F**K!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby amazincc » January 12th, 2011, 6:18 pm

Just now heard on the news that a five-year old girl was killed by two loose Pit Bulls in Waxhaw/Union County. Her grandmother was severely injured and is in the hospital. Both dogs were shot and killed by police.
The owner had previously (around Christmas) been cited for letting his dogs run loose, and was ordered to contain them properly.
They (news reporters) are still working on getting more detailed info about this tragedy.

WTF... this makes me so, so angry. I caught the news blurb in passing, and when I heard that a child had been killed by two dogs, my heart sank... I just knew it involved Pit Bulls before they even mentioned the breed.

Waxhaw/Union County is notorious for BYB when it comes to Pit Bulls. Dammit.

I'm literally sick to my stomach.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » January 12th, 2011, 6:49 pm

amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby hugapitbull » January 12th, 2011, 7:20 pm

I know what you mean, it just makes my heart sink when I hear that kind of news. Hopefully the owners will be charged with manslaughter. I hate that the dogs are always at fault and we never hear about the irresponsible owner.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 12th, 2011, 7:23 pm

How tragic. :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » January 12th, 2011, 7:56 pm

hugapitbull wrote:I know what you mean, it just makes my heart sink when I hear that kind of news. Hopefully the owners will be charged with manslaughter. I hate that the dogs are always at fault and we never hear about the irresponsible owner.

I think the dogs were loose in their own back yard, and the little girl tried to enter her neighbors yard, for whatever reason. :sad2:
Still... it's horrible and tragic, no matter why and how it happened.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BigDogBuford » January 12th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Does NOBODY teach their kids dog safety anymore?!?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby amazincc » January 12th, 2011, 9:18 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Does NOBODY teach their kids dog safety anymore?!?

No.
Nor do most people teach their kids to respect other peoples properties, or at least lead them by example.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » January 12th, 2011, 9:20 pm

amazincc wrote:
BigDogBuford wrote:Does NOBODY teach their kids dog safety anymore?!?

No.
Nor do most people teach their kids to respect other peoples properties, or at least lead them by example.

Exactly, I can't read the stories anymore. Makes me so upset to see how stupid people are. :mad2:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » January 12th, 2011, 9:25 pm

The entire report...it makes my head explode. She went into a fenced yard, yet the dogs were wandering the neighborhood...which was it?!?!

So very tragic and sad all around
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » January 12th, 2011, 9:32 pm

As far as I understood it... the dogs were loose and found wandering around Christmas.
The attack today happened in the owners back yard, and during the commotion one of the dogs got out and was later found wandering the neighborhood. He was then shot by police.
The owner wasn't home when all this occured.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » January 14th, 2011, 6:13 pm

Ugh... correction:
After investigating the incident further police determined that the little girl was in her own backyard when she was attacked. Her house is right next door to the Pit Bull owners home.
The dogs were *supposed* to be chained, but had gotten out once again.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » January 14th, 2011, 6:17 pm

amazincc wrote:Ugh... correction:
After investigating the incident further police determined that the little girl was in her own backyard when she was attacked. Her house is right next door to the Pit Bull owners home.
The dogs were *supposed* to be chained, but had gotten out once again.

:cry:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » January 18th, 2011, 3:22 am

http://www.examiner.com/dogs-in-nationa ... be-learned

Waxhaw, NC - Several news sources have reported on the tragic death of 5 yr-old Makayla Woodard on January 7. The young girl was attacked and killed in her own yard by 2 Pit bulls.

Her grandmother, Nancy Presson, 67, was also seriously injured in the attack while trying to protect her young grand-daughter.

Most news outlets covering this story have focused on just these facts - two vicious pit bulls attacked and killed. Leaving out the backstory.

One outlet, however, has shared the rest of the story. Information that explains much of what happened and information that people in positions of authority should take serious note of.

According to the Union County Weekly, the dogs involved in the attack were well known in the neighborhood. The female, a dog named Daisy, was so emaciated that she looked like she shouldn't be alive.

Several people reported seeing both dogs roaming the streets, unsupervised and searching for food. One person noted that the female looked as if she had recently had pups and that a tether was attached to her collar - in other words, she had been bred, left on a tie-out and from the looks of her body - starved.

Others reported that the dogs were "usually secured on a chain" but occassionally left out to roam. One neighbor had contacted animal control to let them know that the dogs were being neglected and that they should be removed from the owner's home. They were told that "animal control" could do nothing".

The dog's owner? A man named Michael Gordan. The 23 yr-old man had been released from prison last May after serving 10 months on felony charges including breaking and entering.

The basic components for a dangerous dog situation are all here. Irresponsible dog ownership by a negligent owner.

This is where the people in positions of authority need to pay attention. Animal abuse and negligence needs to be taken seriously. It's more than "just a dog" - by ignoring the suffering of dogs you are potentially contributing to a tragic situation such as that which happened to the innocent 5 yr-old girl last Wednesday.

Dogs that are starved, abused, and ignored can become aggessive and unstable. Slaps on the wrist or turning away from the problem gives that much more time that the dog will suffer and more opportunities for an attack situation to take place.

People fighting for Breed Specific Legislation - read this article again and read it carefully. You will find all of the elements that people against Breed Specific Legislation keep trying to make you understand.

It's about the owners, it is not about bad dogs. Look at who owns the majority of the dogs that are involved in bite situations. They are horrible owners - negligent, abusive, uncaring - they should not own dogs - period.

If you "want" a dog, only to stick him on the end of a chain in a backyard, you don't really "want" a dog. Put an old car in your yard instead. Something that isn't alive - breathing, feeling, suffering.

There are so many victims in this sad situation. A 5 yr-old child is dead. Her grandmother, wounded and grieving. Devastated parents, heart-broken neighbors.

Last but not least, the 2 dogs involved in the attack - undoubtedly euthanized for the horrible incident. Two dogs that "snapped" after enduring severe neglect - a sad, culmination of the bad ownership they experienced for too long.

For those individuals that work tirelessly to fight breed specific legislation, please forward this on to those people that you are trying to explain your standpoint to.

Pit bulls are vilified in society because so many of them are owned by pathetic excuses for owners. Pit bulls are villified in society because so many news outlets don't bother sharing the backstory to the "attack" situation.

Makayla didn't need to die. Perhaps if animal control agencies and law-makers will start to take animal abuse and neglect more seriously, her death won't be in vain.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TinaMartin » January 18th, 2011, 9:19 am

How sad.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Tubular Toby » January 18th, 2011, 9:59 am

Very tragic and sad. Maybe that article will get through to at least ONE person out there.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby HUMBLE CHIEF » January 25th, 2011, 5:56 pm

Sooo sad...Between Tx & La.we hear about them type of attacks all the time...I always say,there are more bad owners then there are bad dogs/pitbulls..People dont take into consideration the way they house/treat these dogs will have a major affect on there attitudes/behavior..
HUMBLE CHIEF
Just Whelped

Return to Pit Bull Talk