Third eyelid

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby amalie79 » January 24th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Simon's third eyelid on his left eye is stuck in the upright position. I have to take in a urine sample for him tomorrow, so if it's not better in the morning, I'll be taking him with me, I suppose...

In the meantime, I didn't see anything in it, and he doesn't seem bothered by it-- not rubbing his face on things or pawing at it.

I have some NeoPolyDex drops here that we use for one of the cat's eye allergies, and probably an older tube of NeoPolyBac ointment. Think the drops would be ok to use tonight and until I can get to the vet?
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby amalie79 » January 24th, 2011, 9:51 pm

You can see it's also a little runny, but not bulging out like a cherry eye.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » January 24th, 2011, 10:45 pm

In can happen from infection in and around the eye. A vet visit is a good idea.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby amalie79 » January 24th, 2011, 10:54 pm

I'm definitely taking him in the morning if it's not better. I just wondered if the NeoPolyDex would be worth doing in the meantime, or if it's like ear infections and you run a big risk of doing more damage...

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » January 24th, 2011, 11:03 pm

It can also happen from allergies as well. Just so as not to make my post sound totally alarming. LOL!

When I was working the ER we were essentially told that anything regarding the eye was considered an emergency because they are SO sensitive and the only thing we were allowed to say regarding the eyeball was "bring the animal in." So really as much as I always try to treat things myself at home, and help my friends to do so as well, eyes make me REALLY nervous.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby amalie79 » January 24th, 2011, 11:13 pm

Gotcha. Thanks! Our vet works on a walk-in basis only, so we'll be able to go first thing in the morning. Simon's had persistent UTI's for the last year or so. They clear up and go away, but he also seems to have neurologically based incontinence. His teeth are terrible, he's missing quite a few and the ones he has have been worn down and have some build-up, but he's 15 and in not great health anyway, so I won't put him under anesthesia for a dental.

To top it off, he's very fear aggressive with the vet and has to be muzzled. Sigh.

But he still seems pretty happy, interested in what we're all doing, and even tries to run to keep up with everyone with a big smile on his mug, so I just use that as my guide.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » January 24th, 2011, 11:34 pm

Oooo could be a carnassial tooth abscess! Not really, because there's no swelling but since you said his teeth were bad :p

I would wait on the neopolydex only because sometimes steroids can make eye problems worse. I know using it on ulcers is a big no-no so just to be on the safe side you might just wait until you can take him in.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amalie79 » January 24th, 2011, 11:50 pm

plebayo wrote:Oooo could be a carnassial tooth abscess! Not really, because there's no swelling but since you said his teeth were bad :p

I would wait on the neopolydex only because sometimes steroids can make eye problems worse. I know using it on ulcers is a big no-no so just to be on the safe side you might just wait until you can take him in.

Yeah, I thought of the teeth, but there doesn't look like there's any swelling under his eye, and while his breath has gotten worse over the last couple of years, it doesn't smell like any abscesses that I've smelled. Gross, I know. ;-)

If his eye was just runny or squinty, I wouldn't worry so much about the drops; and it doesn't look like I have any of the non-steroidal ointment, either, or I'd try that. I've treated a lot LOT of eye infections and allergies, but they've always been mild and had other symptoms of obvious discomfort-- he seems totally unconcerned about it :| . The only other time I've seen his 3rd eyelids up for a prolonged time was when he had a bad reaction to ACE. Hmm... I did recently up his tramadol dosage...

Ears are what I'm usually super careful about. A bad ear infection is such a nightmare.

Poor guy's kind of a mess. I wish I had known when he was a younger dog all the things I know now. He'd probably be less fear aggressive and healthier. Though he's had next to no health problems until the last 2 or 3 years. But now he's making up for lost time. He's such a sweet boy <3

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » January 25th, 2011, 12:13 am

Poor guy's kind of a mess. I wish I had known when he was a younger dog all the things I know now. He'd probably be less fear aggressive and healthier. Though he's had next to no health problems until the last 2 or 3 years. But now he's making up for lost time. He's such a sweet boy <3

From the tiny odd angled pictures he looks GREAT for 15! I mean, even to brag that he's 15 is impressive. Have you had him his whole life?

You'd think if it was the tramadol he would have both eyelids up? I've never had tramadol sedate my dogs or make them act weird. Is it possible he could have gotten something in there?

I've only used neopolydex on the dogs when their tear ducts get clogged. I mean on the one hand it would make sense because it should bring the inflammation down if that is the problem with the eye... I only worry because it is the eye and certain drops work differently.

I also agree, ear infections blow big time!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amalie79 » January 25th, 2011, 2:43 am

Well, we just all got up to go outside, and his eye looks better-- the eyelid is still up a little bit, but now it's just a little black triangle in the corner of his eye, not all the way up obstructing his view. I think that side's maybe always a little more visible. Hopefully, it's even better in the morning. Since the vet doesn't require an appointment, I can just take him in at any point that I think it's getting worse.

I have had him since he was 6 weeks old. He'll be 16 this summer; I got him when I was 15, so he lived with my folks while I was away at college, and was a mostly outside dog for the majority of his life. When I bought my own house, though, he came and lived with me, since I could let him in more and spoil him to try and make up for some lost time. He's having a harder and harder time getting around now and I couldn't imagine him outside full time. I've made a lot of missteps with him, but he's taught me so much. He's such a sensitive soul. Sounds a little silly, but Robin's got so many similar "issues" that I see her as kind of an opportunity to do things the way I wish I had, knowing what I know now. :oops:

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » January 25th, 2011, 10:45 am

amalie79 wrote:Well, we just all got up to go outside, and his eye looks better-- the eyelid is still up a little bit, but now it's just a little black triangle in the corner of his eye, not all the way up obstructing his view. I think that side's maybe always a little more visible. Hopefully, it's even better in the morning. Since the vet doesn't require an appointment, I can just take him in at any point that I think it's getting worse.

I have had him since he was 6 weeks old. He'll be 16 this summer; I got him when I was 15, so he lived with my folks while I was away at college, and was a mostly outside dog for the majority of his life. When I bought my own house, though, he came and lived with me, since I could let him in more and spoil him to try and make up for some lost time. He's having a harder and harder time getting around now and I couldn't imagine him outside full time. I've made a lot of missteps with him, but he's taught me so much. He's such a sensitive soul. Sounds a little silly, but Robin's got so many similar "issues" that I see her as kind of an opportunity to do things the way I wish I had, knowing what I know now. :oops:

How's his eye doing today? Glad it's looking better, maybe he just got an irritation.

It sounds like he's got it pretty darn good, and it sounds like he's taught you a lot and you're able to work with Robin better which is great :)
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amalie79 » January 25th, 2011, 10:53 am

Thanks for checking in. :)

It was better, but now it's back. I've been trying to get a urine sample all morning, and once I have that, I'll probably be taking him in with me...this is in addition to waiting on the plumber to come fix the water line that busted under the driveway. Grrrr.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby amalie79 » January 25th, 2011, 3:36 pm

Well, I finally got him to give me a urine sample (the old guy can't seem to STOP peeing until I actually need him to... :rolleyes2: ) and he came with me to the vet's.

He's definitely got another UTI. We're going to try pulse antibiotic therapy (5 days on, 10 days off, rinse and repeat 8) ad infinitum).

As for his eye, he has Horner's syndrome. I thought his eye looked really sunken last night, but I figured I was being a hypochondriac. Nope. Horner's. I just have to watch for him not blinking or having labored breathing. He said it could just be a brief immune response, or it could be permanent and is sometimes linked to tumors on the heart. Nothing else to do, really. :| I think he said adequan is off-label for this, so I'm going to pay special close attention to his eye next week when he gets another shot.

Even still, crotchety and rickety as he was, he got several compliments saying he looked mighty good for almost 16. :dance: 8)

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » January 25th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Is the Horner's only affecting his eye?

My boss's dog has this, she got it when she was 6-ish. She's a Golden Retriever and for a while she couldn't blink, just her 3rd eye lids would move and it made her lips tight and her ears stick up kind of funny. She's had it for maybe 2yrs now, no real change for her. She can kind of blink now, but she still looks weird. She doesn't have health issues otherwise and has had no breathing issues so hopefully it is the same for him.

I hope the antibiotics take care of the UTI, sucks getting old!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amalie79 » January 25th, 2011, 4:45 pm

plebayo wrote:Is the Horner's only affecting his eye?

My boss's dog has this, she got it when she was 6-ish. She's a Golden Retriever and for a while she couldn't blink, just her 3rd eye lids would move and it made her lips tight and her ears stick up kind of funny. She's had it for maybe 2yrs now, no real change for her. She can kind of blink now, but she still looks weird. She doesn't have health issues otherwise and has had no breathing issues so hopefully it is the same for him.

I hope the antibiotics take care of the UTI, sucks getting old!

Yeah, the vet says he needs a doggie nursing home. :neutral:

So far, the eye is the only thing we're noticing. he can still blink, but the vet said to keep tabs on that.

This is one more reason for me to think that his momma was at least part golden retriever. She was supposedly a yellow/red lab. From what I remember, her fur was a little longish, but not regular golden retriever long. I just remember my mother saying she looked more GR than lab. He was from an accidental litter, basically got him for the cost of his shots.

I know Horner's is most common in goldens. He also has storm phobia and has other fear (biting) issues, all of which are more common in goldens than labs; and he has the rougher coat, though I just chalked that up to the setter side of him mixing with the double-coat of a lab :| . This is one more tick in the box.

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health