No Obvious Weight Gain for Pigeon?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby BullyLady » January 7th, 2011, 12:10 am

mnp13 wrote:Connor has backbone sticking up even when he's fat.

When we took him in he weighed 34 pounds, it took us four weeks to put ten pounds on him. Go s-l-o-w

Sirius is like that, he has a roach back going and even when his hip bones finally covered up you could still see vertebrae. Always freaked me out!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby ArtGypsy » January 7th, 2011, 10:25 am

amazincc wrote:Post some pics!

Does the vet think she's severely underweight? I would think that had to have come up in conversation, right? :wink:

Well, I haven't had her back to the vet yet........

THIS WAS THE DAY BEFORE I GOT HER;

THIS IS LAST NIGHT::

“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby ArtGypsy » January 7th, 2011, 10:30 am

A COUPLE MORE FROM LAST WEEK:

i Know she doesn't look desperately emaciated.....I'm just not seeing much difference. :|

But after reading the responses, I figure I'll just be more patient (worry less) and know it may take time.

ArtGypsy

Postby plebayo » January 7th, 2011, 10:41 am

She looks to me like she's just a lean dog. She could stand to gain 1-2lbs to cover her ribs up, but she doesn't look like she's meant to be massive. Also just as an FYI because you're used to Dar, Pigeon is a GIRL. Girls are supposed to be smaller.

Off the weight topic her hair coat looks pretty slick and shiny! Are you seeing any hair regrowth at all? She looks like she knows she's in a better place, that's for sure!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby ArtGypsy » January 7th, 2011, 10:55 am

plebayo wrote:She looks to me like she's just a lean dog. She could stand to gain 1-2lbs to cover her ribs up, but she doesn't look like she's meant to be massive. Also just as an FYI because you're used to Dar, Pigeon is a GIRL. Girls are supposed to be smaller.

Off the weight topic her hair coat looks pretty slick and shiny! Are you seeing any hair regrowth at all? She looks like she knows she's in a better place, that's for sure!

you're right...I am used to Dar. All Muscle-ly and solid. (no hard angles, ha ha). I certainly don't need/want her to be massive. Just wanted to make sure she was on track to better health.
I've been looking at all her bare spots , but really can't tell if she's growing any back yet. But over all, when I glance over at her, I definitely don't see the same pitiful, sick dog I saw 2 weeks ago.! :D
I'd like to take a minute and thank the folks who have offered great support and advice...those that have sent treats and gifts. It has helped tremendously. :confused: :groupHug: :groupHug:
ArtGypsy

Postby TheRedQueen » January 7th, 2011, 11:22 am

She doesn't look awful to me...just a few more pounds...again, you don't want fast fat...you want good solid muscle and good fat. She looks fine, keep going slow. :)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ArtGypsy » January 7th, 2011, 11:25 am

TheRedQueen wrote:She doesn't look awful to me...just a few more pounds...again, you don't want fast fat...you want good solid muscle and good fat. She looks fine, keep going slow. :)

Thanks Erin.... :dance:
ArtGypsy

Postby BigDogBuford » January 7th, 2011, 12:07 pm

She looks a little lean and flabby at the same time. That's how Kisses was. Once she put on some muscle she'll look great!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Jenn » January 7th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Agreed, and she definitely looks happier! :)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 7th, 2011, 5:19 pm

I agree with the others! A couple more pounds, over time, and some muscle tone, over time, will make all the difference I think. She looks so much happier. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » January 7th, 2011, 6:26 pm

I agree, poor condition all around, but not particularly thin. She'll get better, but it may take a couple month to see the hair come back ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health