Useless dog!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 8th, 2011, 11:05 am

I'm not a big fan of the guardian breeds (I like my dog that I can trust with everybody), so oh how I wish I had the money to have Inara trained enough so that when I go to investigate a weird noise in the house, she comes with me instead of takes my warm place on the couch! Is it asking too much for her to at least LOOK scary, like she might bite somebody??? lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » January 8th, 2011, 11:34 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Is it asking too much for her to at least LOOK scary, like she might bite somebody???

Yes.

That's why you have a gun.

:neener:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby madremissy » January 8th, 2011, 11:52 am

I will send you Sammy. He likes to bark at any noise in the house. :nono:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » January 8th, 2011, 3:11 pm

well, there's one extreme or another ;) You COULD have a dog that at one point, randomly selected (like I was surprised, so it isn't like I was communicating my nerves) people to guard you from! How about that? :| Better alternative? :neener:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby airwalk » January 8th, 2011, 4:19 pm

I'll send you Magic..he'll investigate before you do.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Hoyden » January 8th, 2011, 4:27 pm

We play "what's that noise"?

Birdie wanted to beat me to the noise because it was a fun game.

Then she found a squirrel in the wall and dug a hole in it to get the squirrel.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby amazincc » January 8th, 2011, 6:17 pm

I'll let you have the boys for a week, and you are SO gonna appreciate Inara.
Any noise - real or imagined - is investigated at my house and in my yard... preferably at 3 AM in the morning and paired w/lots of howl-barking. A freakin' ant couldn't sneak up on us without Sepp being on high alert. :rolleyes2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TinaMartin » January 8th, 2011, 8:23 pm

I could send you Gator! ;)
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Hundilein » January 8th, 2011, 10:27 pm

This is one thing that Renee finally does well. She'll ignore non-odd noises, including (finally!) the neighbors, but will bark her big, scary dog bark at weird stuff. She's starting to be much better about shutting up when I ask her to, as well. And if I'm investigating something, she's right there with me, unless of course a squirrel or cat happens to run in the other direction.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 9th, 2011, 12:06 am

This is why you have to have multiple dogs...so at least ONE of them will alert you to EVERY single noise that happens in the house or neighborhood.

At least my Inara has toned down her alerting...she used to let me know when clouds passed overhead, leaves fell from the trees, the grass was growing, and every other minute detail of her existence.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » January 9th, 2011, 10:38 am

One time when Phil was out of town for work, there was some sort of Police standoff on my street in the middle of the night. I woke up and could hear radio/walkies and some men talking outside my house. It sounded very close, so I crept down the stairs looking out the windows and realized that they were two officers hiding in between my house and my neighbors, right next to our front porch. Scared the crap outta me at first!
My FOUR dogs all remained sound asleep in my bed under the blankets.

Although when Phil is out for the night, they usually go running and barking mad at any noise they hear that MIGHT be Daddy coming home. :rolleyes2:

ETA, Twitch the parrot is actually our alarm system for when something isn't right. He makes his alarm calls when he sees something going on outside the windows. He alerts me when he sees people in the street or big cars (like a fire engine once). The funniest one was during the day when he was carrying on like you wouldn't believe-- calling out loud panic alerts-- and I came to investigate what was upsetting him.
There was a woodchuck sitting on my neighbors sidewalk.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 9th, 2011, 10:46 am

Thank you for all the kind offers to send your crazy alarm-barkers up here! You all are TOO TOO kind! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

pitbullmamaliz

Postby Malli » January 9th, 2011, 3:30 pm

:) Oscar will hit the glass in our front door if someone speaks to him through it :) Don't you want him? :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby airwalk » January 9th, 2011, 8:29 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Thank you for all the kind offers to send your crazy alarm-barkers up here! You all are TOO TOO kind! lol

Hey we have your back...we're just here to help :D
airwalk
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » January 9th, 2011, 10:59 pm

I have twice so far had my dogs search the house when the alarm system went off, but I knew no one else was home. It's very comforting to be able to tell your dogs to go clear the house! BUT at the same time I can't just up and hire a dog walker because it'll take a while before Teeny would let anyone in the house without me here. SOOOO I guess you just have to pick what you'd rather have. Every once in a while I think it would be nice to have a dog walker. LOL!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 9th, 2011, 11:13 pm

However much I may joke, I love having the dog that allows anybody in. Like you said, it makes it much easier on those rare occasions that she needs somebody else to care for her. :)

pitbullmamaliz

Postby call2arms » January 10th, 2011, 12:11 am

My dog's mostly useless too, guard-wise. Won't even bark when someone rings the doorbell. I do like the fact that he likes everyone too, and is not threatening to people who I invite in. Just wiggles his butt.

It's happened once or twice that he's low-growled or barked at someone/something outside in the back, and THAT freaked me out. When a dog that never barks or growls at a noise does, you know (or at least believe) that there's something fishy. Nothing happened, but I was home alone and close to my baseball bat (cause I don't have guns) and my phone.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby SisMorphine » January 10th, 2011, 8:32 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:However much I may joke, I love having the dog that allows anybody in. Like you said, it makes it much easier on those rare occasions that she needs somebody else to care for her. :)

Yeah luckily my parents, sister, BIL, and two of my best friends can come and go as they please without issue so I have SOME help (possibly a few of my staff members could care for them as well, but I haven't tried it). When I move I'll have to hire a dog walker so I'm planning on finding someone as soon as I get out there and spending a month introducing Teeny to him/her. I don't anticipate a problem with Blue as he doesn't exactly have a guard-type personality, but you never know!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby amazincc » January 10th, 2011, 8:49 am

Well... just because Sepp has a big mouth doesn't mean he wouldn't show you the money hidden under my mattress once you come inside. :rolleyes2: :nono:

Not so sure about Daisy, actually... she has been putting on quite the show when the city picks up our garbage lately. :crazy2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LMM » January 10th, 2011, 12:28 pm

Mama barks if a flea farts 2 streets over. I'll gladly trade!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk