Winter Question

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby amazincc » January 11th, 2011, 1:46 pm

I know what to watch for when it's extremely hot, but how long is it okay for a dog to be out in cold temps, snow/ice?

Daisy and Sepp run out quickly to potty and come right back in... but Baby Chicken lacks common sense in regard to the cold weather. He'd be out there for hours, literally, if I let him.
I've restricted him to 30 minutes at a time, and then bribe and cajole him to come back in and get warmed up, and he will be by the front door, whining and tap dancing to go back out the whole time. :rolleyes2: :nono: :crazy2:

I've never been owned by a Pit/Polar Bear X before, so... what's the protocol for that?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » January 11th, 2011, 2:05 pm

I think your 30 minutes is a good amount of time. *Most likely* he would stop if he became chilled or started to get frostbite, but, you never know with this breed! How cold IS it? Could you translate to celcius?
Oscar will eat snow for the entire walk if there is snow outside. I've seen him hunch-backed, shivering, munching away on snow :rolleyes2: Mind you, I think he also has a better grasp on his limits, by a small margin.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » January 11th, 2011, 2:17 pm

We're at 0 Celsius right now... :rolleyes2:

His ears and eyes get bright pink and he shivers, but that could be caused by exitment... since he does it when it's time to eat as well. lol
He DOES run around like a maniac the whole time and throws around his toys, or I venture out there to play fetch w/him... but I get cold with a jacket on, so I know he must be freezing. :shock:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 11th, 2011, 2:25 pm

I always judge it on the wind chill. If it's in the teens or less Inara's going out and coming back in. If it's higher than that she can stay out longer, but not a whole lot. I worry about her ears and toes.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby BigDogBuford » January 11th, 2011, 2:27 pm

Doogie does the same thing except that he *eats* snow the whole time. In fact he eats so much snow that he'll be shivering and whining that he has to pee. I let him out to pee (which is like an awesomely long Austin Powers pee) and while he's peeing he's eating more snow! :crazy2:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby amazincc » January 11th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Faust doesn't eat a lot of snow... but he buries his whole head in it, rolls in it, and pretty much just runs around in circles for the pure joy of it.
He is usually a very obedient boy when I call him, but the weather seems to have turned him deaf in both ears. :|

I keep a running supply of little pieces of chicken and warm towels ready, just for him. lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BigDogBuford » January 11th, 2011, 2:41 pm

Doogie ate so much snow yesterday that he looked like he was preggers.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby amazincc » January 11th, 2011, 2:45 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Doogie ate so much snow yesterday that he looked like he was preggers.

:shock: :giggle:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » January 11th, 2011, 3:13 pm

"But I don't WANNA come in!!!" :sad2:

amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » January 11th, 2011, 4:26 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Doogie does the same thing except that he *eats* snow the whole time. In fact he eats so much snow that he'll be shivering and whining that he has to pee. I let him out to pee (which is like an awesomely long Austin Powers pee) and while he's peeing he's eating more snow! :crazy2:

omd, so Oscar :lol3:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health