Opinions: Small dogs and your pit bull

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby TheRedQueen » December 31st, 2010, 7:10 pm

Okay...for those that have bully breeds, pit bulls, etc.

Do you find it offensive for someone walking by on the street to scoop up their small dog into their arms if they're approaching you and your dog? All the dogs are on leash...and you're on a sidewalk that is big enough to move around each other easily.

Would you be offended/upset/annoyed at the apparent lack of trust from the other person...would you think..."they don't think I can control my dog?" or "Do they think all pit bulls are dangerous" Or would you think..."smart owner to keep their small dog out of potential trouble"

:|

I was out walking The Wiener and his little beagle buddy yesterday, on a small town Main street. We hardly ever see people, and never have seen dogs. Yesterday, we were walking, on 16' flexis so they can wander and sniff. I saw two women talking up ahead of me, and a large white pit bull type dog (looked like a small American bulldog). I reeled the little ones in, so they were locked into their leashes...they had enough to walk on four feet, but not enough to move out away from me. I saw the bully dog watching us approach, and it wagged its tail, but I couldn't see more from the distance. I started to move around the women (who took up 2/3 of the sidewalk)...and the white dog suddenly lunged forward on its prong collar and barked/growled. The woman was all surprised, and said..."what is that noise?" to the dog, and made it sit. The little ones kept going, with me...and didn't have any trouble.

Now, I would hate if everyone suddenly scooped up their little dogs (The Wiener is only 11#, so he could have been scooped up...the beagle is about 18#...harder to pick up)...so I don't usually pick The Wiener up in situations like this. He doesn't like to be held, and I've avoided doing this so he doesn't act like an asshole around dogs. But as I'm passing by...I thought, if that dog broke its collar or pulled the leash out of her hand, he could have killed The Wiener in a heartbeat. Maybe I need to think of him a bit more when I'm not sure...rather than the other owner. :|

thoughts... :confused:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 31st, 2010, 7:34 pm

I always cross the street because I don't want to be that close to other people and their dogs. But if I didn't, I think some of it would have to do with the attitude of the people. If they scooped up their dog and had this terrified look then I'd probably laugh a little, but if they were friendly about it and still smiled or said hello then I wouldn't be in the least offended.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » December 31st, 2010, 7:40 pm

It wouldn't offend me.

Too often I think people think when a person is moving to the other side walk or picking their dog up that that person is thinking "OMG it's a pit bull!" When really the person could be thinking "OMG that's a large dog!" or "OMG that's a big black dog and I got bit by a black dog as a child and I'm scarred for life!"

I do think you need to consider your dog, he could be wiped out pretty easily by a larger dog. It's like driving, always assume another person walking their dog is a total idiot, because they might be.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby TheRedQueen » December 31st, 2010, 8:09 pm

Thanks ladies!

It's hard for me to remember sometimes that The Wiener is soooo small...I've never had a small dog in my life. lol And because he's larger-than-life most of the time, and handles himself so well with big dogs, I forget that he could be creamed really easily.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby FAB dogs » December 31st, 2010, 8:19 pm

I'd rather have them pick the dog up vs the people who let their small dog run right up to my dogs and tell me "He likes other dogs" or "He won't hurt you/them" without considering what my dog could do to him.

And it really isn't a breed specific situation. I've had people pick up dogs, grab kids, and cross to the other side of the street when they see my huskies (you know those dangerous "wolf" dogs).

I like to think if someone picks up their dog that maybe they know their dog isn't good with other dogs and that's why they're doing it. I know having the psycho terrier over the more laid back husky boys as changed how I approach others when we're out.

Although another thing to keep in mind, although I'm sure you know this, is that if you're bending over to pick up the dog, or already holding him, and the the other dog lunges, you're more inclined to get bit on the upper torso rather than the legs if you could try blocking them with your body.
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby furever_pit » December 31st, 2010, 8:45 pm

I may have been slightly offended when I first got Dylan and people would cross the street or pick up their dogs but I got over it pretty quickly. Now, I don't really care what other people's reactions are to my dog. He's well behaved and I just let that speak for itself. I also think some people pick up their little dogs because their dog does not behave very well and maybe they aren't sure how else to deal with that situation.

I don't think you should worry about offending the other dog's owner too much.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby AllAmericanPUP » December 31st, 2010, 11:22 pm

It does not offend me. It's their dog and their own choice on how they choose to handle passing other dogs. Ive never had anyone scoop up their dog when passing me and eli but if they did then so be it.
If it's because they think all pit bulls are vicious then that's sad for them but I'm not gonna get bent out of shape over it.
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby Tubular Toby » December 31st, 2010, 11:46 pm

It wouldn't offend me. Like Suzanne said, it may not always be the fact that it's a pit bull that I am walking. Maybe they are just afraid of large dogs in general. I even think sometimes people doing that could be because their small dog may not be very good at passing other dogs. Sometimes I wish there were times I could have picked Toby up to avoid a scene! :lol:

Like Liz said, a lot of it has to do with the people's attitude when they do it.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » December 31st, 2010, 11:47 pm

When people do the "wide eyed in terror" grab for their dog, yes I get annoyed/offended. And it's hard for me to keep my mouth shut and not make a comment as they scurry past my quietly sitting dogs.

However, when someone picks up their dog, makes eye contact with me in a pleasant manner and then keeps waking I just figure their dog might not be great with other dogs, who knows?

It all depends on their body language.

Most of the time when I see someone coming, I get out of their way - just step to the side put the dog(s) in a sit and wait for them to pass. If the person says anything at all (about half the time they do) they say something about well behaved dogs.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » January 1st, 2011, 12:27 am

It doesn't offend me at all. Generally I like to take the offensive as we are passing other dogs. Generally I call out to someone, "My dog's not good with strange dogs to we'll just sit to the side as you pass." Then my dog and I sit politely and calmly while the other people an dog pass. It serves two purposes:

1. It keeps people from letting their dogs approach us

2. We look like good canine citizens with the good obedience skills
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » January 1st, 2011, 1:22 am

It only offends me when I feel like the reaction is all over the top, or if Oscar is being gentlemanly.

If I had a little dog, I'd base it on the body language of the oncoming dog, and whether the owner seemed to have control of their dog and was paying attention (which often, they are not!)

If I had a raging lunging screaming idiot who I could barely hold back, I wouldn't at all blame someone for scooping up their little one!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » January 1st, 2011, 2:31 am

I usually just cross the street too, or if I have no choice I make Jack sit on the away side of the sidewalk, facing in the opposite direction that the dog is coming from (not sure if it's the best thing to do but he seems to get less excited since there's less eye contact?).

In that situation, since I know my dog isn't a fan of other dogs on leash, and it's pretty obvious I'm trying to keep him calm, I'd have no problem if someone picked up their small dog.

That being said, he's definitely less reactive to small dogs than larger dogs, I think. We were playing fetch with his racquetball at the park in a fenced area today, and a guy was walking his labrador mix off leash outside the fnce, Jack went to see him running and they started fence "fighting" (there's not much I can do about this, if I call him he's deaf, and if I try to catch him he runs away)- read barking and running along the fence. The guy got his dog, we got back to playing, and a couple passed by with 3 small dogs off leash. Jack lifted his head from chewing the ball, then just kept playing.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby BigDogBuford » January 1st, 2011, 2:54 am

If I get someone that's just being bitchy about my dog for no reason I'll also add something like, "Stay, Joxer. We don't want to scare the lady/gentleman. Goooood sit, Joxer!" *giant crap eating grin on my face*
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 1st, 2011, 11:42 am

It's like driving, always assume another person walking their dog is a total idiot, because they might be.
LOL so true...
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby amazincc » January 2nd, 2011, 3:38 pm

I am not offended at all.

By all means, scoop up your little yapper when we walk by... I don't want him/her charging at us, and we definitely don't want your little-dog-w/an-attitude-cooties. :rolleyes2: :mrgreen:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » January 2nd, 2011, 10:08 pm

amazincc wrote:I am not offended at all.

By all means, scoop up your little yapper when we walk by... I don't want him/her charging at us, and we definitely don't want your little-dog-w/an-attitude-cooties. :rolleyes2: :mrgreen:

:neener: :neener: :neener:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby TheRedQueen » January 2nd, 2011, 10:14 pm

:lookaround:

Who you calling a little yapper?

I'll take on all you pit bulls...one paw tied behind my back.

TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » January 3rd, 2011, 12:21 am

omg. He is SO cute.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » January 3rd, 2011, 2:57 am

I would NEVER lump in The Wiener ( :heartbeat: ) w/the lil' yappers. :shock:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Ino » January 3rd, 2011, 7:47 am

I've had plenty of people scoop up their little dogs, and it doesn't bother me- especially since for some reason- most of them hate Ino. He seems to get a reaction out of them (we've been chased up the road by several small dogs off leash here)....they for some reason see him as a threat even if he is ignoring them. I think mostly it is them being protective of their property, but that is what offends me most- people that think their small dogs are harmless. I know if Ino wanted to, he could do some damage to them, but he doesn't know that and they scare the crap out of him. He has enough fears and I get mad that small dogs are adding to them!! I also don't mind if people bring their kids in because they scare him often too. There is one boy up the road who gives Ino treats through the fence and Ino now adores him :D !! I think people are starting to realize that Ino is not a "super aggressive pit bull" because even the houses we pass that have dogs behind a fence- Ino pulls hard to try to get past them as fast as possible so I appreciate the people who have seen it and now bring their dogs in when they bark obsessively at Ino when we pass. There are some areas that we walk through where several houses in a row and on both sides of the street have multiple dogs behind chain link barking at Ino and it freaks him out (one area I would say 10-15 dogs total all barking and fence chasing -big and small- at poor Ino as we pass). We now try not to pass the houses when they are all out- we alter our route. I can assure you that many of them can jump the 4' chain link fence- they just don't know it yet.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk