Thoughts on what could be a debatable subject?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby BullyLady » December 29th, 2010, 4:07 pm

I'm not willing to label this as "debate" but I won't be surprised if people have very passionate feelings on the subject.

How do you all feel about cat crating?

Sterling is getting a little bit out of hand at times now that he is more comfortable at home again. He gets quite violent with the other cat and at night he wanders the house just YELLING AND YELLING. It's insanely disruptive when trying to sleep. Also, he will pee on things if everyone is in bed (thus ignoring his yowling) to show his displeasure at being inside. We can put him in a room, the laundry room or the bathroom, but if he is confined he pees all over whatever room he is in. Last night, while lying awake listening to him wail, I thought "Too bad I can't crate him like I would Shelby". And then I thought.... or can I? I have Shelby's puppy crate, which would be quite large for him, and I could put a blankie in there. I suspect he won't pee in there, for the same reason a dog wouldn't pee in their crate I guess, cause then he would have to lay in it.

Is there any reason I can't "put him to bed" at night? He wouldn't be in there for more than 8 hours at a time, and he doesn't seem to ever have a problem during the day time. I think my lady cat would appreciate the break from him at night as well.

Also, I'm having a cat "tree" custom made for him and it's going to have activity pieces on it, so maybe that will help his energy. And I do play string or laser with him, trying to keep him occupied.

Thoughts?
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby amazincc » December 29th, 2010, 4:13 pm

When my cats were younger I crated them at night... they were quite content to sleep in the crate without being bothered by the dogs... lol
Make sure you place a litter box in there though. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BigDogBuford » December 29th, 2010, 4:21 pm

When my cat Elvira started peeing everywhere and we couldn't figure out why I decided to try a giant cat cage. I bought a 1ft2xft6 condo and she's been happy as a clam in there. She has to stay in there all the time and she's definitely more happy than before we put her in there. I can only guess she was getting picked on by the other cats. She grooms herself now and likes to be petted and seems to enjoy her little sanctuary.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby PetieMarie22 » December 29th, 2010, 4:29 pm

I almost crated my cat Shadow. He was peeing on clothes, in my duffel bags and finally on my bed! After the bed incident, I was furious. I was reluctant, but I had a big huge cat crate all picked out. I would have put him in there while I was at work. But luckily he never did it again after the bed incident.

I'm not opposed to it if it means being able to happily keep a cat that you otherwise would not be able to.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » December 29th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Is Sterling neutered?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BullyLady » December 29th, 2010, 5:07 pm

amazincc wrote:Is Sterling neutered?

Indeedie doo, literally the day I noticed his balls had dropped. I even got to snip the testicles myself.... lol. :oops:
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby mnp13 » December 29th, 2010, 5:30 pm

We crated Mordred for a while, as long as there is enough space for them to use the litter box and then get away from it, I don't see a problem. He didn't like it, but he got used to it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » December 29th, 2010, 5:44 pm

My cats were all crated as kittens...and Thorn prefers riding in a dog crate (with a dog) when she's in the van. Fry and Ziva have been clicker trained to go into a small carrier too without any fuss.

I have no issues with crating cats...I like crating things and often suggest it to my sister for my nephew.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » December 29th, 2010, 5:54 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:I like crating things and often suggest it to my sister for my nephew.

Somehow they always think I'm kidding when I mention crating the rug rats. :|
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » December 29th, 2010, 5:59 pm

mnp13 wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:I like crating things and often suggest it to my sister for my nephew.

Somehow they always think I'm kidding when I mention crating the rug rats. :|

My sister is usually too tempted...;)

I'll have to dig up the pics I have of Archer gnawing on Ripley's Kong one day...peanut butter included. Lauren (my sis) just sighed and then laughed.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » December 29th, 2010, 6:09 pm

Difference between a play pen and a crate: a top. :|
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BullyLady » December 29th, 2010, 6:42 pm

mnp13 wrote:Difference between a play pen and a crate: a top. :|

Lol So true!!
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby iluvk9 » December 29th, 2010, 9:12 pm

An older photo of Bo cat.

Oh, I would have choaked Bo a long time ago, if I didn't buy him a cat condo!!!!

I got it to keep him from being eaten by the dogs, then when he got a UTI, I kept him in it until it cleared up.
Now it is in a spare room with a baby gate in the doorway so the dogs don't bother him. He choses to come and go in it, but when he starts meeoooooooowing at night, I stick him in it. And I do not feel bad at all. :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » December 29th, 2010, 9:37 pm

Joyce also puts in him in when he sits and stares at her for no reason. Kinda looks like this :shock: :wink: Just kidding. I think a cat condo is an excellent idea. If Travis would not divorce me for getting another cat that is what I would do. But since 5 years ago I promised I would never get another I guess we will never have one.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby BullyLady » December 29th, 2010, 9:53 pm

madremissy wrote:Joyce also puts in him in when he sits and stares at her for no reason. Kinda looks like this :shock: :wink: Just kidding. I think a cat condo is an excellent idea. If Travis would not divorce me for getting another cat that is what I would do. But since 5 years ago I promised I would never get another I guess we will never have one.

It wouldn't be a condo, it would be a rather large dog crate.... and only for sleepy time, which admittedly is his awake time. I'm hoping that the longer he is home and adjusts to the house schedule he will become "less" noctournal.
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby FAB dogs » December 29th, 2010, 10:30 pm

I'm in favor too. My cats have been crated when they get out of control, need a housetraining reminder, or when they're sick. I just put them in a dog crate with a litter pan, food and water. Amadeus, my 15 year old cat, spent the last few days of her life in a crate. She still wanted to eat & drink, but would vomit everything back up within minutes. It was much easier to clean up (and no canine assistance) when she was in the crate.

I figure it's like crating your dog. You may not want or need to do it, but it's still a good idea to get the dog (or cat) used to it in case there comes a time when they need to be on bed rest. Much easier to keep them quiet in the crate if they're already used to it or at least familiar with it.
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby BigDogBuford » December 30th, 2010, 12:53 am

Here's Elvira's big Happy House:

~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby iluvk9 » December 30th, 2010, 7:07 am

HOLY CRAP! I WOULD LIVE IN THAT!!!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby PetieMarie22 » December 30th, 2010, 11:55 am

iluvk9 wrote:HOLY CRAP! I WOULD LIVE IN THAT!!!!

Nice! That's like a cat mansion!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » December 30th, 2010, 1:40 pm

I felt really bad putting her in there for the rest of her life so I wanted it to be nice.d She really does love it a lot. And when she passes away we'll use it to built an outside enclosure for the kitties so they can be outside but safely contained.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Next

Return to Off-Topic