Ugh... we can't win

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Malli » December 23rd, 2010, 12:05 pm

what were you asking about taking out? It might be early, I can't figure it out...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » December 23rd, 2010, 12:08 pm

Malli wrote:what were you asking about taking out? It might be early, I can't figure it out...

Yeah, I was wondering about that too.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby plebayo » December 23rd, 2010, 10:53 pm

His kidneys look ok, one liver enzyme is elivated (the vet thinks that's related to the thyroid) I asked about taking it out, since it looks like we'll be putting him under for his teeth anyway, but she didn't recommend that.

I'm assuming you mean the thyroid?

Whether you remove it or do radioactive iodine they have about the same success rate. Also with radioactive iodine you run the risk of killing off both Thyroids and then end up with a cat who has low thyroid.

Health benefit wise I think removing it would be better in the long run. I know the medication used to treat it can cause health issues as well, but we have a lot of clients who just treat with medication and their cats seem to be fine. :|
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby mnp13 » December 23rd, 2010, 11:37 pm

taking his thyroid out... you can't take a liver out! lol ;)

But she recommended leaving it in, and just treating with medication at this point.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » December 23rd, 2010, 11:56 pm

That's what I figured I've just never heard of removing the whole thing. I've seen a LOT of cats do great on the meds. Tapazole or something like that? I'm not sure what they're using these days but most cats to really well.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » December 24th, 2010, 12:04 am

I missed the connection to the thyroid completely, read right over it :doh:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » December 24th, 2010, 2:15 am

Tapazole is pretty cheap. My 16 year old man is hyperthyroid, ever so slightly. I had to give 1/8 of a pill twice daily (everyone who's seen the size of a Tapazole is rolling on the floor at the tought of giving 1/8, it's like a grain of sand). The transdermal medication is, from what I know, not as reliable for dosage, since it's absorbed by the skin on the ear, it's sort of random.

I get my cat's meds compounded in a liquid, I pick the concentration so I just give 0,25 ml twice daily, and it's chicken or tuna flavored. So less pilling (not that my cat is hard to pill, he gets pepcid every night anyway) and good absorbtion. I like it, I need a bottle like every 4 months and it's ony a few dollars more than a bottle of tapazole.

I've never heard of cats getting their thyroids remved surgically?

Your vet might also want to do a kidney panel after he starts the meds. Since hyperthyroidism makes the metabolism "go faster", it also can make kidneys that are starting to fail work "harder" and make renal values appear completely normal on pre-meds blood test. Happened to my cat.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby mnp13 » December 24th, 2010, 9:15 am

Yes, she brought up the kidney problems as well. She said we'll be doing blood work on him every six months for the rest of his life.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » December 24th, 2010, 10:58 am

:itsOK:
:itsOK:
I'm so sorry you guys are getting hit with all this STUFF. :(
:itsOK: :groupHug:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby BullyLady » December 24th, 2010, 10:27 pm

Transdermal is a little spendy because you also have to buy gloves, otherwise you'd be dosing yourself as well. But it's definitely easier than pilling a cat! Also, they don't remove thyroids, but I believe you can have it irradiated.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby mnp13 » December 25th, 2010, 2:48 pm

BullyLady wrote:Also, they don't remove thyroids, but I believe you can have it irradiated.

my vet told me that's an option, though at his age they don't recommend it. :|
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby plebayo » December 25th, 2010, 7:52 pm

BullyLady wrote:Transdermal is a little spendy because you also have to buy gloves, otherwise you'd be dosing yourself as well. But it's definitely easier than pilling a cat! Also, they don't remove thyroids, but I believe you can have it irradiated.

Yes, they do remove thyroids.

http://www.felipedia.org/~felipedi/wiki ... roidectomy

Usually when cats become hyperthyroid the thyroid becomes swollen/has a tumor on it, something along those lines that you can actually feel on the cat's neck.

You can also do radioactive iodine:

http://www.avmi.net/newfiles/hyperthyro ... idism.html

mnp13 wrote:my vet told me that's an option, though at his age they don't recommend it. :|

That's a good point about his age. I think the oldest cat we took one out of was like 10yrs of age. I think medicating is better than risking anesthesia, especially if the vet doesn't do them a lot. Methimazole does come with the risk of causing kidney failure, or making kidney failure apparent/worse but he is 14, even if he wasn't on medication/hyperthyroid he could get it. I think it's worth the risk vs. him having issues with surgery.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby mnp13 » December 25th, 2010, 10:19 pm

Well, he's likely having surgery regardless because his teeth are a wreck. I have to admit that I don't look at my cat's teeth and had no idea that they were in such bad shape. That's why he's on the antibiotics, not because of the claw. She said we will likely have to have a few pulled.

She doesn't want to take it out because there are other complications that may come up that will cascade to other problems. She said if he was 7 or 8 she'd recommend removing it, if only because you're looking at 10 years of daily medication. But with a fourteen year old, it's not logical to do it.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby plebayo » December 26th, 2010, 12:20 am

Well, he's likely having surgery regardless because his teeth are a wreck. I have to admit that I don't look at my cat's teeth and had no idea that they were in such bad shape. That's why he's on the antibiotics, not because of the claw. She said we will likely have to have a few pulled.

Yeah... I was just meaning the added stress of time under anesthesia. If he needs teeth pulled, not just a cleaning it adds time under anesthesia, and the thyroidectomy takes I think 30-40mins on top of your prophy time. Just definitely watch for increased drinking/urination loss of appetite because it can be signs of kidney failure, often time kidney failure and hyperthyroidism go hand in hand [which is why they say the medication either causes the problem, or it's already been an issue that just surfaces.]

How's his lil foot doing? If you guys get his teeth cleaned I hope it goes smoothly and doesn't cost and arm and a leg, you guys need a break from all of this vet business!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby BullyLady » December 26th, 2010, 2:51 am

plebayo wrote:
BullyLady wrote:Transdermal is a little spendy because you also have to buy gloves, otherwise you'd be dosing yourself as well. But it's definitely easier than pilling a cat! Also, they don't remove thyroids, but I believe you can have it irradiated.

Yes, they do remove thyroids.

http://www.felipedia.org/~felipedi/wiki ... roidectomy

Interesting!! We never ever referred anyone for thyroid removals, only radiation (radioactive iodine), I had no idea! I can see how that would be ideal, though then they wouldn't they still have to be medicated for the rest of their lives?
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Jenn » December 26th, 2010, 11:33 pm

:hug3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » December 26th, 2010, 11:50 pm

He's sleeping next to me on the couch right now. His paw looks great, and we don't have to actually pill him - he will eat the pills crushed up on wet food. Woo Hoo!

The transdermal is on the way, and thanks for the tip on the gloves, the last thing I need is for my thyroid to slow down! lol Maybe I can sign up for hyperthyroid for a few months? I could use a metabolism!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » January 1st, 2011, 2:36 pm

Update: his claw looks normal now, and the pad is almost completely healed. Thanks for all the good wishes!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » January 1st, 2011, 2:40 pm

excellent!
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » January 2nd, 2011, 3:13 pm

Yay!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health