Hoarders

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby amazincc » January 23rd, 2011, 3:23 pm

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/confessi ... cases.html

Too Many Pitbulls
Premieres Friday, Jan. 28, at 10 PM E/P
A single dad believes he's on a mission from God to save pit bulls and a woman tries to stop her stubborn mother's cat hoarding before she ends up homeless. Follow Shane and Sharon as they come to grips with the perils of hoarding animals.

I *think* he has three. :| :rolleyes2:

Any "hoarders" on this board??? Show thyself! :wave2: :neener:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby plebayo » January 23rd, 2011, 4:02 pm

I think that show is kind of lame. Some of them have 'real' hoarding situations, others are just people with too many dogs for their lifestyle. This thread might be dangerous, we might all end up on the show! :neener:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby TheRedQueen » January 23rd, 2011, 5:01 pm

:lurk:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby furever_pit » January 23rd, 2011, 5:58 pm

How is three dogs hoarding?

I've only seen a couple of those shows. The ones I have seen are obvious hoarding situations, where people have 100+ dogs or cats. Animals are sick and not receiving vet care. There is pee and poop all over the place. :puke: And animals just stacked one on top of the other in crates.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » January 23rd, 2011, 6:12 pm

furever_pit wrote:How is three dogs hoarding?

Stereo typing can take on many names, I guess.
I only saw the previews, but there seem to be some DA issues + 2 year old daughter living in the same house + he lives w/his parents = "the Pit Bull ate my baby" mentality on their part.
It's still more acceptable to be the "crazy cat lady" than to be a Pit Bull owner/advocat.

I don't know about his statement that "he's on a mission from God", but that's the only thing so far that struck me as a tad strange. :crazy2: lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Tubular Toby » January 23rd, 2011, 6:55 pm

I do watch this show somewhat regularly, I guess you could say. Almost every case I have seen is a case of true hoarding. There have been a few where people just took in a few too many extra dogs, but a lot of them are pretty intense. I will definitely be watching this one.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby amalie79 » January 23rd, 2011, 6:58 pm

amazincc wrote:
furever_pit wrote:How is three dogs hoarding?

Stereo typing can take on many names, I guess.
I only saw the previews, but there seem to be some DA issues + 2 year old daughter living in the same house + he lives w/his parents = "the Pit Bull ate my baby" mentality on their part.
It's still more acceptable to be the "crazy cat lady" than to be a Pit Bull owner/advocat.

I don't know about his statement that "he's on a mission from God", but that's the only thing so far that struck me as a tad strange. :crazy2: lol

That's the best I could make out, too, plus the implication that he's taking care of the dogs, while relying on his parents to take care of the kid. Less than stellar parenting? Perhaps :| . Hoarding? I don't think so. :neutral:
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 23rd, 2011, 9:50 pm

That's not hoarding.

The founder of a local rescue was found with 35 adult GDS's in a double wide trailer, with dog crap piled up to the window sills.

THAT is hoarding.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby furever_pit » January 23rd, 2011, 9:56 pm

What is it with "rescuers" being hoarders??

I worked with a rescue when I was in college that I truly thought was a good one. Until one day I got a mysterious phone call from the head of the rescue to go to her house and pick up a mastiff that was dying. Um, ok. I get there and there are easily 120+ dogs in her house with piss and crap everywhere. It was heartbreaking.

All I could do for the dog was roll down the windows in my car and pray to God he got a breath of fresh air as he died in my backseat. It was terrible. And there ends my association with "rescues".
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » January 23rd, 2011, 10:36 pm

furever_pit wrote:What is it with "rescuers" being hoarders??

Uhm... that's a personal assumption on your part, right? *raises eye brow at Allison* :wink:

By definition - http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rescue

Definition of RESCUE
transitive verb
: to free from confinement, danger, or evil : save, deliver: as a : to take (as a prisoner) forcibly from custody b : to recover (as a prize) by force c : to deliver (as a place under siege) by armed force
— res·cu·able \-ə-bəl\ adjective
— rescue noun
— res·cu·er noun
See rescue defined for English-language learners »
Examples of RESCUE
The survivors were rescued by the Coast Guard.
<an all-out effort to rescue a beached whale>
Origin of RESCUE
Middle English rescouen, rescuen, from Anglo-French rescure, from re- + escure to shake off, from Latin excutere, from ex- + quatere to shake
First Known Use: 14th century
Related to RESCUE
Synonyms: bail out, bring off, deliver, save
Antonyms: adventure, compromise, endanger, gamble (with), hazard, imperil, jeopardize, peril, risk, venture
Related Words: salvage; emancipate, free, liberate, manumit, release; disentangle, extricate; recover
[+]more[-]hide
Synonym Discussion of RESCUE
rescue, deliver, redeem, ransom, reclaim, save mean to set free from confinement or danger. rescue implies freeing from imminent danger by prompt or vigorous action <rescued the crew of a sinking ship>. deliver implies release usually of a person from confinement, temptation, slavery, or suffering <delivered his people from bondage>. redeem implies releasing from bondage or penalties by giving what is demanded or necessary <job training designed to redeem school dropouts from chronic unemployment>. ransom specifically applies to buying out of captivity <tried to ransom the kidnap victim>. reclaim suggests a bringing back to a former state or condition of someone or something abandoned or debased <reclaimed long-abandoned farms>. save may replace any of the foregoing terms; it may further imply a preserving or maintaining for usefulness or continued existence <an operation that saved my life>.

Most, if not all, hoarders do "rescue" (at least in their minds).

Most rescuers don't hoard.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitsnok » January 23rd, 2011, 10:49 pm

I think there has to be at least four, because the 'episode photo' shows a brown one, and then the three in the photo set are all different black and white ones. I'm willing to bet, (granted, I'm judging based on the looks of the tie-out set up) that there are probably more than just those four. But I will say that, although the set-up is less than ideal, the dogs don't look like they're in bad shape...but that poor mama dogs nipples are about to touch the ground! Hopefully she was 'rescued' after having puppies? :|

ugh. I wish we had cable right now so I could watch...but then again it will probably be heartbreaking.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » January 23rd, 2011, 10:50 pm

I did NOT mean that all rescuers hoard.
I actually meant that a lot of hoarders seem to think they are rescuers or like to paint themselves as such.
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Thank you for pointing that out Christine. That was my bad.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » January 23rd, 2011, 11:16 pm

furever_pit wrote:Thank you for pointing that out Christine. That was my bad.

Well, you DID rescue Dyl-Pickle... and you're not a hoarder. :dance:

Just having some fun w/you, Allison. lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LMM » January 25th, 2011, 9:32 am

mnp13 wrote:That's not hoarding.

The founder of a local rescue was found with 35 adult GDS's in a double wide trailer, with dog crap piled up to the window sills.

THAT is hoarding.

Omg. What? :shock:
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby LMM » January 25th, 2011, 9:37 am

I saw this preview and thought to myself, huh? But I do think it's on there because there seems to be some DA issues and a young child. It's not hoarding though, that's a management issue. Not that hoarding isn't a management issue but you get my point I hope!

I saw another episode where these two life partners lived in a beautiful house with some acres. The one kept bringing abandoned animals home and the other was fed up. It was a strange episode because 1. they didn't have anywhere near the numbers typical hoarders usually have (I think they had 12? I could have that number wrong but I'm close). 2. their house and land was pretty damn immaculate, 3. the animals were very well taken care of, free roaming (within the house), and not trying to kill each other. I get that the one partner was unhappy animals kept being brought home and they did need to set limits, I just thought it was an odd story for the show.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby copperlegend » January 25th, 2011, 9:38 am

That GSD hoarding 'rescue' thing was a while ago, right Michelle? If it's the rescue I'm thinking of, I'm surprised they still operate, but maybe others took over and it got better.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby LMM » January 25th, 2011, 9:45 am

Oh are you talking about BS Michelle?
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Tubular Toby » January 25th, 2011, 10:11 am

LMM wrote:I saw another episode where these two life partners lived in a beautiful house with some acres. The one kept bringing abandoned animals home and the other was fed up. It was a strange episode because 1. they didn't have anywhere near the numbers typical hoarders usually have (I think they had 12? I could have that number wrong but I'm close). 2. their house and land was pretty damn immaculate, 3. the animals were very well taken care of, free roaming (within the house), and not trying to kill each other. I get that the one partner was unhappy animals kept being brought home and they did need to set limits, I just thought it was an odd story for the show.

This is one of the ones that I can think of that I didn't associate with true hoarding as much as just spreading yourself a little too thin. :| Maybe it's the mindset of "saving them all" that got her put on the show.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby LMM » January 25th, 2011, 10:12 am

Tubular Toby wrote:
LMM wrote:I saw another episode where these two life partners lived in a beautiful house with some acres. The one kept bringing abandoned animals home and the other was fed up. It was a strange episode because 1. they didn't have anywhere near the numbers typical hoarders usually have (I think they had 12? I could have that number wrong but I'm close). 2. their house and land was pretty damn immaculate, 3. the animals were very well taken care of, free roaming (within the house), and not trying to kill each other. I get that the one partner was unhappy animals kept being brought home and they did need to set limits, I just thought it was an odd story for the show.

This is one of the ones that I can think of that I didn't associate with true hoarding as much as just spreading yourself a little too thin. :| Maybe it's the mindset of "saving them all" that got her put on the show.

Yea I can see that. Her partner was definitely at the breaking point.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby mnp13 » January 25th, 2011, 11:17 am

LMM wrote:Oh are you talking about BS Michelle?

I plead the 5th.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk