Pit bulls on TV...turning the tide?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby TheRedQueen » January 12th, 2011, 12:02 pm

Do you think that the positive pit bull shows (mainly on Animal Planet) on TV nowadays are helping turn the tide of negative thoughts towards the breed?

I know that the two kids that I come in contact with a lot (Emma: 12 and Braden: 9) have nothing but good things to say about pit bulls...and constantly say that they see sad, neglected, rescued pit bulls on TV. They don't seem to use the same wording as adults that like pit bulls, in terms of saying "it's all in how you raise them". The kids just seem to think that pit bulls are like other breeds, it's just that they need more help and rescuing. They also understand that dog fighting is bad, due to the Vick drama.

Do any of you see/hear the same things, or do I just hang out with cool kids?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby copperlegend » January 12th, 2011, 12:06 pm

I don't think it's hurting, that's for sure. But what worries me is that it might be contributing to the wrong people going out and getting a pit bull without doing some research and deciding if the dog fits their needs, sort of like when people wanted huskies after Snow Dogs came out, or dalmatians after 101 Dalmatians. Maybe not to the same degree, because these shows do tend to show the more difficult side of things, too.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SisMorphine » January 12th, 2011, 12:07 pm

I rarely ever hear anyone talk about pit bulls, period. Is that weird?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Jenn » January 12th, 2011, 12:15 pm

SisMorphine wrote:I rarely ever hear anyone talk about pit bulls, period. Is that weird?

Nope, I rarely ever do either.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 12th, 2011, 12:21 pm

I very rarely hear anybody talk about them either. I'm torn on the shows, though. I know shows like Pit Boss and PB's & Parolees help show the breed in a good light, but I really wish we could get a show that does that WITHOUT associating them with felons. Why can't we have a show about pit bull police dogs, or SAR dogs? Nope, they're all, "look at this emaciated tortured pit bull that was fought and abused" or "look at these awesome dogs that FELONS LOVE." I'm ready for a show about normal people and their pit bulls.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby LMM » January 12th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Pit Boss has felons in it? I admit, I haven't seen all the shows but I thought that was more geared towards Little People.

I think the shows essentially do a good job of portraying our breed in a much better light but also, tend to lead to the thought process of "it's all in how they are raised!". I'd like to see a show like Liz, normal people and their pit bulls that cover all the basics of pit bull ownership. I suppose that would be quite boring though.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 12th, 2011, 12:28 pm

Jenn, Shorty was in prison!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

pitbullmamaliz

Postby LMM » January 12th, 2011, 12:30 pm

Hahahahaha I did NOT know that. But the show itself doesn't gear towards parolees does it? It seems to be all about them booking LP events to raise money.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 12th, 2011, 12:31 pm

No, I'll agree with that. But the several I saw usually mentioned at some point Shorty's past. It's not as in your face as PB & 'Rolees is, but it still annoys me. I also generally annoyed by "little people" shows, so that doesn't help. lol

pitbullmamaliz

Postby furever_pit » January 12th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Honestly, I'd rather get the Pit Bull out of the media period. I think these shows (even while attempting to provide positive press) are doing harm to the breed. These shows keep the Pit Bull in its spot as a trendy dog to have and I think we all know that not everyone should own a Pit Bull. As long as this breed is so popular there will be people who don't understand the full truth of these dogs and, as a result, will be unable, unwilling, or just unprepared to care for, train, and contain the dogs properly.

After all, you know what they say? The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » January 12th, 2011, 8:12 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Do you think that the positive pit bull shows(mainly on Animal Planet) on TV nowadays are helping turn the tide of negative thoughts towards the breed?

I don't find them to be all that "positive"... Pit Boss brings a LOT of personal crap and drama to the show, and Tia warehouses dogs she can't afford unless she constantly begs for money in some shape or form.
IMO, the dogs in those shows just happen to be Pit Bulls, but it's really not about them all that much.
I was excited when the shows were first announced, but I'm pretty damned disappointed by all the dramatics that have nothing to do w/the dogs themselves. :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » January 12th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Okay, well I was thinking more of the Animal cops shows...that's what the kids seem to like, I don't hear them talk about the other two (Pit Boss/Parolees)...probably because of the drama.

They talk about the sad pit bulls that get brought in after fighting busts or some horrible thing, then are shown as happy adopted dogs.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby FAB dogs » January 12th, 2011, 10:10 pm

I don't know if it's a turning of the tide per se or if there's just more education going on. Seems to me the people I talk to at the shelter who love the breed love it fiercely. Those who don't care for the breed are just as fierce in their dislike. Perhaps some of these shows are just educating people who are on the fence to begin with.
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby pitsnok » January 13th, 2011, 12:11 am

Although I do agree that it probably makes pit bulls more 'trendy', I think the positive part of any of the shows outweighs that. When seeing them from our point of view we obviously see big glaring problems... BUT for the people who might still think pit bulls are the canine equivalent of saber tooth tigers at least they get to see them just being normal DOGS. Sure, I don't want everyone thinking they need to go out and get a pit bull but I think people wanting them is better than people being terrified of them. At least at this point.
I feel like they will always be a 'trendy' dog to have, (because people are idiots) so I think the shows are more beneficial over all than they are harming the breed.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » January 13th, 2011, 12:45 am

FAB dogs wrote:I don't know if it's a turning of the tide per se or if there's just more education going on. Seems to me the people I talk to at the shelter who love the breed love it fiercely. Those who don't care for the breed are just as fierce in their dislike. Perhaps some of these shows are just educating people who are on the fence to begin with.

I agree with this. I don't think the shows really are 'swaying' people but I do think that they are at least putting out positive information about these dogs and it helps further educate the public on the breed. We're that much closer to dispelling the 'locking jaw' myth!

I also agree as far as Pit Bulls go people either love them or hate them, there usually isn't much in between.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby TheRedQueen » January 13th, 2011, 8:50 am

What do you all think about a new generation of kids growing up seeing pit bulls in this more positive light...I guess that was my original question. Not so much that adults are being swayed (we know how hard that can be)...but that a generation of kids are seeing pit bulls in a better light (as in, not just from media outlets screaming about pit bull attacks). Do you think things might be easier as these kids get older?

I know that other breeds have gone through phases too...when I was a kid, I remember it being dobermans that would "turn on their owner"...but it never got to the same point, hype-wise.

TheRedQueen

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 13th, 2011, 9:59 am

I do think the shows are helping kids learn that pit bulls aren't evil. However, I have a feeling that parents are still going to be able to convince many a child that pit bulls will kill them.

It is fun when I'm out with Inara and a little kid shrieks in joy, "a pit bull!"

pitbullmamaliz

Postby LMM » January 13th, 2011, 10:26 am

I guess I give the kids a little more credit. I know of a few kids right now that volunteer with us, they have friends whose parents are part of the whole "pit bulls are the devil incarnate"movement. Whenever they are over to one of these parents houses they all gang up on with a little of their own education when that parents makes an ignorant statement, resident kids included.

I'm sure there will be some kids who are molded by their parents but I find that by and large, kids are their own individuals quite capable of forming their own opinions and speaking out loudly against their parents as often as possible lol
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby TheRedQueen » January 13th, 2011, 11:40 am

LMM wrote:I guess I give the kids a little more credit. I know of a few kids right now that volunteer with us, they have friends whose parents are part of the whole "pit bulls are the devil incarnate"movement. Whenever they are over to one of these parents houses they all gang up on with a little of their own education when that parents makes an ignorant statement, resident kids included.

I'm sure there will be some kids who are molded by their parents but I find that by and large, kids are their own individuals quite capable of forming their own opinions and speaking out loudly against their parents as often as possible lol

:clap:

Emma, (the youngster that sweet-talked me into rescuing this litter of puppies) really wanted her dad to keep one for her. He told her that pit bulls were no good (paraphrasing here)...and you should hear what she told me that said to her dad...that he was stupid, and that pit bulls were fine dogs, etc, etc, etc. I won't bore you with all of the details...but she gave him what for. :giggle:

TheRedQueen

Postby LMM » January 13th, 2011, 12:28 pm

Yea, most kids you can't tell them SHYT and they are very vocal about letting their parents know it too lol

Good for Emma!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk