Harley's Stomach Emptying Problem

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby iluvk9 » January 20th, 2011, 6:44 pm

When I brought Truman in, we discussed Harley. I can't physically handle the two of them together, so Harley has an apppointment Saturday.

He is on reglan, pepcid and metazapine as of today. Light food only...if he will eat...like chicken.

The condition is called gastroparesis. I call it stomach emptying problem.

http://www.gicare.com/diseases/Gastroparesis.aspx
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » January 21st, 2011, 5:01 am

Poor Harley. :( Forget all my questions in the PM as they've been answered in the link you posted. Has he taken Mirtazapine before or is this the first time?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » January 21st, 2011, 6:33 am

Got your pm...thank you. :)

Last time he was on mirtazapine, it increased his appetite, as many anti-depressants do. I have to break the cycle of : food won't pass through stomach because of pyloric valve (the emptying problem), then he gets nauseous from the food fermenting, then he pukes, then he learns not to eat because it will happen again.

The saddest part is he is all gung-ho when the food comes out and he is waiting for it. Then he smells it, gets nauseous and walks away with his tail under him. Breaks my heart.

I have moved his dish to another area, given him a new dish and have tried hand-feeding him to mix it up a little and maybe change the pattern of eating.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » January 21st, 2011, 7:20 am

The saddest part is he is all gung-ho when the food comes out and he is waiting for it. Then he smells it, gets nauseous and walks away with his tail under him. Breaks my heart.

That breaks my heart too. :? Have you tried Cerenia when he's really bad?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » January 21st, 2011, 9:16 am

No, Dee; I don't know what that is, but I will google it.

So far, the chicken has stayed down and he was interested in a few of Truman's new cookies. As we ALL were...:giggle: I have a two hr delay because of snow, so I am watching him like a hawk.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » January 22nd, 2011, 7:10 am

Day two and no puking. :) He is eating the chicken I made (okay...bought and already cooked, but I did have to take the meat off the bones....).
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » January 22nd, 2011, 10:18 am

Good thoughts for the vet visit today with Harley. I am glad he is keeping the chicken down. :)
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby amazincc » January 22nd, 2011, 11:33 am

madremissy wrote:Good thoughts for the vet visit today with Harley. I am glad he is keeping the chicken down. :)

Ditto. :goodthoughts:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby CinderDee » January 23rd, 2011, 1:20 am

What happened at the vet???
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » January 23rd, 2011, 7:42 am

Sorry, I thought I posted about the Vet. When he called for an update, and Harley was eating and not puking for 1.5 days, we cancelled. Other than settling his stomach, there isn't much to be done. Vet will often give a shot of Reglan to jump start it, but since I had him on the pills, that was covered.

It's still "iffy" as to whether his stomach is totally calm. He puked his morning chicken at 1 pm on Saturday. Evening, he was eating and held it in.

It is like a rollercoaster. :sad2: But I log it all in my "dog diary book" and as soon as I get 3 days in a row of no problems, I know it will be okay from then on.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » January 23rd, 2011, 10:48 am

Come on Harley...no p.u.k.i.n.g....
airwalk
I live here

Postby Malli » January 23rd, 2011, 3:01 pm

3 days! 3 days...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » January 23rd, 2011, 3:37 pm

He is eating the chicken I made (okay...bought and already cooked, but I did have to take the meat off the bones....).

Rotisserie Chicken?

It's still "iffy" as to whether his stomach is totally calm. He puked his morning chicken at 1 pm on Saturday. Evening, he was eating and held it in.

I'm wondering if he is also overly sensitive to any and all spices... you probably don't feed the skin, but when using seasoning it will still get into the meat. Is he puking up plain, boiled chicken also?

Mick and Sepp were both on Cerenia during chemo, and it really made a HUGE difference w/nausea and vomiting.
It's usually prescribed for motion sickness, but a lot of oncologists use it during chemo therapy to combat the side effects of the cancer meds.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » January 23rd, 2011, 5:30 pm

Yes, rotisserie that the store makes. I wash all the stuff off of it and don't give him any of the skin or fat.

Now I am making boiled chicken and he won't eat it. Surprisingly he decided to eat some DRY Purina One. He has never liked dry food in his life. :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » January 23rd, 2011, 7:45 pm

Dear Harleybird's tummy,
Please calm down and let his food stay.
Thanks
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Jenn » January 24th, 2011, 12:29 am

madremissy wrote:Dear Harleybird's tummy,
Please calm down and let his food stay.
Thanks

X's 2, Momma needs some peace. :hug3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » January 24th, 2011, 6:47 am

Two days of holding food down. He HATES the Mighty Dog now and "likes" the dry Purina One. :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 24th, 2011, 8:48 am

Well that's an upgrade if you ask me!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » January 24th, 2011, 5:00 pm

Go Harley!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » January 24th, 2011, 7:44 pm

Another good day. Whew....I live and die by his eating a puking, know what I mean?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health