I may choke my cat

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby iluvk9 » January 10th, 2011, 12:29 pm

:dance:

Unless someone has a suggestion that works.

Bo has decided to pee in his litter box but poop OUTSIDE of it. :doh:

He has a cat condo and his box has been in that, along with food...located on a shelf... for 6 years.

The condo is in a freaking PRIVATE ROOM with a baby gate up so the dogs don't bother him. :rolleyes2:

The litter is the same I have used for 6 years and I not only clean it every day, I EMPTY it every two days and put fresh litter in it.

He is about 14 years old and doesn't seem senile to me. No medical problems. No medications. Same food for 6 years.

Please help me....I don't want to join a cat forum. :mrgreen: They may make me tell about all the 'fun and cute things he does'.....And I got nothing.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amazincc » January 10th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Maybe give him a second litter box for pooping purposes? :|

I think I hate picking up cat poop even more than cleaning up dog vomit. :puke:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby plebayo » January 10th, 2011, 1:48 pm

amazincc wrote:Maybe give him a second litter box for pooping purposes? :|

You big weener!

He could be having a problem IE: constipation, impacted anal glands, parasites, something could be making him not want to poop in the box due to it being an unpleasant experience, so if you can you might just send out a fecal with your vet to make sure that all looks okay.

It also could be due to stress, so you could try a feliway diffuser which is said to help cats that are having anxiety.

You might also try a new box and new litter.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby LMM » January 10th, 2011, 2:03 pm

plebayo wrote:
amazincc wrote:Maybe give him a second litter box for pooping purposes? :|

You big weener!

He could be having a problem IE: constipation, impacted anal glands, parasites, something could be making him not want to poop in the box due to it being an unpleasant experience, so if you can you might just send out a fecal with your vet to make sure that all looks okay.

It also could be due to stress, so you could try a feliway diffuser which is said to help cats that are having anxiety.

You might also try a new box and new litter.

Ditto! Well except for weener, I would never call you that Joyce :D

lol
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby madremissy » January 10th, 2011, 2:23 pm

Bo, Bo, Bo :nono: driving your mommy crazy again.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby BigDogBuford » January 10th, 2011, 2:35 pm

Try adding some Cat Attract litter.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Tubular Toby » January 10th, 2011, 2:38 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Please help me....I don't want to join a cat forum. :mrgreen: They may make me tell about all the 'fun and cute things he does'.....And I got nothing.

:ROFL2:
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby SisMorphine » January 10th, 2011, 3:34 pm

Does he have a cover over his litter box or is it just open? I found as my cat got older she had a habit of hanging herself over the side of the litter box when she went, and covering it helped a little bit.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby iluvk9 » January 10th, 2011, 4:25 pm

And as pointed out to me, very politely in a pm.... I SPELLED CHOKE INCORRECTLY! 8) Can you see how annoyed I am????

Give me a minute to respond...I have bigger fish to fry over in the GALLERY SECTION. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » January 10th, 2011, 4:44 pm

OK, I am back to this thread. I will try covering his litter box with one of those hoods I have seen. I will also get the Vet to check his poop (but I snuck up on him and watched him once...while it wasn't pretty, he didn't seem to be having any problems...) :| I never heard of Cat Attract Litter, so I will look for that.

Lucky for Bo, he has friends on PBT.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » January 10th, 2011, 4:55 pm

He's probably stressed for some strange reason...there was a great article that just came out about how they studied a bunch of cats, and found even healthy cats will not use the litter boxes if they're stressed slightly (the problem is...what's stressing them?!?!)

I'd second the Cat Attract, and the second litter box. (says she who has 10 litter boxes for 5 cats)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BullyLady » January 10th, 2011, 5:40 pm

TheRedQueen wrote: (says she who has 10 litter boxes for 5 cats)

That is impressive! My two cats share one box. :oops: My vet always recommends the number of cats you have plus one for number of litter boxes, though. Maybe Bo is just demanding his plus one? :|
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby copperlegend » January 10th, 2011, 5:47 pm

Carrera has 2 litter boxes, and she oddly seems to do mostly pee in one, and mostly poop in another.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » January 10th, 2011, 7:12 pm

BullyLady wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote: (says she who has 10 litter boxes for 5 cats)

That is impressive! My two cats share one box. :oops: My vet always recommends the number of cats you have plus one for number of litter boxes, though. Maybe Bo is just demanding his plus one? :|

I'm not good about cleaning them...so I give them extras. 8)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » January 10th, 2011, 7:56 pm

I could fit TWO boxes in the bottom of the condo, but I don't know if he'd have enough room to jump up to the shelf for food and water.

And STRESS?? WHAT STRESS DOES A FREAKING CAT HAVE??????
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » January 10th, 2011, 8:01 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I could fit TWO boxes in the bottom of the condo, but I don't know if he'd have enough room to jump up to the shelf for food and water.

And STRESS?? WHAT STRESS DOES A FREAKING CAT HAVE??????

Maybe he is worrying about his buddy Truman. :|
madremissy

Postby iluvk9 » January 10th, 2011, 8:02 pm

madremissy wrote:Maybe he is worrying about his buddy Truman. :|

Bo is in love with Lenny and visa-versa. Truman tends to step on Bo, by mistake.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » January 10th, 2011, 8:06 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
madremissy wrote:Maybe he is worrying about his buddy Truman. :|

Bo is in love with Lenny and visa-versa. Truman tends to step on Bo, by mistake.

Ok, well then maybe he is pissed at Truman and taking it out on you. :neener:
madremissy

Postby Ino » January 10th, 2011, 8:31 pm

Is he an indoor or indoor/outdoor cat? I've known a few people whose cats did that when they got tapeworm (most likely from rodent consumption since they were indoor outdoor). Other than that, I agree with everyone's suggestions above. Cats are a trip- could be MANY different things :rolleyes2: . I want to see a pic of this condo he has!!!
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 10th, 2011, 8:36 pm

It's really just a cat cage. This is an older photo. He never sleeps in it. Just eats and poops on the floor of it. :dance: The litter box is much larger now and the shelf he is sleeping on is where the food dishes go. There isn't any bedding in it.

He is an inside cat. Once in a blue moon, in the summer, he will sit on the deck with us, but not for more than 2 minutes. SCAREDY CAT!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Next

Return to Off-Topic