Does This Look Like Ringworm?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby BigDogBuford » January 9th, 2011, 7:24 pm

To you guys? It's been so long since I've seen it and none of my personal dogs has ever had it. It was completely covered with fur, and when I cleaned it up I noticed a raised edge around the outer circle. The skin inside the circle is pretty red and the rest of the fur/skin kind of peeled off when I cleaned it up. I seem to remember ringworm looking something like this.

~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 9th, 2011, 7:44 pm

It does to me. I got it from some kittens when I was a kid.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » January 9th, 2011, 8:00 pm

Yeah, I haven't seen ringworm for years...but that looks like it.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BigDogBuford » January 9th, 2011, 8:03 pm

That's what I thought. Minnie is a dirty, dirty girl. :wink:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby airwalk » January 9th, 2011, 8:17 pm

It looks like it to me as well.
airwalk
I live here

Postby copperlegend » January 9th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Yep.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » January 10th, 2011, 12:06 am

that would be my guess if you'd asked me what it was...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » January 10th, 2011, 12:23 am

Yesssss. Looks just like the spot I had on my neck this summer. EEEEW.

Clotrimazole cream (OTC) killed mine.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby BigDogBuford » January 10th, 2011, 12:50 am

call2arms wrote:Yesssss. Looks just like the spot I had on my neck this summer. EEEEW.

Clotrimazole cream (OTC) killed mine.

Yep, got Minnie started on that tonight. Washed all the dogs with Miconazole shampoo just in case and am currently sanitizing all the dog laundry. Joy.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » January 10th, 2011, 1:49 am

that sucks!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 10th, 2011, 8:49 am

BigDogBuford wrote:Minnie is a dirty, dirty girl. :wink:

And you will be too if you're not careful! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby LMM » January 10th, 2011, 11:26 am

I'd say a definite yes but we just had a puppy that had spots like that. We had her tested for ringworm and the UV test came back slight positive too, well it wasn't ringworm :\
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby BigDogBuford » January 10th, 2011, 12:07 pm

I started treatment for ringworm just in case but she's going into the vet on Tuesday so we can culture and make sure.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby call2arms » January 10th, 2011, 6:34 pm

LMM : did you find out what it is?

Ringworm sucks. My friend has a husky who's caught it from the horses at the barn this summer (the horses got it most likely from one of the barn feral cats)... She's still fighting it even with the diluted horse meds (I think it's Imaverol), along with Canesten and essential oils.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby amalie79 » January 11th, 2011, 4:35 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:It does to me. I got it from some kittens when I was a kid.

Ditto. I was taking care of a litter of kittens with ringworm last year and the vet told me that I've had so many cats (we had 17 when I was at one point when I was in grade school :shock: because I kept feeding the strays that showed up to birth their babies before my parents could stop me :doh: lots of strays in the 'hood) that I shouldn't worry about catching it anymore-- he said I'm probably immune to it. lol

The one cat we adopted from a shelter had a very, very stubborn case of it, plus a bad reaction to one of the topical meds. We ended up having to get something heavy duty shipped from a compounding pharmacy. It eventually did the trick, and I didn't catch it at all that time, either.

Usually it's easy to get rid of, but once in a while, a case is just a pain in the arse.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby call2arms » January 12th, 2011, 12:20 am

I think I have IT on my foreheaaaad!!!!!!
:o :o

I hate ringworm!

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby plebayo » January 12th, 2011, 12:26 am

call2arms wrote:I think I have IT on my foreheaaaad!!!!!!
:o :o

I hate ringworm!

EWWW! :neener: :wave2:

I had it for like several months... only because I was lazy and would forget to put the Miconazole cream on it 2x a day. Once I started actually treating it it finally went away - it wasn't too bothersome as it was just on my leg, but it still sucks!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby call2arms » January 12th, 2011, 12:34 am

It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't on my face. It's like a dime-sized spot and a pea sized one. And it's ridiculously itchy!!

I had it on my neck this summer, but for god's sake, it's on my forehead (if it's really what it is). I've had an itchy fit for about a week, but I have eczema so I didn't think anything of it (although I've never had it elsewhere than my arms, hands and lower legs)...

But this morning I showed it to a coworker and she told me she tought it looked like very very faint ringworm. I had someone look at it under the UV lamp, doesn't fluoresce. So we did a scraping and a fungassay. In the meantime, I'm borrowing the clotrimazole tube from someone (miconazole worked sh*t for me this summer).

I don't understand, I must be immunosuppressed cause I've dealt with ringworm many times before this summer and never, ever caught it. In some instances during spay/neuter clinics I'd be vigorously petting a tomcat and realize had a bunch of ringworm spots and be like, oh crap! and nothing ever happened.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby amazincc » January 12th, 2011, 1:16 am

This thread is making me REALLY itchy. :shock: :nono:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BigDogBuford » January 25th, 2011, 12:36 pm

We were all wrong, it wasn't ringworm. We have idea what it was but it's healing up just fine. :|
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health