No Obvious Weight Gain for Pigeon?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ArtGypsy » January 6th, 2011, 1:46 pm

I was wondering how long should it take to have 'visible' evidence of weight gain?

(I don't have a scale at home).

Over all I can see that her skin condition has improved dramatically, but :|

Dar gets two cups a day of food and looks great.

Currently, I'm giving Pigeon 3 cups of TOTW Pacific Stream. *just checked the back (duh) and it says up to 3 1/4 cups a day for her age/weight)

Have never had a seriously underweight dog before.....

With having her on a grain free , fish Diet, I can't do satin balls....

any ideas guys?
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby LMM » January 6th, 2011, 2:10 pm

I would just up her amount by feeding her in more frequent smaller meals. So instead of feeding her 3 cups per day, you can feed her 4 cups but 4-5 times per day instead of 2 or 3.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby BigDogBuford » January 6th, 2011, 2:39 pm

It takes some time.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » January 6th, 2011, 2:57 pm

she might just be a leaner dog, too...
I had a few people (non vet people) tell me Oscar was too skinny when he was younger, and he was free fed! Just the way he was.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Malli » January 6th, 2011, 2:58 pm

how skinny is she?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » January 6th, 2011, 3:28 pm

:shock:

Faust only gets 2 1/2 cups a day, which is way under the recommended amount on the bag. He's about 75+ pounds, and while he isn't fat by any means he could probably stand to even lose a few pounds without it affecting him adversely health-wise.
Faust often acts like he's starving... but he's not. As evidenced by the green beans he manages to pick out and leave in a neat circle around his food dish lately... :rolleyes2: :nono:

What did the vet say about her weight?
In the pics you posted she did not look too terribly skinny to me.
How long has she been on TOTW? A week or so?

I would not do anything drastic to "fatten her up"... give her system some time to adjust to all the changes, and let the meds do their job on her skin/ear infection. Unless she's losing weight I would not be too concerned... dogs are supposed to have a waist. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » January 6th, 2011, 3:36 pm

Can you post a good pic of her, standing up, showing her from the side? :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LMM » January 6th, 2011, 3:38 pm

Yea, good idea. I don't remember what her pics look like other than I remember her being super cute! I'll have to go back and look now.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Malli » January 6th, 2011, 3:50 pm

yea, pic of her standing over top of her looking straight down, and from the side of her standing...
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » January 6th, 2011, 4:08 pm

I'm with Christine...I don't remember her looking terribly underweight either. It will take some time to gain...because you want muscle, not just fat.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby hugapitbull » January 6th, 2011, 6:51 pm

I use a tape measure to keep track of Trouble. Measure the waist close to the hips. You can tell quickly whether or not you need to adjust. I keep Trouble about 23" which is about 56 pounds for her.

Once when I had her at the vet I had them get an accurate weight and then I went home and measured, so I would know how inches corresponded to the weight Dr F desired.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby ArtGypsy » January 6th, 2011, 7:44 pm

THANKS Guys........
I haven't been home since I posted the query, so I'll get a good picture of her tomorrow....

I THINK she's too thin. :( I can still see her ribs clearly and she looks pitiful to me.

(And I do understand that dogs aren't supposed to be as 'plump' as the average owner believes they should be; but REALLY. She's Thin).

And I wondered about her body/metabolism just needing time to recover; it's still fighting the infection and inflammation.
:|

I've had her on TOTW for....TWO weeks come Monday...! (don't have a calendar here with me)
So Yeah...(nodsnodsnodsnods) she probably just needs time, and she will probably be on the lean side.
:dance:
ArtGypsy

Postby amazincc » January 6th, 2011, 7:59 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:And I wondered about her body/metabolism just needing time to recover; it's still fighting the infection and inflammation.
:|

I've had her on TOTW for....TWO weeks come Monday...! (don't have a calendar here with me)
So Yeah...(nodsnodsnodsnods) she probably just needs time, and she will probably be on the lean side.
:dance:

Yeah, you really can't expect to undo in two weeks what has been her "way of life" all this time... you know?
She's in a good place now, but think "baby steps" for her recovery. :wink: :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » January 6th, 2011, 8:05 pm

Don't just judge by ribs either...I like to see some ribs on my guys (well, on the hairless ones that is...lol). I go by backbone and hip bones more than seeing riblets.

A nice easy way to figure out weight: hold your hand out, palm down. Feel the knuckles on your hand (the last ones, where your fingers join to your hands) with your other fingers. Then make a fist with the outstretched hand...feel those knuckles again. Then open the hand and flip it palm side up and feel the knuckles again. The first one should be what the dog's backbone *should* feel like. The second one...the dog is too skinny (you can feel individual knobs of the backbone). The third one...the dog is too fat...too much flesh over the backbone.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 6th, 2011, 8:14 pm

I think even that varies by dog. Inara's is pretty prominent, especially when she's curled up, but she's not underweight.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » January 6th, 2011, 9:08 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I think even that varies by dog. Inara's is pretty prominent, especially when she's curled up, but she's not underweight.

Yeah, but I find it a good one, other than just using ribs as a judge. And if you feel the knuckles the proper way, you *should* feel some backbone. Score's is readily visable too when he curls up. But...really the best, imho is hip bones...you really shouldn't see hipbones unless you're a saluki or an anorexic model or something.

TheRedQueen

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 6th, 2011, 9:10 pm

I absolutely agree with the hipbones. I've never seen them on a healthy dog. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » January 6th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Connor has backbone sticking up even when he's fat.

When we took him in he weighed 34 pounds, it took us four weeks to put ten pounds on him. Go s-l-o-w
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » January 6th, 2011, 10:48 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I absolutely agree with the hipbones. I've never seen them on a healthy dog. :)

I think I can see hip bones....
DEF. feels NOBBY along her backbone.... :(
ArtGypsy

Postby amazincc » January 6th, 2011, 11:00 pm

Post some pics!

Does the vet think she's severely underweight? I would think that had to have come up in conversation, right? :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health