stain help?!?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby HappyPuppy » January 24th, 2011, 1:59 pm

So - this stuff has dried on my dining room walls for a month already because I've been too embarrssed to expose myself by asking for advice... LOL We got some new giant fish/olive oil gels for us and like a stupid kid, I just had to squeeze one........until it popped......all over our dining room wall! :shock: So, now I have little oil circles all over the wall, on the book case probably and also prolly all over Ruby's leather collars and leashes (I'm in denial and haven't inspected those yet). I did try corn starch and it did nothing. I tried some heavy de-greaser and it took the paint off but left the oil circle (they are about dime-sized). Also tried 409 cleaner with the same results..... Heeelllllppp????? My mom said just treat and repaint but I'd rather just try to get the spots off. (I CAN'T BELIEVE I DID THAT!!!! DH is so mad at my childishness, he won't help! LOL)
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » January 24th, 2011, 2:22 pm

Sorry but :giggle:

Have you tried white vinegar?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby HappyPuppy » January 24th, 2011, 2:25 pm

I'll admit I had a good giggle myself (after the fact) but now I'm screwed!!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » January 24th, 2011, 2:28 pm

I remember my elders saying something to the effect of "Treat oil with an oil"..... :| I'm thinking Pine Sol, or murphy's oil soap maybe??

Oh Oh oh I know ~ Magic Eraser it takes care of everything right?? lol
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » January 24th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Sorry, your mom is right, you will probably not be able to do anything other than seal the wall and repaint.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » January 24th, 2011, 6:38 pm

I have the same problem on my bathroom walls. Before you think it's weird, I don't have a kitchen so I prepare the dogs' dinner on the bathroom counter, SOOOOO my walls are covered in fish oil specks from a few stupid exploding gelcap experiences.

I just figure I'll paint over it all. Fingers crossed. LOL!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby BigDogBuford » January 24th, 2011, 6:42 pm

Yep, treat it with some Kilz All or something and then re-paint.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby HappyPuppy » January 25th, 2011, 12:57 pm

Yep: dawn dish soap didn't work and neither did TSP .... :mad2: I guess we'll jsut have to endure the hideousness until we committ to (RE)painting. Interestingly, when we were prepping my Dad's house to rent, the rental management agency suggested (after the fact) that we should use semi-gloss to make cleaning easier. I don't think we did that but that's what I want to do here since I get a lot of muddy tennis ball prints on the walls as well.... :oops:
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 25th, 2011, 1:43 pm

unless you have perfect walls, I would not suggest semi-gloss. Every bump, imperfection and mark will show up. That's may not be a big deal in a rental, but in your house it's like a neon sign.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » January 25th, 2011, 3:54 pm

I do semi gloss. My walls are not perfect but it's waaaay easier when you have multiple, gross dogs.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby amalie79 » January 25th, 2011, 4:23 pm

Maybe eggshell instead of semi-gloss (not all paint companies have both options, but I see a difference ;-) )... And definitely use some sort of sealer like Kilz-- something that will bond with both latex and oil.

Before I obsessed over the dogs, I obsessed over (and blogged about :oops: ) our bungalow renovation. 8)
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Return to Off-Topic