A Lenny problem

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby iluvk9 » December 25th, 2010, 7:25 am

furever_pit wrote:If the dog wants to eat, he needs to come inside.

I will use food as the reason to come in. :) He is going to be one fat dog.

FAB dogs wrote:Something about coming in he's equating with pain or fear?

The only thing I can think of is that when he started using the doggie door, he was hesitant coming in: He put his head in first, then when he started to put his paws in, it was as if he couldn't judge where the floor was. Like a problem with depth perception. He would switch feet a few times until he decided which one to put down first. The floor is tiled, but I have rubber backed rugs all over, so they don't slip on the tiles.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby tiva » December 25th, 2010, 3:37 pm

I hope things go well. I notice in your video clip that he seems to be in a lot of pain (from arthritis?), which might be contributing to his reluctance. If you haven't had a vet check recently, it might be helpful.
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » December 25th, 2010, 10:32 pm

tiva wrote:I hope things go well. I notice in your video clip that he seems to be in a lot of pain (from arthritis?), which might be contributing to his reluctance. If you haven't had a vet check recently, it might be helpful.

That's what I'm wondering...if his back hurts coming through, or something. The outside might be interesting enough to get him to overcome it on the way out. It also might be that he's sore from being outside, thus it's more painful to get in the door.

I'm not one to label a dog as "STUBBORN". There's a reason for the behavior...it's just gonna take time to overcome or figure it out. I'm also agreeing with Grace...he looks stressed. He's avoiding the door, and is throwing calming signals at you (avoiding eye contact, turning his head). For some reason he's stressing about that door.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » December 25th, 2010, 11:06 pm

tiva wrote: I notice in your video clip that he seems to be in a lot of pain (from arthritis?), which might be contributing to his reluctance. If you haven't had a vet check recently, it might be helpful.

Interesting you brought that up. He always has an odd gait until he "gets going" and then runs like the wind, seemingly without a faulter. He is on Cosequin for his old joints. Also, he was crated 24/7 for 10 years of his life. It has been the last 2 years with me that he knows "freedom": no crate, a nice sized room and twin bed to spend his day on.

So, today I was prepared with all the suggestions. :) I was even given the idea to make it a game and have him follow one of the others he likes (Truman)...

Wouldn't you know, Leonard Bernstein happily trotted in and out, using the doggie door sometimes and the regular door the others. If I didn't get the video, I would have thought I was lying! :doh: At least I have an arsenal of ideas, should it happen again.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » December 25th, 2010, 11:08 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:That's what I'm wondering...if his back hurts coming through, or something. .

I also noticed when he stepped IN to the room using the door, he would forget to lift his back legs and he was banging them a little. :( Maybe it was too painful and like mentioned, he figured why bother?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » December 25th, 2010, 11:31 pm

How high does he have to step coming in and going out. We ended up having to put a step in front of our dog door (well actually a platform) so tha my older boys didn't have to "jump" in and out.
airwalk
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » December 26th, 2010, 7:44 am

The bottom part of the door that they step over is 9 inches high. I have given up asking him to use the doggie door to come in. I am just happy he WILL come in. :sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » December 26th, 2010, 10:47 am

iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » December 26th, 2010, 11:25 am

I think you may be on the right track. 9 " while not a lot, possibly feels like a lot with his arthritis, so he sits outside but when it's time to come in stepping over hurts just enough that he doesn't want to do it. Not stubborn, but avoiding discomfort.
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » December 26th, 2010, 11:33 am

airwalk wrote:I think you may be on the right track. 9 " while not a lot, possibly feels like a lot with his arthritis, so he sits outside but when it's time to come in stepping over hurts just enough that he doesn't want to do it. Not stubborn, but avoiding discomfort.

Yup...exactly.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby iluvk9 » December 26th, 2010, 11:52 am

Ok, thanks for that idea about the height. :dance: He will just be allowed to use the regular door part. Ironically, the only one that didn't need a doggie door, yet uses it all the time, is my Harleybird. He even knows to tap his nose on it first to determine if it is locked or not. He is so damn smart. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » December 26th, 2010, 2:13 pm

We ended up (at the beginnng) building a platform that was big enough for the dogs to step up and have all four on then they stepped through. It took the step to a normal height. We've now just topped the rear patio and the hole thing is just a step.

I only asked because I had the same issue with Charlie and Noel and a few other seniors here.
airwalk
I live here

Postby hugapitbull » December 26th, 2010, 2:27 pm

Joyce, if it is the arthritis causing the problem, he may never be comfortable using the door. Trouble is getting terribly arthritic and each day she becomes more cautious.

For example, she refuses to get off the bed unless the blanket is flat at the foot of the bed. She is afraid of getting her back feet caught on anything. She will wake us at 2AM to smooth the covers so she can get down. Also coming in our back door there is a little lip (about 2 inches) her back feet have to clear. She ALWAYS stops before coming in so she can get ready to make that hop to come through the door.

She knows that she is sore, and that she has to be careful or she will fall. If she falls, she is even more sore.

If Lenny has banged his already sore back legs coming in the door, he will naturally avoid it. Nine inches is a sizable hop for an arthritic senior.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » December 26th, 2010, 3:18 pm

hugapitbull wrote:If Lenny has banged his already sore back legs coming in the door, he will naturally avoid it. Nine inches is a sizable hop for an arthritic senior.

I agree. I think that was the "look" he was giving me in the video and why he kept giving me his paw....like out of respect, but telling me he was afraid to use ANY door at this point. Again, I go back to what the kennel/dog trainer said about him...heart of gold and very smart.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » December 26th, 2010, 4:39 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
hugapitbull wrote:If Lenny has banged his already sore back legs coming in the door, he will naturally avoid it. Nine inches is a sizable hop for an arthritic senior.

I agree. I think that was the "look" he was giving me in the video and why he kept giving me his paw....like out of respect, but telling me he was afraid to use ANY door at this point. Again, I go back to what the kennel/dog trainer said about him...heart of gold and very smart.

Ripley avoids certain things now in the house...he only jumps up on the bed or couch when a non-skid area rug is nearby. He's 13 and has arthritis all over.

As I say, "he'd old, but he ain't stupid"

TheRedQueen

Postby iluvk9 » December 26th, 2010, 5:01 pm

When I first got Leonard, I made sure I had lots of rubber backed rugs for him to walk on. Being in a crate all his life made it hard for him to walk in a 'sure-footed' manner. And his nails were so overgrown, it didn't help. :rolleyes2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby tiva » December 28th, 2010, 1:35 pm

That's great he's happier about coming in and out.

Unfortunately, when a dog runs like the wind at times, it doesn't mean he's out of pain. Lots of dogs will simply ignore their pain sometimes, even though it's still there. If he were my dog, I'd be talking with my vet about ways to reduce his arthritis pain and increase his mobility. Swim therapy and more nutraceuticals might do it, but it might also be time to think about pain relievers such as tramadol and/or rimadyl. They gave my 14 year old husky an extra year of increased mobility with less pain, and for her, the risks associated with medication was worth the quality of life. Each dog is different, of course. Good luck!
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » December 28th, 2010, 5:44 pm

tiva wrote:Unfortunately, when a dog runs like the wind at times, it doesn't mean he's out of pain.

I never thought of that...thank you for pointing it out. Since I basically LIVE at my Vet's office, I will bring Lenny in for a diagnosis.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » December 28th, 2010, 5:53 pm

And...dogs don't think about the future. So Rip might run around like an idiot in the yard with the other dogs, and then struggle to get out of bed later that night. But he doesn't stop and think..."gee, it'll be hard to move around later, maybe I won't run and body slam the others." ;)

TheRedQueen

Postby call2arms » December 29th, 2010, 1:54 am

Glad that he's finally using the door...

The pain/discomfort suggestions are good, the odd gait thing would sound right too. I also tought, maybe being 12 and all, his eyes are starting to go a little? And putting the doggy door may have somehow made him afraid - new element, can't see where he's putting his feet even if close to the inside. In that case, maybe going outdoors to do his business was enough to make him go through, but coming back inside was not too tempting?
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

PreviousNext

Return to Training & Behavior