brutal, what do you even do?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Malli » December 30th, 2010, 4:22 am

Not to be a downer with the holidays and all...

My friend has just (yesterday) had a motherf*cking rough go. Her dog of 5 years seriously mauled her - she had to have surgery, and is still in the hospital on IV drip with infection(and I'm sure pain meds). The dog is dead.

I want to send her something... but I'm not exactly sure what :|

I was thinking a "get well soon" type bear and maybe something to keep her busy. Anything to help her with comfort?
What do you guys think?
I think she'll probably have about 75-100 stitches :(
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » December 30th, 2010, 5:00 am

Omg, Malli... :shock: :cry:

I don't know your friend, but maybe a book would be a good idea? Does she have any hobbies or special interests?

I am so, so sorry about what has happened to her... sending lots of good thoughts and healing vibes her way. :(
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » December 30th, 2010, 6:54 am

First, be there for her. She may not be ready to talk about the incident or she may want to tell it a hundred times. Go with whatever she chooses.

She may have PTSD, which can show up later. IF she talks about the incident, let her know whatever she is feeling is "normal". She still has to grieve the loss of her dog and may be guilt ridden over why/signs she missed/anger at the dog, whatever.

How about magazines? Those mindless ones about movie stars and gossip are good to keep your mind busy for awhile.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » December 30th, 2010, 9:17 am

Oh my...:'( I'm so sorry.

I agree...books and magazines...mindless type ones that you don't have to think about much. Does she like puzzle books...sudoku or crosswords?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby PetieMarie22 » December 30th, 2010, 11:53 am

WOW! Sorry to hear about that. Good suggestions have been given of what to get her. Anything to take her mind off it!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » December 30th, 2010, 12:36 pm

oh my... what happened?

I think supporting her through the grief - missing the dog, anger at the dog, guilt for missing a dog that injured you, etc will be the biggest, but I like the suggestions of mindless entertainment. gossip magazines, etc. does she have a laptop? trashy movies are fun and most places have them for cheaper than you can buy the magazines!

Or speaking of computers, Netflix is available in gift memberships, for $8 you could get her a month of movies, TV, etc. That would keep her entertained!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » December 30th, 2010, 2:03 pm

This would be 3rd hand.

The dogs (she has 2) spend the day outside in a run - they have a small house and 2 (had 2) Great Danes. She was feeding them, put down food for the male, a chicken hopped(free range) into the stall type enclosure where the dogs were and tried to eat the food, he went after the chicken and was ripping it to shreds and when she took it from him and reprimanded him, he lost it. She is very dog and animal savvy and did not see this coming. She had to fight for her life.

Unfortunately they are on another island, so I may not talk to her for a while :(
She used to be really into horses, I was thinking a horsemanship magazine and a crossword (even if she doesn't do them, I mean, anyone can do a crossword, right?)

I'll have to go see her for lunch soon, its been too long.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » December 30th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Oh. My. God.

That gave me chills just reading it. A Great Dane could kill someone easily, I mean a 30 pound dog could kill an adult, but 100 pounds of angry Great Dane? She's truly lucky to be alive. How horrifying, and I can't imagine it will be easy for her to be around the other one just because of the association. How fortunate that the second dog didn't join in, as "pack behavior" can kick in when things like this happen.

Ugh, I hope she has a full recovery.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 30th, 2010, 7:18 pm

How tragic. :( Lots of good suggestions already, the main one being to just be there for her.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby FAB dogs » December 30th, 2010, 8:56 pm

How scary! How about some music downloads? I'm thinking that way she can just relax with whatever soothes her best.
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » December 30th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Her female is a very sweet and laid back dog. Frankly, I think it speaks to her as a dog owner that she didn't jump in as well. I have met this dog, many times. He lived with 3 boys under the age of 8, they have never noticed an issue with him.
If she'd told me that she caught him killing the chicken and did what she did, and didn't get bit, it wouldn't have surprised me; thats how she is with her dogs, she has always been able to do *almost anything* with them.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Jenn » December 31st, 2010, 12:40 am

:( I'm really sorry, that's horrible.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Tubular Toby » December 31st, 2010, 1:38 am

Wow, that's incredibly humbling (to me... not saying that in a derogatory manner...). I guess it goes to show that it doesn't matter how well we think we know what our dogs would do- they're individuals and are always capable of surprising us (sometimes for the positive though!)

I think that Netflix idea for a month was pretty awesome. After my knee surgery when I couldn't do ANYTHING, I really enjoyed just watching movies. Or reading.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » December 31st, 2010, 1:41 am

btw, appreciate the suggestions everyone :)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » December 31st, 2010, 9:21 am

Just reading this, Malli. A super speedy recovery for your friend. That is just frightening.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » December 31st, 2010, 10:04 am

Tubular Toby wrote:Wow, that's incredibly humbling (to me... not saying that in a derogatory manner...). I guess it goes to show that it doesn't matter how well we think we know what our dogs would do- they're individuals and are always capable of surprising us (sometimes for the positive though!)

Well said. This is exactly what I was feeling when I read about the attack, but couldn't put it in words.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » January 15th, 2011, 4:18 pm

I finally talked to my friend last week. The story gets perplexing.

She didn't take the chicken away from him, he dropped it when she hollered at him. She then rapped him on the nose , led him over to their bed-down area, and asked him to down (the chicken was still alive at that point and she wanted to get it out, it was just slobbered on and stunned), he refused, she tried to make him by moving his leg, and he kept resisting, then she went to push him, and he turned, growled, and bit down on her arm.

I don't think quite as many stitches as I originally thought, mostly due to them not stitching the arm wound much, too much infection.

apparently everyone's an expert, and they keep telling her what she should have done :neutral: :cuss:

She's been home about 1 week, luckily for her, her head stitches are all in her hair line, and they didn't really have to shave any hair, just a teeny, tiny bit.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Tubular Toby » January 15th, 2011, 4:53 pm

Glad to hear that she is doing alright given the situation!

ETA: Nevermind, I actually *can* read.
Last edited by Tubular Toby on January 15th, 2011, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby amazincc » January 15th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Malli wrote:apparently everyone's an expert, and they keep telling her what she should have done :neutral: :cuss:

I hate that. :rolleyes2:

I am SO glad your friend is well enough to be back home. It could've ended so much worse.

How is she doing being around her other dog now?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pocketpit » January 15th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Glad to hear she's home!
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Off-Topic