Obama Supports Vick

Postby fenella » December 27th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Ok, I'm no fan of Obama, either. This just seals it for me. I know some here may be, but I thought I'd pass this along anyway.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20026644-503544.html

The most :puke: worthy tidbit:
Peter King of Sports Illustrated and NBC Sports reported Monday that Mr. Obama recently called Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie to praise the team for giving Vick a chance.

Lurie said Mr. Obama told him that "So many people who serve time never get a fair second chance," King reported on SI.com.

Lurie said Mr. Obama was "passionate about it," adding that the president said "it's never a level playing field for prisoners when they get out of jail. And he was happy that we did something on such a national stage that showed our faith in giving someone a second chance after such a major downfall.''

:rolleyes2:
User avatar
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 286
Location: Maryland

Postby fenella » December 27th, 2010, 10:00 pm

It does say that he doesn't support the act of dog fighting or condone Vick's crimes. Still, can't he throw his support behind someone who deserves it?
User avatar
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 286
Location: Maryland

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 27th, 2010, 10:21 pm

This just makes me even more glad I didn't vote for him. Why'd he wait until now to praise Lurie? Because Vick is in the running for MVP???
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
User avatar
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing
 
Posts: 15437
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby fenella » December 27th, 2010, 10:30 pm

the article says that he called about using alternative power at the stadium, and for some reason felt the need to praise them for picking up Vick
User avatar
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 286
Location: Maryland

Postby plebayo » December 27th, 2010, 11:26 pm

I totally just read about this on yahoo.

This world just makes me sick as time goes on... I can't believe the things we find acceptable in this day and age.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
User avatar
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare
 
Posts: 941
Location: Oregon

Postby furever_pit » December 31st, 2010, 12:07 am

I don't understand AT ALL why the President is spending his time commenting on this. There are faaaaarrrr bigger issues at hand that deserve his attention.

Though, at the same time, other Presidents have done worse things.
User avatar
furever_pit
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1138
Location: NC

Postby DemoDick » December 31st, 2010, 5:06 pm

furever_pit wrote:I don't understand AT ALL why the President is spending his time commenting on this. There are faaaaarrrr bigger issues at hand that deserve his attention.

Though, at the same time, other Presidents have done worse things.


I think deep down you probably do.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
User avatar
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun
 
Posts: 1910
Location: New York

Postby furever_pit » December 31st, 2010, 8:18 pm

Nope, I don't.

Why do you think he took the time to comment on this?
User avatar
furever_pit
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1138
Location: NC

Postby DemoDick » January 1st, 2011, 6:25 pm

furever_pit wrote:Nope, I don't.

Why do you think he took the time to comment on this?


Because Vick is (1)a black quarterback and (2)arguably the highest profile athlete in the NFL. I have a real hard time believing that Brett Favre would get a similar courtesy from POTUS if he was convicted of something like dog fighting.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
User avatar
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun
 
Posts: 1910
Location: New York

Postby furever_pit » January 1st, 2011, 8:05 pm

So you think it is predominantly a racial reaction?

I guess I like to think that in this day and age people are beyond that. But I could totally be wrong. My BF is constantly reminding me that I am "naive" when it comes to the motives of other people.
User avatar
furever_pit
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1138
Location: NC

Postby mnp13 » January 1st, 2011, 8:15 pm

furever_pit wrote:So you think it is predominantly a racial reaction?

Let's put it this way, Google the "major celebrity/big name supporters" of Vick you'll see that most (not all, but most) have something in common. Sadly, very sadly, it's skin color.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17232
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 1st, 2011, 8:22 pm

DemoDick wrote:Because Vick is (1)a black quarterback and (2)arguably the highest profile athlete in the NFL. I have a real hard time believing that Brett Favre would get a similar courtesy from POTUS if he was convicted of something like dog fighting.


x2
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
User avatar
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing
 
Posts: 15437
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby furever_pit » January 1st, 2011, 8:45 pm

Geez. That's just so messed up to me. I thought the whole point was to move past skin color.
Hopefully, one day, this country will be able to say that has actually happened.

But, damn it! I want more than that from my President.
User avatar
furever_pit
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1138
Location: NC

Postby DemoDick » January 1st, 2011, 9:27 pm

furever_pit wrote:Geez. That's just so messed up to me. I thought the whole point was to move past skin color.
Hopefully, one day, this country will be able to say that has actually happened.

But, damn it! I want more than that from my President.


Then vote for Ron Paul.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
User avatar
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun
 
Posts: 1910
Location: New York

Postby TinaMartin » January 3rd, 2011, 1:04 pm

furever_pit wrote:So you think it is predominantly a racial reaction?

I guess I like to think that in this day and age people are beyond that. But I could totally be wrong. My BF is constantly reminding me that I am "naive" when it comes to the motives of other people.

Racial reactions happen all the time. My boyfriend is black. You should see some of the reactions we get. On both sides of the fence.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
User avatar
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer
 
Posts: 1240
Location: Rochester NY

Postby amazincc » January 3rd, 2011, 2:51 pm

"The president did place a call to Mr. Lurie to discuss plans for the use of alternative energy at Lincoln Financial Field, during which they spoke about that and other issues."

I take it that THIS was the *real* reason for the phone call in the first place?

Peter King of Sports Illustrated and NBC Sports reported Monday that Mr. Obama recently called Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie to praise the team for giving Vick a chance.

I also take it that Peter King is NOT an Obama fan?

Yup... black President praises white team owner for picking up a black ex-convict... why is that surprising?
I'm pretty sure, in the grand scheme of the actual conversation, the Vick part was hardly a blip on the radar.

Anything concerning Vick is still HUGE news, no matter where you stand on the issue.
To install wind turbines and solar panels at Lincoln Financial Field in a bid to "run the first self-sufficient alternative-energy sports stadium in the country" ... not so interesting/read-worthy to most of us.
A smart reporter knows that. :|

I happen to think that President Obama is a decent human being. He's also not a dummy, and "ignoring the elephant in the room" doesn't make sense... especially when it comes to politics.
Do I believe that the actual and REAL purpose of the phone call was to support Vick??? Good God, no.
I do think the Vick issue came up in conversation... and was blown out of proportion by the media.
I'm not surprised by that. :bs:
User avatar
amazincc
Jessica & Mick
 
Posts: 9814
Location: Holding them both in my heart.

Postby TheRedQueen » January 3rd, 2011, 6:59 pm

amazincc wrote:
"The president did place a call to Mr. Lurie to discuss plans for the use of alternative energy at Lincoln Financial Field, during which they spoke about that and other issues."

I take it that THIS was the *real* reason for the phone call in the first place?

Peter King of Sports Illustrated and NBC Sports reported Monday that Mr. Obama recently called Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie to praise the team for giving Vick a chance.

I also take it that Peter King is NOT an Obama fan?

Yup... black President praises white team owner for picking up a black ex-convict... why is that surprising?
I'm pretty sure, in the grand scheme of the actual conversation, the Vick part was hardly a blip on the radar.

Anything concerning Vick is still HUGE news, no matter where you stand on the issue.
To install wind turbines and solar panels at Lincoln Financial Field in a bid to "run the first self-sufficient alternative-energy sports stadium in the country" ... not so interesting/read-worthy to most of us.
A smart reporter knows that. :|

I happen to think that President Obama is a decent human being. He's also not a dummy, and "ignoring the elephant in the room" doesn't make sense... especially when it comes to politics.
Do I believe that the actual and REAL purpose of the phone call was to support Vick??? Good God, no.
I do think the Vick issue came up in conversation... and was blown out of proportion by the media.
I'm not surprised by that. :bs:


:clap:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
User avatar
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.
 
Posts: 7184
Location: Maryland

Postby mnp13 » January 3rd, 2011, 7:58 pm

I'm sorry, but in my mind just "happening" to mention the dog fighter that they are paying a few million a year to play football isn't a "happy accident."

And if it really was a private conversation between the owner and the president, how did it end up in the media anyway? Because the owner told the media... obviously proud that the president gave him an "atta boy."

Sorry, but in my mind, that's not just a random thing to mention.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17232
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby amazincc » January 3rd, 2011, 8:41 pm

C'mon... seriously???
The owner can recall the conversation any which way he wants, and his perception of what took place is just that... his own personal take. :|

It would be political suicide for President Obama to purposely anger millions of dog lovers - not to mention potential supporters/voters in the next election - by "supporting the dog fighter Vick", as it has been portrayed/spun by Mr. Lurie and Peter King.

Our President may be many things... but stupid isn't one of them.
Of course, I wasn't there to listen in, but I bet you $100 that this particular part of the conversation was taken out of context... and then some.

Let's face it - Vick and all the controversy surrounding him sells papers much, much faster than a piece about wind turbines and solar panels at Lincoln Financial Field.
And maybe a presidential "atta boy", even if unintended AND blown out of proportion afterwards, lets Mr. Lurie sleep better at night since he signed this asshat in the first place.
If I was in his shoes I would most definitely make a ginormous deal out of any presidential nod in my general direction.
Hell, if the President spit on me I'd turn it to my advantage somehow.

"President Obama used his very own bodily fluids to extinguish the cigarrette I had in my hand, in an effort to help me quit smoking", Laurie proudly exclaims.
:neener: :wave2:
User avatar
amazincc
Jessica & Mick
 
Posts: 9814
Location: Holding them both in my heart.

Postby madremissy » January 3rd, 2011, 8:58 pm

It would be political suicide for President Obama to purposely anger millions of dog lovers - not to mention potential supporters/voters in the next election - by "supporting the dog fighter Vick", as it has been portrayed/spun by Mr. Lurie and Peter King.


I really don't think that President Obama realizes how many dog lover's there are in the world. I really don't think that he realized the back lash or whatever you want to call it, would be so much.
I do think someone was thinking that there would be some kind of political gain in the story about Vick because there was a reason it was release for the public to know about. Not much is ever done with a "feel good" story that politicians aren't looking to make themselves look good. I think it backfired on someone though. Just my 2cents.
User avatar
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.
 
Posts: 3786
Location: meansville, ga

Next

Return to Michael Vick

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users