Dylan Becomes a Farm Dog

Post your pics and vids here.

Postby furever_pit » January 21st, 2011, 7:38 pm

Took Dylan with me to feed the horses for the first time this evening. He was really excited at first but settled into some obedience rather quickly. I think with some work he will be a pretty good farm dog and will be able to just come with me around the property and not mess with the livestock.

I am trying to come up with some things he can do to actually help out around the farm. I'd like to get a cart of some sort so that he can pull large portions of feed and hay where I need it to go. Any other ideas?

Starting some OB at the first horse pasture:

"But Mom, they look so yummy!"

Learning to ignore the horses.

Staring intently at the horses at the last pasture, but staying.

I am disappointed that this photo came out so crappy - it was even worse before I played around with it believe it or not. Dylan stays where I put him while I put out hay and watches the more energetic horse, Splash.

Gosh, I love this dog. :loveU:
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 21st, 2011, 8:12 pm

He looks really good. :) And that's great he was being so good around the horses. Inara barks at horses like crazy - I think she thinks they're dogs that are way too big! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby furever_pit » January 21st, 2011, 9:14 pm

Thanks Liz.

Dylan was barking a lot at first and really wanted to go running at the horses. I think he was just excited and wanted to know what the heck those big smelly things were. Once I started asking him for some obedience he calmed down though and by the last pasture he wasn't barking at all.

If you were closer, I'd tell you to bring Inara by a couple times and do some work with her by the pastures if you wanted to.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 21st, 2011, 9:23 pm

If I were close, I'd be leaving her at home so I could come play with the horses myself! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » January 21st, 2011, 9:58 pm

Great pictures.

I think him pulling feed around is a great idea!

I take my dogs to the barn with me but they're simply my riding companions. LiLo not so much because unless she's REALLY tired she'll yip and bark and try to bite at my horse as we're riding. My mare is patient, but me - not so much lol. Seth on the other hand is a great riding partner and either leads the way or runs next to us.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » January 22nd, 2011, 11:55 am

What cool photos. Such a pretty setting... and pretty dog!!
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby SisMorphine » January 22nd, 2011, 1:13 pm

Awesome shots!! Good boy Dyl!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby furever_pit » January 22nd, 2011, 6:14 pm

plebayo wrote:Great pictures.

I take my dogs to the barn with me but they're simply my riding companions. LiLo not so much because unless she's REALLY tired she'll yip and bark and try to bite at my horse as we're riding. My mare is patient, but me - not so much lol. Seth on the other hand is a great riding partner and either leads the way or runs next to us.

I would love to teach Dylan to be my riding partner, Cairo too. There are some wooded trails on the property and it would be such fun to bring them with me. I think that's probably quite a ways off tho.

I think it's awesome that Seth is such a great riding partner! Good boy!!
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » January 22nd, 2011, 6:47 pm

furever_pit wrote:
plebayo wrote:Great pictures.

I would love to teach Dylan to be my riding partner, Cairo too. There are some wooded trails on the property and it would be such fun to bring them with me. I think that's probably quite a ways off tho.

I think it's awesome that Seth is such a great riding partner! Good boy!!

It would probably be a REALLY good energy outlet for both of them! I know Seth has a blast and it definitely helps to keep him in shape. I think you'd be surprised, especially since your dogs have a good obedience background. As long as they can get over trying to eat the horses [if that is their intention] they'd probably listen even better to you up there than on the ground. Seth is really good about ignoring other dogs and coming when called when we're riding because he knows we're faster than him so he doesn't have time to stop for anything. I was really surprised that he seems to give me the finger less when I'm up there than on the ground.

You'll have to keep us posted. I love your cart idea because it seems like it would be good exercise for the dog, and helpful for you at the same time.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Return to Gallery and Cinema