Doped up, stitched up

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » January 26th, 2011, 11:28 pm

Inara (Aussie) and Vesta (golden) got into ANOTHER fight today...while out in the yard, playing in the snow. No idea what triggered it, but I had to separate them again, and it was worse this time. Inara would NOT out this time...and had Vesta by the ear. Vesta, I had to choke her off Inara.

So after we straightened that out, I discovered that despite Inara's firm grip on Vesta's ear...there was no blood or wound. Inara on the other hand, had a HUGE puncture/tear on the top of her forehead, right over her eye. I had to shove everyone back into the house, had John call the vet and rushed Inara over there. I'm not one to panic about wounds, but this was bad.

They had to sedate Inara to stitch up the wound...and to trim the fur...and they found another little wound that they cleaned up.

She came home before the snow hit majorly...(thank dog!)...and is resting comfortably now...though still a bit out of it. She's really sore, but has pain meds and antibiotics.

Vesta will be returning to her foster home in the rescue...and is "washing out" of being a Service Dog. I can't in good conscience let a dog be in public with such horrible bite inhibition. :nono:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby FAB dogs » January 26th, 2011, 11:40 pm

Poor Inara! She looks like Frankenaussie.
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » January 26th, 2011, 11:46 pm

Wow. I'm glad she's ok! Well, not really "ok" but better than it could have been..... Good for you for keeping a clear head (not that I'm surprised) fights scare the hell out of me!

Good call on vesta.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby airwalk » January 26th, 2011, 11:48 pm

Poor Inara...and yep good call on Vesta!
airwalk
I live here

Postby Hoyden » January 27th, 2011, 12:07 am

Poor Inara.

I'm glad you decided to wash out Vesta. Too many people make excuses for behavior because of the shortage of service animals for people who need them.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby plebayo » January 27th, 2011, 12:18 am

I think that last picture says "Wait till you're really drunk, I'm gonna take pictures of you!"

I'm glad she just came out of it with some minor owies. I agree with Hoyden [gah so bad with names!] at least you're being honest about the whole situation, not just passing the dog because it has other good qualities.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » January 27th, 2011, 4:35 am

Well, thats a crappy day! Those are some pretty neat and tidey stitches! Hope she feels better soon.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » January 27th, 2011, 6:49 am

Good thoughts for a speedy recovery, Inara.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » January 27th, 2011, 6:59 am

:shock: Oh my goodness!!!! I am so sorry for the fight! And poor Inara!!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 27th, 2011, 8:34 am

Ouch. Saw the pics on FB and wondered if Vesta had done that. That IS bad bite inhibition. Poor Inara. Tell your Inara that my Inara said that if she sees Vesta she'll take her down. Kind of an "Inara unity" type thing.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 27th, 2011, 8:35 am

On a side note, Vesta MUST have pit bull in her - Goldens don't do things like that, only pit bulls do! :rolleyes2:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby LMM » January 27th, 2011, 9:19 am

Oh no :(

Speedy healing vibes to Inara!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby iluvk9 » January 27th, 2011, 10:01 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:On a side note, Vesta MUST have pit bull in her - Goldens don't do things like that, only pit bulls do! :rolleyes2:

Uh, LENNY BO BENNY????? 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TinaMartin » January 27th, 2011, 10:11 am

Gator and Sorsha send slurps.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby copperlegend » January 27th, 2011, 10:18 am

poor girl!

Inara, milk it for all it's worth! ;)
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SisMorphine » January 27th, 2011, 11:18 am

Ugh what an awful thing! Poor Inara!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby madremissy » January 27th, 2011, 11:26 am

:o Poor Inara, I hope your head feels better soon.

I am sorry that Vesta isn't going to work out. :(
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Jenn » January 27th, 2011, 11:43 am

:sad2: Awww she looks pitiful
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby TheRedQueen » January 27th, 2011, 11:48 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:On a side note, Vesta MUST have pit bull in her - Goldens don't do things like that, only pit bulls do! :rolleyes2:

I know, right? I've got 8 pit mix pups and 2 pit mix females in the house...

lol I told them at the vet..."all of these pit bull mixes at my house, and the GOLDEN is the one to do this!" They all laughed...I love my vets and techs.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Hoyden » January 27th, 2011, 12:26 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:

I know, right? I've got 8 pit mix pups and 2 pit mix females in the house...

lol I told them at the vet..."all of these pit bull mixes at my house, and the GOLDEN is the one to do this!" They all laughed...I love my vets and techs.

When Birdie and I arrived at the Emergency Room after we were attacked by that off leash Golden, they though Birdie bit me because she was covered in blood too.

Jamal, the kid who insisted on coming with us, spoke up real quick and said NO! Another dog attack both of us and showed them the side of Birdie's face which was frightening.

The ER staff couldn't believe that a pit bull had been attacked by Golden until they called the dog's vet to check his shots and verified that he was indeed a Golden Retriever and yes, he has attacked other dogs before.

I heard this morning that Jamal just got a job working with a program down in the Fairfield Country/New York area that has at risk youth participate in training service dogs for wounded soldiers.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health