Truman needs healing thoughts!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Jenn » January 3rd, 2011, 10:43 am

hugapitbull wrote:
iluvk9 wrote:Oh sure! I will fly everyone from PBT here! Wait till I make you all breakfast.

I can help with breakfast! :giggle:

:wave2: I can cook too, and need a vacation!! Even a working one still works for me! ;)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » January 3rd, 2011, 5:03 pm

mnp13 wrote:How's the pony doing today?

He is limping the same amount, which is better than it getting worse. I am still leash walking and not letting him rough-house with the others.

DIL's mom lent me her ramp. I am going to practice with him. No slope to full slope. I don't know if that will be the answer. My biggest concern is getting him OUT of the SUV. I am not sure if I should have him in the back seat or the back of the SUV. It will depend on how he manuvers himself out of the Vet's office.

DIL is going to go with me to pick him up. While she is 100 pounds soaking wet, she DID help me lift the couch out the front door and over the railing. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » January 3rd, 2011, 7:52 pm

Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » January 3rd, 2011, 7:53 pm

http://www.discountramps.com/bottoms_up_dog_leash.htm

This leash will help with after surgery!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby plebayo » January 3rd, 2011, 8:03 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
mnp13 wrote:How's the pony doing today?

He is limping the same amount, which is better than it getting worse. I am still leash walking and not letting him rough-house with the others.

DIL's mom lent me her ramp. I am going to practice with him. No slope to full slope. I don't know if that will be the answer. My biggest concern is getting him OUT of the SUV. I am not sure if I should have him in the back seat or the back of the SUV. It will depend on how he manuvers himself out of the Vet's office.

DIL is going to go with me to pick him up. While she is 100 pounds soaking wet, she DID help me lift the couch out the front door and over the railing. 8)

You should probably have him in the back vs the backseat. It would be easier if you end up having to lift him out instead of dealing with the seats. If he's in the back someone can take the front end, and someone can take the back end, or there can be three of you and someone can do front, middle, and back. Maybe you'll have to rent a horse trailer :neener:

He should be able to walk after the surgery, if he can't, I would request he stay there until he's up and moving. Even with the traditional surgery our dogs don't leave until they are up and moving. Usually all of our knee dogs are up as soon as the morphine starts wearing off. Especially due to his size I wouldn't want him home until he's good and ready. I know you've been through this before, but he's a big boy and I would hope they wouldn't send him home to the stable without being able to walk :wink:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » January 3rd, 2011, 8:48 pm

Michelle, that lifting thing doesn't seem to be what I would need to lift him from a laying down position in the SUV and out. There wouldn't be any room for me to stand over him and lift upward.

Suzanne, with the others, my Vet has sent them home once they are stabilized from waking up from the anesthesia (or whatever) and able to "hobble" on three legs.

I am just trying to visualize HOW I get him from a laying position in the back of the SUV to a position of standing...then out. Even IF I can get him to use the ramp, this is going to be a bitch. :confused:

Someone suggested a large blanket under him and "we" (right now it's just DIL and I) lifting him out while laying down. IF he stays in that position, which I doubt. :|

I guess it is all going to come down to the moment when I see him and how they get him into the SUV. Then I will have to decide how to get him out.

Oiy. :sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby HappyPuppy » January 3rd, 2011, 8:51 pm

Just thinking..... what if you/they can put him in a crate at the vet's office and then all you have to do is carry the crate??? You could even put the crate on a trolley or dollie to scoot it around or two people could probably carry a pony in a crate pretty easily, couldn't they?
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 3rd, 2011, 8:54 pm

That sounds good, except at 140 pounds I don't think I have enough people to help me. Thanks for the idea, though.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » January 3rd, 2011, 9:04 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Michelle, that lifting thing doesn't seem to be what I would need to lift him from a laying down position in the SUV and out. There wouldn't be any room for me to stand over him and lift upward.

Connor was walking... well, staggering in a drunken manner... right from the beginning. He'll probably be able to get up, and then that strap thing will help you stabilize him to go down the ramp.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » January 3rd, 2011, 9:14 pm

Can you push/slide his crate down the ramp once you get home? With him still in it?

Renting a small horse trailer sounds better and better. :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby plebayo » January 3rd, 2011, 10:00 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Suzanne, with the others, my Vet has sent them home once they are stabilized from waking up from the anesthesia (or whatever) and able to "hobble" on three legs.

You definitely have to do what you have to do but if you really think getting him out of the vehicle is going to hard for both of you, you really might request having him stay at least one night so that he can recover from the anesthesia fully and be up and walking. We usually keep our knee dogs at least 2 nights, the 1st night they are on a CRI [constant rate infusion] of Morphine, day 2 we wean them off of Morphine and put them on regular fluids, get them up and moving. By day three if they are eating and getting around okay they go home.

I guess I'm confused, you say they let your other dogs come home when they are hobbling, shouldn't he be able to stand up in the back of your vehicle so you can lift him out or unload him on the ramp?

I like the kennel idea, you could also try a stretcher or use a large blanket like a stretcher.

I hope everything goes smoothly, for both of you. We need videos of ramp practice! :neener:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » January 4th, 2011, 4:37 am

I think he will be too heavy to be comfortable with the blanket/stretcher, I KNOW what 140 lbs of dog feels like ;) You'll have an easier time if you can each lift an end and set him down(then the blanket anyway!), or have him on the ramp.

Joyce, I know the pony can get a bit cantankerous with vetty stuff, he may need an anti-cantankerous aid ;) particularly if you have to lift him...
I've seen many dogs have a tough time maintaining a good outlook after this surgery...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » January 4th, 2011, 8:07 am

Christine, the crate actually won't fit in the RAV4. I just measured. No room for me to get in and out with it.

Suzanne, Louie was a regular sized Lab so he was easy to get UP. Darlene, I just carried the little piglet.
In the photo, you can see how big he is in the RAV. I could ask to have him stay at Vet's overnight, but they don't really have a perfect size kennel area for him there, either. Plus, it is one-Vet place and no one will BE there overnight, I don't think. That makes me very uncomfortable.

Mallika, I agree the blanket wouldn't work either, because he is going to be squirming around.

I am not trying to be difficult, and I thank you all for your ideas and comments. This is just the most stressful part for me: SUV to ground, once home. :sad2: I am visualizing every thing suggested so I don't cause him pain or damage.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amazincc » January 4th, 2011, 8:22 am

iluvk9 wrote:Christine, the crate actually won't fit in the RAV4. I just measured. No room for me to get in and out with it.

Crap... I see your dilemma. You definitely don't want him jumping out.... and it looks like, even if he does manage to stand up, he'll still have to "hunch over" a little bit to fit into that position. :doh:
You need some kind of a pulley system to lower him down. :neutral:

Does the vet/surgeon have any suggestions at all? They DO know they're operating on a Pony... right???
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 4th, 2011, 8:53 am

Joyce, do you know anybody with a smaller car, maybe a hatchback, that you could borrow just to get Truman home? I know he'd be cramped, but being cramped is probably safer than trying to maneuver out of an SUV.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » January 4th, 2011, 8:58 am

Aaaah... you NEED a portable stage lift!!!! I wonder if there's a place near you where you can rent one for a day. :?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » January 4th, 2011, 10:02 am

I can drive up and we can use John's wheelchair lift. :)

Seriously...do you know anyone with a wheelchair lift? That's how I lift the Big Bald Bulldog into the van when he comes to stay...he's around 90# and can't jump at all.

You could probably rent an accessible van for the day...they have wheelchair lifts, and also ramps that unfold from the back to roll wheelchairs in and out of minivans.

http://www.sparrowhawk.ca/low_floor_min ... d=minivans
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TheRedQueen » January 4th, 2011, 10:07 am

Wheelers of Long Island, NY: Accessible Van rentals
800 456 1371x227
info@wheelersvanrentals.com

Bussani Mobility of Bethpage, NY
Wheelchair van rentals & sales
Toll Free: 1-877-468-9488
Phone:1-516-389-1793
500 Central Ave.
Bethpage, NY 11714
www.bussanimobility.com
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » January 4th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Yes, they know he is a pony. 8) I actually never asked THEM how I should get him out. I will call today for how they suggest I do it. :) You all have me thinking! Thanks. :dance:

My son has a Toyota Corolla so I will practice with his back seat. It might low enough, although not a hatchback. :|

I don't know anyone with a wheelchair-vehicle. That, along with a horse trailer, really would do the trick. (Not kidding about the trailer...) Just thought of something....maybe Home Depots rental trucks have ramps? It would be cheaper and closer than the wheelchair vehicle place. My DIL could sit in the back with him?

Someone suggested if I can back the SUV to a spot that is already slanted....my driveway is a slight slant, so I will try that today, also.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » January 4th, 2011, 4:33 pm

OK...CALM DOWN JOYCIE!!! :neener:

Talked to Vet and he does not see a problem using the back of the RAV for transport.
Things he said that give me confidence it will be fine:

1. Truman will be stepping down on two good front legs with one good strong back one.

2. He came out of the xray anesthesia just fine and was raring to go, so he won't be "dopey" when I bring him home. We will wait till he is able to hobble a little before loading him in/out.

3. He has sent lots of big dogs home with leg surgeries and not ONE of their owners "ruined the leg" when getting them out of the vehicle. :dance:

3. If SUV is backed into driveway, I have a slant at the bottom. I just measured it. It will be 16 inches he needs to step down. His front legs are 18 inches. Without the slant, the SUV clearance is 26", so the slant idea works. (Thank you, person who pm'd me that idea.) :)

WHEW. I can take a breath now.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health