Training treats?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby LMM » December 9th, 2010, 12:26 pm

airwalk wrote:I use the natural rolls cut into itty bitty pieces, Zukes mini training treats and itty bitty bits of hot dog.

Ditto.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby LMM » December 9th, 2010, 12:30 pm

Btw, Erin totally stealing these treat recipes and sharing them with my group! Great ideas :)
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Malli » December 9th, 2010, 2:02 pm

thanks erin :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » December 10th, 2010, 10:55 am

Roo's Super Brownies (Xanderoo loves peanut butter...so these are his special treats)

2 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 cup AP flour
dash o' cinnamon
1/2 cup bacon grease
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 Tbsp molasses
2 bananas, mashed
3 eggs
optional: dash of bacon salt (depending on the dog's palate) lol

Mix dry ingredients in bowl. In another bowl, (microwave-safe), add bacon grease, peanut butter and molasses. Heat in microwave until melted (about 1-2 minutes). Mix well. Add bananas and eggs to wet mixture and stir. Add wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until combined.

Spread on greased cookie sheet and bake in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until crispy brown around the edges. Cool, cut into small squares and serve (or freeze).
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amalie79 » December 10th, 2010, 12:12 pm

I think Roo's brownies might be on the docket for this weekend... That's pretty much everything awesome in the world, according to my crew... right down to the cinnamon.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » December 10th, 2010, 6:25 pm

amalie79 wrote:I think Roo's brownies might be on the docket for this weekend... That's pretty much everything awesome in the world, according to my crew... right down to the cinnamon.

They are a very moist treat too...keep them refrigerated or frozen until you use them. They smell delicious when made! If you don't have bacon grease, oil can be substituted... :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby FAB dogs » December 10th, 2010, 8:05 pm

For quick and easy, turkey dogs and string cheese. Although I've found with the turkey dogs I'd usually end up eating most of them - often before we even got to class.

Another homemade recipe that's quick and easy:

Canned tuna fish
Crushed graham crackers
Couple eggs
Some olive oil
Pinch of garlic powder
Couple shakes of parmesan cheese

Mix it all together until it's the consistency of meatloaf. Spread in a baking pan and bake until chewy then cut into bite sized pieces.

My dogs will do absolutely anything I ask of them when I have some of this in my pocket. It's one of the few things that will keep Avery focused in agility practice.
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby Val » January 19th, 2011, 8:22 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:

Figgy's Grain-free Fish Treats

1 15oz can mackerel (do not drain)
1 box potato starch

Mix both ingredients together in a bowl...add water to moisten if needed. Mix until combined. Spread on a greased cookie sheet, and bake 30-45 minutes or until grayish-brown and golden brown around the edges. Will be very rubbery underneath when cut, with a crust on top. Cut into small squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.

So I made these treats for the girls...they LOVE them!!! They were super easy to throw together.
The treats are awesome for training, when I have a couple of these in my hand it is amazing how well Abby and Lilly listen!!! :shock:
I will be making more this weekend!

Thanks for posting!!!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or hump it.
Pee on it and walk away.
Val
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » February 5th, 2011, 11:26 am

My new training treat recipe (no stealing...;) )

Figgy's P.B.-banana Sammiches
(grain-free)

2 cup tapioca flour (also called tapioca starch)
Chai spices (a dash of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, etc)
1 egg
1 mashed banana
1 tbsp molasses
1/2 cup all-natural peanut butter (melted in microwave)
1/2 water

Mix all the ingredients into a large bowl...it will be a very thick, rather sticky batter. Pour onto a greased cookie sheet (with sides) and spread to the edges so it's the same thickness all over.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. The top will be golden brown and slightly crispy.

Cool, cut with kitchen shears into your desired treat size (I like little squares). The top and bottom will be golden brown and slightly crispy, but the middle will be dark brown and chewy. They'll look like little sandwiches.

Freeze or refrigerate until use.

These were a hit last night at flyball...only one picky dog turned them down!

TheRedQueen

Postby iluvk9 » February 5th, 2011, 2:49 pm

I may make them, *ahem* for the dogs, of course. Do I buy tapioca in the pudding section? Not the little beads, but a flour made of them? :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » February 5th, 2011, 3:47 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I may make them, *ahem* for the dogs, of course. Do I buy tapioca in the pudding section? Not the little beads, but a flour made of them? :|

If you have specialty flour/starch section (most grocery stores do now, even my low-rent Shoppers)...that's where you'll find it. I buy Bob's Red Mill starches and flours...they come in clear plastic bags. The tapioca starch is pretty cheap too!

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » February 26th, 2011, 4:35 pm

New recipe! Grain-free, no meat...but yummy!

Puzzle's Choco-covered Banana Brownies

2 1/2 cups garbanzo bean flour
1/2 cup carob powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 bananas, mashed
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tbsp honey
1/2 cup milk or soymilk

Oven-350 degrees

Combine dry ingredients, mix well. Add wet ingredients and mix...it will be a thick batter. Spread on greased baking sheet (with sides)...and bake for 30 minutes. Cool, cut into small squares and freeze/fridge until needed.

TheRedQueen

Postby TinaMartin » March 10th, 2011, 8:33 am

Got Sorsha these little tiny stars from Wet Noses. All natural 100% organic. She goes bonkers over the cheddar cheese flavor.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby amalie79 » March 10th, 2011, 10:33 am

Just got some of the Bravo! freeze dried buffalo pieces. Holy crap. The dogs like them TOO much. I can't use them alone for training because the little turds can't seem to focus when the buffalo bits are out. They'll have to be scarcely hidden amongst something lower value and show up as a random jackpot, because nothing but nothing is getting done when that's all I use.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby copperlegend » March 10th, 2011, 11:16 am

TinaMartin wrote:Got Sorsha these little tiny stars from Wet Noses. All natural 100% organic. She goes bonkers over the cheddar cheese flavor.

Kia really likes their sweet potato flavor!
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Ohiodogtrainers » March 15th, 2011, 6:18 pm

madremissy wrote:Hotdogs. Cut them up in to little bitty pieces. That is what most of everyone on here told me. Worked for Kinzyl. (until she decided she wasn't that food driven) Little bitty bite size cheese works good to. Now for Sammy and Gotty is worked wonders.

Little pieces of cut up hot dogs and cheese are my bread and butter!
Ohiodogtrainers
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » March 24th, 2011, 8:51 am

I should add, that I like to have a "trail mix" of treats when I train...so the dogs don't get bored.

I added more recipes to my site this morning:
http://www.red-rover.biz/ripleysrecipes ... cipes.html

TheRedQueen

Postby TinaMartin » March 24th, 2011, 9:33 am

I love your recipes! Its going to get to the point where Charles is going to automatically ask is this for me or the dogs? :smileUp:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » March 24th, 2011, 10:54 pm

TinaMartin wrote:I love your recipes! Its going to get to the point where Charles is going to automatically ask is this for me or the dogs? :smileUp:

Yup John always asks, then gives it a sniff test...lol

TheRedQueen

Postby Tubular Toby » March 29th, 2011, 12:24 pm

It's Toby and Tilly's birthday party on Friday. :P We're going to try to make some of your treats, Erin. :lol:
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Training & Behavior