Another Pigeon Question

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ArtGypsy » January 7th, 2011, 7:40 pm

Okay.
It seems like Pigeon has started itching again.... :(
Could it this be brought on because her pred. has been cut to every other day instead of every day? :|

She's all flaky and spends a lot of time rolling along side the furniture )and my legs( and twisting on her back.

I haven't given her a bath since we first got her; and have received some nice soap from Noel that Birdie uses...with a skin allergy dog, are baths an important part of maintenance?

I have not added grains or anything to her diet either. Still the TOTW Pacific Stream
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby madremissy » January 7th, 2011, 8:14 pm

This is just a thought and I know that Kinzyl does this. When I let her wear her shirt, sweatshirt, or sweater for a while she starts to rub up against the furniture. I now change her clothes more often and take them off for a while everyday. I know that some dogs have the shirts and clothes on to keep them from scratching but that is just my experience with Kinzyl.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby ArtGypsy » January 7th, 2011, 8:33 pm

THANKS!!
I have been changing her shirts every day, but I do leave them on all day. And right now she has on one of Kelcie's hoodies.
ArtGypsy

Postby plebayo » January 7th, 2011, 10:20 pm

The itching could be brought on by cutting down the pred. Maybe talk to your vet about giving it everyday again, but maybe doing a lesser dose every day. She just might not be ready to wean off of it. Did her old owners seem to notice her having an itchier time certain times of year?

The shirts could be causing some irritation, but if you noticed it right when you switched doses, it could be the pred dose.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » January 7th, 2011, 10:56 pm

Have you washed her shirts? She might have a sensitivity to the laundry detergent.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby plebayo » January 7th, 2011, 11:03 pm

amazincc wrote:Have you washed her shirts? She might have a sensitivity to the laundry detergent.

Another great point... I totally forgot about detergent sensitivity!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby mnp13 » January 7th, 2011, 11:26 pm

amazincc wrote:Have you washed her shirts? She might have a sensitivity to the laundry detergent.

and/or drier sheets.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » January 7th, 2011, 11:31 pm

FYI: The shirts you received from me were washed in a natural laundry detergent with no sulfates. (I'm allergic to them) and no dryer sheets.

The same for the fabric that I made the collars from. I pre-wash ALL of the dog collar fabrics with the same detergent I use and don't use dryer sheets on them.

This is so that the collars will not warp if the fabric shrinks when you wash the collar. Many a good piece of embroidery has been ruined because the fabric was not pre-washed.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Hoyden » January 7th, 2011, 11:32 pm

Oh and coming off prednisone makes you itch like you can't imagine. When I've been weaned off of it, I have to sleep with cotton gloves on and be doped up with atarax or I will peel my skin off.

I seriously want to go rub against trees or stucco houses or those big huge cow itchers that I see in the fields because my skin itches so much from the weaning.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby plebayo » January 7th, 2011, 11:46 pm

Hoyden wrote:Oh and coming off prednisone makes you itch like you can't imagine. When I've been weaned off of it, I have to sleep with cotton gloves on and be doped up with atarax or I will peel my skin off.

I seriously want to go rub against trees or stucco houses or those big huge cow itchers that I see in the fields because my skin itches so much from the weaning.

It must vary from person to person :? it never made me itchy when I was coming off of it. But man it sure made me feel horrible while I had to take it! I really had a lot of issues with sore joints and it made me super puffy and hungry all the time.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Hoyden » January 8th, 2011, 2:24 am

plebayo wrote:
Hoyden wrote:Oh and coming off prednisone makes you itch like you can't imagine. When I've been weaned off of it, I have to sleep with cotton gloves on and be doped up with atarax or I will peel my skin off.

It must vary from person to person :? it never made me itchy when I was coming off of it. But man it sure made me feel horrible while I had to take it! I really had a lot of issues with sore joints and it made me super puffy and hungry all the time.

It did all that too.

The two weeks I was weaned off, I think I lived in my "early warning" t-shirts. Wicked Witch; Bitch Goddess; Run if you know what's good for you and She who must be obeyed t-shirts.

Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby TheRedQueen » January 8th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Just to add: just remember...you don't really *know* what her allergy is yet. Grain-free is a good way to go, but it's not the be-all-to-end-all. She might have a protein allergy, or something else. Figgy ended up on grain free after numerous tries on good foods that contained some grain...and we've experimented since then with what he can have...and he always itches from grain ingredients.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » January 8th, 2011, 5:48 pm

You can give her Benadryl (the generic works just as well and is tons cheaper) while weaning her off Prednisone... Faust was terribly itchy, and it made a huge difference.

I agree w/Erin... figuring out what does - and doesn't - work for an allergy dog is a looooong process. :nono:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » January 8th, 2011, 10:35 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Just to add: just remember...you don't really *know* what her allergy is yet. Grain-free is a good way to go, but it's not the be-all-to-end-all. She might have a protein allergy, or something else. Figgy ended up on grain free after numerous tries on good foods that contained some grain...and we've experimented since then with what he can have...and he always itches from grain ingredients.

yeah,,,,,thanks for the reminder, Erin.

I had hoped the Fish/Potato would eliminate MOST of the food allergens..... :?
I've kept her to only potato/fish treats too.

but your're right.
it COULD be environmental. DUST. OY...what will do with THAT?
ArtGypsy

Postby ArtGypsy » January 8th, 2011, 10:36 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Just to add: just remember...you don't really *know* what her allergy is yet. Grain-free is a good way to go, but it's not the be-all-to-end-all. She might have a protein allergy, or something else. Figgy ended up on grain free after numerous tries on good foods that contained some grain...and we've experimented since then with what he can have...and he always itches from grain ingredients.

yeah,,,,,thanks for the reminder, Erin.

I had hoped the Fish/Potato would eliminate MOST of the food allergens..... :?
I've kept her to only potato/fish treats too.

but your're right.
it COULD be environmental. DUST. OY...what will do with THAT?
ArtGypsy

Postby TheRedQueen » January 8th, 2011, 10:36 pm

As a person with weird allergies (sulfites, yeast)...I feel for these poor dogs and owners...luckily Figgy's problems have been mainly figured out.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ArtGypsy » January 8th, 2011, 10:37 pm

amazincc wrote:You can give her Benadryl (the generic works just as well and is tons cheaper) while weaning her off Prednisone... Faust was terribly itchy, and it made a huge difference.

I agree w/Erin... figuring out what does - and doesn't - work for an allergy dog is a looooong process. :nono:

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNO.
NO NO NO.
I WANT THIS:
bring her home.
give good food and allergy medicine.
Have Normal Happy Dog.

In.
that.
Order.
:neener:
ArtGypsy

Postby amazincc » January 8th, 2011, 10:48 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNO.
NO NO NO.
I WANT THIS:
bring her home.
Have Normal Happy Dog.

In.
that.
Order.

You forgot to add - BE PATIENT!!! :wave2:
You simply cannot undo in 2-3 weeks what this girl has lived with in the past year. You need to give everything some time to work... her meds, her new food, her treats, her new environment.
Her whole body was under enormous stress, and any changes for the better will still take time.

But, on the off-chance that I'm wrong, let me dig out my magic wand and make it happen NOW! :neener:

Worry Wart!
:wink: :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » January 8th, 2011, 11:08 pm

amazincc wrote:
ArtGypsy wrote:
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNO.
NO NO NO.
I WANT THIS:
bring her home.
Have Normal Happy Dog.

In.
that.
Order.

You forgot to add - BE PATIENT!!! :wave2:
You simply cannot undo in 2-3 weeks what this girl has lived with in the past year. You need to give everything some time to work... her meds, her new food, her treats, her new environment.
Her whole body was under enormous stress, and any changes for the better will still take time.

But, on the off-chance that I'm wrong, let me dig out my magic wand and make it happen NOW! :neener:

Worry Wart!
:wink: :hug3:

:rolleyes2: :confused: :kiss2:
I KNOW I KNOW.

Well, I guess I 'KNOW" this to be true....and I'd give out the same information if I read this from another worried poster.
But for some reason I EXPECT more....Intensive, Active Intervention.

My time table just isn't realistic. :|
ArtGypsy

Postby amazincc » January 8th, 2011, 11:26 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:
:rolleyes2: :confused: :kiss2:
I KNOW I KNOW.

Well, I guess I 'KNOW" this to be true....and I'd give out the same information if I read this from another worried poster.
But for some reason I EXPECT more....Intensive, Active Intervention.

My time table just isn't realistic. :|

I'm the same way. If one of mine has as much as a hangnail I have a full-blown panic attack. :rolleyes2: :oops:

Enjoy her enjoying herself. That alone will help you realize how far she has already come. All the rest will follow. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health