need some help with thi one.

Postby Rolex+Deebo » January 12th, 2011, 3:41 pm

yesterday i saw a APBT running downthe street. Naturaly i picked it up. he was very scared, showed his teeth when i snaped the leash to the collar, but did not bite. i didnt know what to do with him, so we just drove around doing all my stuff with him in the back of the wagon. he was very untrusting, stiff, and just terrified. after an hr or so i got home got him out and spent some time wiht him. now that he trusts me, he is a ham, attention hooch, goofy young dog. so i thouht all was ok. then my BF came, and ignored him for a while cuz we could see that he was not comftible. wonce he was fine around the BF, he tried to pet him. the dog showed his teeth, and dodged him. so some more ignring, and try aain, this time he showed teeth, groweled, and snaped at the air. so that was the end of BFs helping. lol. he is fine to be around the BF, doesnt mind being right next to him as long as BF shows no atteniton. a soon as he tryies to talk to him,he gets scared and defencive. he is good with me, i can correct him, lift him, roll him over, and he just loves it and gives me kisses. he is good with the two girls, and great with the cats. have not been brave enough to let him and Deebo meet. Sooo anysugestions would be great. FYI, I am typing @ll this from mm phone cuz computer is dead. so barewith me. lol
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 12th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Have the BF ignore him, but toss treats to him. After a while, though still ignoring, put some on his hand flat on the couch and just sit there and let the dog decide to take them or not. Lather rinse repeat.

I would not introduce until you have a solid handle on his behaviors because if it goes badly, it could go really badly.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » January 12th, 2011, 5:43 pm

Aren't you going to look for his owner or post that you found him?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amazincc » January 12th, 2011, 5:47 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Aren't you going to look for his owner or post that you found him?

This.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby DemoDick » January 12th, 2011, 5:57 pm

amazincc wrote:
iluvk9 wrote:Aren't you going to look for his owner or post that you found him?

This.

In this area that usually means the dog will get loose again and be killed in a shelter, best case scenario.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby amazincc » January 12th, 2011, 6:27 pm

DemoDick wrote:In this area that usually means the dog will get loose again and be killed in a shelter, best case scenario.

Demo Dick

Oh. :cry:

I keep forgetting that a crapload of irresponsible dog owners walk among those of us who would be devestated if our dogs accidentally got loose/lost.
My bad.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » January 12th, 2011, 7:02 pm

I still think the owner should be looked for. How can anyone say THIS is a dog that has an irresponsible owner? Yes, it was loose, but can we count how many members here have had a dog loose? I had three at once, about 8 years ago. I am very responsible.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby DemoDick » January 12th, 2011, 7:10 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I still think the owner should be looked for. How can anyone say THIS is a dog that has an irresponsible owner? Yes, it was loose, but can we count how many members here have had a dog loose? I had three at once, about 8 years ago. I am very responsible.

You went looking for your animals, didn't you? That's the difference.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby amazincc » January 12th, 2011, 7:13 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I still think the owner should be looked for. How can anyone say THIS is a dog that has an irresponsible owner? Yes, it was loose, but can we count how many members here have had a dog loose? I had three at once, about 8 years ago. I am very responsible.

I agree... but it's always a catch-22, in case the owners are asshats, and the dog has to be returned to a crappy situation. :neutral:
I definitely HOPE that someone would be looking for me, if one of mine ever got out.
Have you checked the shelters and "lost and found" on your CL to see if someone is looking for him?
Get him scanned to see if he's chipped?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby DemoDick » January 12th, 2011, 7:19 pm

You guys need to understand the reality of this area. We probably get 30-40 "loose dog" calls a day in the city, possibly more. Nine times out of ten the owners don't even care that the dog was loose, they just get upset when they are ticketed. The animals spend their lives tied up in the backyard and if they're lucky they get enough to eat. People routinely call AC to pick up dogs and cats that they just don't want any more. It's a safe bet that, around here, returning a dog to an owner who didn't bother to come looking for it is a bad idea.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby Rolex+Deebo » January 12th, 2011, 7:28 pm

actually i found the owner 5 min after i found the dog. after i picked him up, i drove up the street where he came runing from and there were some people standind outside, so i pulled over and asked if they knew where the dog liived, or who around has dogs. the responded by telling me that they "dont want that dog" so i asked more questions, and then he said that they just let him loose, cuz they have too many dogs, and "didnt know this one like that" that they didnt have him long. then it came out that they got him 2years ago from webster, and let him loose cuz they didnt want him anymore. I asked y did he not just take him to the pound he said he figured that they would pick him up any way. so, after telling him that he is an ignorant pos, and to never own a dog again i drove quickly off. so i will b filing a sitation, so he can get a ticket for a loose dog, and contacting lolipop, about a abandonmant charge. thats what the lady told me to do when i called thepound.

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » January 12th, 2011, 7:31 pm

DemoDick wrote:You guys need to understand the reality of this area. We probably get 30-40 "loose dog" calls a day in the city, possibly more. Nine times out of ten the owners don't even care that the dog was loose, they just get upset when they are ticketed. The animals spend their lives tied up in the backyard and if they're lucky they get enough to eat. People routinely call AC to pick up dogs and cats that they just don't want any more. It's a safe bet that, around here, returning a dog to an owner who didn't bother to come looking for it is a bad idea.

Demo Dick

I've lived in crappy areas for most of my life, but I've always been a responsible person/pet owner.
I live in a pretty nice area now, but loose/off-leash/lost dogs are a daily occurence here, too.
It's entirely possible that this dog got away accidentally from that one responsible person out of ten people... isn't it?

To assume = makes an ass out of u and me. :neener: :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » January 12th, 2011, 7:36 pm

My point was that we don't know if the owner IS looking for the dog or not. There is no way of knowing if the owner IS looking for the dog unless an effort is made to FIND the owner.

And keeping him in her home (and with him getting snarky the minute she met him) just doesn't seem like a good plan to me. Not to insult you, Rolex+Deebo, but a visiting dog as you described, sounds way out of your comfort zone and expertise.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amazincc » January 12th, 2011, 7:38 pm

Rolex+Deebo wrote:actually i found the owner 5 min after i found the dog. after i picked him up, i drove up the street where he came runing from and there were some people standind outside, so i pulled over and asked if they knew where the dog liived, or who around has dogs. the responded by telling me that they "dont want that dog" so i asked more questions, and then he said that they just let him loose, cuz they have too many dogs, and "didnt know this one like that" that they didnt have him long. then it came out that they got him 2years ago from webster, and let him loose cuz they didnt want him anymore. I asked y did he not just take him to the pound he said he figured that they would pick him up any way. so, after telling him that he is an ignorant pos, and to never own a dog again i drove quickly off. so i will b filing a sitation, so he can get a ticket for a loose dog, and contacting lolipop, about a abandonmant charge. thats what the lady told me to do when i called thepound.

Well... you didn't mention THAT. That's an entirely different situation then. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby DemoDick » January 12th, 2011, 7:39 pm

Again...if the owner didn't come looking for the dog, they are not the person to return the dog to. That's not an assumption, that's reality. It is a VERY safe bet that the owner doesn't give a crap. If they did, there would have been a knock at the door or a "Lost Dog" sign left in the event no one answered.

You guys are severely overestimating the demographics here.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby DemoDick » January 12th, 2011, 7:40 pm

I see that in the mean time, the OP has confirmed my suspicions. Not surprised at all.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby amazincc » January 12th, 2011, 7:51 pm

DemoDick wrote:I see that in the mean time, the OP has confirmed my suspicions. Not surprised at all.

Demo Dick

Just once I wish I could prove you - and myself - wrong. Really... just once. *sighs* :neutral:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Rolex+Deebo » January 12th, 2011, 8:32 pm

sorry i didnt mention that before, just too much to type on a phone! lol we have been doing just that michale, and he is fine wih all that. so for now everyone pretends tha he's not there. im the only one that can talk/touch him. hes just a sweet pea with all the animals, in a constant play bow. he is great with food, i can take it away, and/or push him away from if. will wait a couple of days to c how he is with high value items, houh the food seems to be up there in value. got to go, but will write more later. :)

Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » January 12th, 2011, 9:30 pm

Rolex+Deebo wrote:sorry i didnt mention that before, just too much to type on a phone! lol we have been doing just that michale, and he is fine wih all that. so for now everyone pretends tha he's not there. im the only one that can talk/touch him. hes just a sweet pea with all the animals, in a constant play bow. he is great with food, i can take it away, and/or push him away from if. will wait a couple of days to c how he is with high value items, houh the food seems to be up there in value. got to go, but will write more later. :)

Please, please, please don't keep pushing this dog's buttons to see how he is with things. When I get a foster, I'm always really, really careful with everything, I don't do any major handling until I've had the dog at least a few weeks...just leash walking, feeding in a crate, etc.

Especially if this dog is unsocialized and unknown...I'd really recommend that you back off of the physical stuff, and just be more hands-off for now.

What is the plan for this dog?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » January 12th, 2011, 9:52 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:
Rolex+Deebo wrote:sorry i didnt mention that before, just too much to type on a phone! lol we have been doing just that michale, and he is fine wih all that. so for now everyone pretends tha he's not there. im the only one that can talk/touch him. hes just a sweet pea with all the animals, in a constant play bow. he is great with food, i can take it away, and/or push him away from if. will wait a couple of days to c how he is with high value items, houh the food seems to be up there in value. got to go, but will write more later. :)

Please, please, please don't keep pushing this dog's buttons to see how he is with things. When I get a foster, I'm always really, really careful with everything, I don't do any major handling until I've had the dog at least a few weeks...just leash walking, feeding in a crate, etc.

Especially if this dog is unsocialized and unknown...I'd really recommend that you back off of the physical stuff, and just be more hands-off for now.

I was JUST about to say this. Give the dog some time - and not just because he needs to settle in, but because you need to get to know him. If you "try high value items" before you know him he could get very defensive and things could get ugly.

I am not in the camp of "push every button and see what happens" he may like you now because you haven't done anything "wrong" in his eyes. There are more than a few people here who had dogs for a while, who knew them quite well, who suddenly had that dog do something very unexpected over handling, high value treats or other trigger. Don't make our mistakes... that's why we made them already! :wink:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Rescue