, John, my client and other Police officers, about 14 new basketballs were handed out to the kids including.

Several new benches have been put in that area since then, I know two were made by a few of Jamal's friends who go to the Technical school. Now that the area has been fixed up, the kids have been doing a good job of keeping it nice.

I did some embroidery for him. He wanted some graffiti looking graphics embroidered on a jacket, so I bought him a jacket like the one he usually wore, took it apart and embroidered all the graphics onto it for him. (I checked with his PO to make sure none of it was gang stuff)

When Joyce sent the camera, I added in a 36 pack of batteries, a 512mb SD card and "cool" carry case.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Tubular Toby » January 29th, 2011, 1:41 pm

Wow that is awesome! This is definitely one of the best stories I've ever heard! Thanks for sharing an update.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby hugapitbull » January 29th, 2011, 1:48 pm

Just renews my belief that PBT has some of the best folks in the world.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » January 29th, 2011, 2:56 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Just renews my belief that PBT has some of the best folks in the world.

Well... duh.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » January 29th, 2011, 4:09 pm

mnp13 wrote:
hugapitbull wrote:Just renews my belief that PBT has some of the best folks in the world.

Well... duh.

Right?

Congrats & best of luck to Jamal!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby HappyPuppy » February 1st, 2011, 1:27 pm

Whata neat story! Did you and Joyce know you were helping the same boy or was that coincidence? My neighbor is sort of trying to help a girl who could go either way at this point and has NO partental support (they are jerkos) - I keep telling her she is doing a good thing and that kids often do remember the good deeds done for them. I just wish more stories had such happy and positive endings as this one!!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Hoyden » February 1st, 2011, 2:00 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:Whata neat story! Did you and Joyce know you were helping the same boy or was that coincidence? My neighbor is sort of trying to help a girl who could go either way at this point and has NO partental support (they are jerkos) - I keep telling her she is doing a good thing and that kids often do remember the good deeds done for them. I just wish more stories had such happy and positive endings as this one!!

Yes. When Joyce posted she was giving away her camera, I asked her if I could have it for Jamal.

Hoyden
Collar Queen

Previous

Return to Off-Topic