I may choke my cat

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby plebayo » January 16th, 2011, 5:37 pm

iluvk9 wrote:He used the litter box to pee. Now...we wait...and watch..... :smokin:

Don't watch too closely... he might want some privacy :neener:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » January 17th, 2011, 2:20 pm

Mission accomplished. :dance: Bo used the covered litter box.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » January 17th, 2011, 3:00 pm

:confetti: :confetti: :confetti:

Yay Bo, Good thoughts for continued use. :D
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » March 11th, 2011, 7:03 am

Now I have another situation, and I am at a loss....

As I have mentioned before, Bo was VERY attached to Lenny. Bo would sit next to Lenny when he ate and rub against his neck, which Lenny allowed. I would walk into the dog den and see the two of them sleeping together. Bo is an indoor cat, but when Lenny was on the deck, Bo would sneak out and sit with him.

Well, now Bo is meowing a very deep, gutteral noise at night. It reminds me of the sound a cat makes when in heat, I think. It doesn't even sound like Bo's voice. I do hear his "regular voice" when it is time to feed him. But at night, it is this deep, really horrible voice.

Could he be in mourning?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » March 11th, 2011, 10:11 am

You know I am no expert but I say YES!

After Precious died, Sammy would sit in front of the fireplace, (the place where she died) and he would just whimper. I finally put Precious's blanket and toy there for a few weeks for him to lay on and he got better.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » March 11th, 2011, 12:19 pm

Maybe I will give Bo the blanket Lenny slept with. I haven't washed it yet.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amalie79 » March 11th, 2011, 12:52 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Maybe I will give Bo the blanket Lenny slept with. I haven't washed it yet.

I think that's a wonderful idea. My old man has a cat, too, who loves him, sleeps with him, rubs against him. They really depended on each other for a long time, and I do worry about how she'll handle things when Simon passes. They've been together for about 14 years. She definitely used to miss him when he was boarded or gone for any length of time. I do think cats miss their companions, no matter what species.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby call2arms » March 11th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Could very well be. It's not super uncommon for animals, dogs or cats, to mourn their friends. Some get very depressed, stop eating, get lethargic. I don't know, though, how much is from US being depressed after losing a dog/cat, but I'm sure they have their own personal part in it.

Or he could be hyperhtyroid. That kind of meowin', super loud, siamese style, at night, is pretty typical of hyperthyroidism (along with eating more, and not gaining weight) but some cats show no signs, plus he has that little hyperthyroid face. If he keeps it up after you try giving him Lenny's blanket, and perhaps some extra TLC, I'd get him a blood test for his T4.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » March 11th, 2011, 9:25 pm

call2arms wrote:
Or he could be hyperhtyroid. That kind of meowin', super loud, siamese style, at night, is pretty typical of hyperthyroidism (along with eating more, and not gaining weight) but some cats show no signs, plus he has that little hyperthyroid face. If he keeps it up after you try giving him Lenny's blanket, and perhaps some extra TLC, I'd get him a blood test for his T4.

What sort of face is it you see that seems hyperthyroid? And now that you mention it, he has lost weight in the past year or so but eats like a walrus. Assuming they eat a lot.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » March 11th, 2011, 9:34 pm

Well, the "hyperthyroid face" is sort of when they seem to lose weight in the cheeks... Like sunken in cheeks, proeminent cheekbones. Siamese style.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » March 12th, 2011, 6:49 am

Bo does seem to have that look, but I just thought I was finally feeding him properly and not TOO much food. Next time he goes in for a check up, I will mention this to my Vet. Thanks!

As for his being in mourning, I definitely think this is part of it, now. My DIL noticed he doesn't scamper away when she comes in to do her wash, but just stays on the couch, looking out the window. Normally, he runs when anyone comes in.

I put Lenny's blanket out for him last night. It is the one Missy bought him. All I saw was Bo sniffing the edges but he wouldn't step on it so far. He just sat like a toaster near it. :sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 12th, 2011, 7:42 am

How sad. :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby BullyLady » March 12th, 2011, 12:30 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Maybe I will give Bo the blanket Lenny slept with. I haven't washed it yet.

I think that's a good idea.

The hyperthyroid thing is worth pursuing, but if it's beginning coincided with Lenny's passing then I think there's a good chance it is him mourning. That gutteral meowing you are talking about is well known in my household, Sterling does it when he's upset he can't go out. He gets in this like..... trance and will literally do it for hours if someone doesn't go touch him or get his attention and snap him out of it. He is probably, however, part Siamese so it's not surprising.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby iluvk9 » March 12th, 2011, 5:26 pm

"gutteral meowing" is exactly how I would describe it. Thanks.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » March 14th, 2011, 9:28 am

My cats have been known to make these noises when they're upset about things...so I'm not surprised that Bo's doing it now.

How is he holding up? Any better?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » March 14th, 2011, 11:01 am

Oddly, he is not meowing AT ALL now. :| He is also very snuggly with me, something he has NEVER been. It really breaks my heart.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » March 14th, 2011, 2:39 pm

:(
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » March 27th, 2011, 8:08 am

Bo has now become a friendly cat. Like, friendly to EVERYONE. :shock: He usually runs and hides when anyone comes over...now he is staying in the room and allowing them to pet him. :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Previous

Return to Off-Topic