Domino. I Said Yes.

Postby TheRedQueen » December 24th, 2010, 12:20 am

I agree that a vet visit is in order...don't rush on the food. A good quality food will do wonders for her, but until you know what the allergy is, don't worry too much about food. She could be allergic to fish for all you know right now. ;) Just get a good balanced food into her...and get a vet visit scheduled.

What food is she on right now? I've seen a lot of allergy cases with awful skin and weepy eyes turn out to be being fed Beneful or something.

I agree with separation for the time being, especially as she might be more snippy if she's not feeling especially well at the moment...and big Dar toenails could really do a number on that poor skin if he feels like trying to play.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ArtGypsy » December 24th, 2010, 12:24 am

TheRedQueen wrote:I agree that a vet visit is in order...don't rush on the food. A good quality food will do wonders for her, but until you know what the allergy is, don't worry too much about food. She could be allergic to fish for all you know right now. ;) Just get a good balanced food into her...and get a vet visit scheduled.

What food is she on right now? I've seen a lot of allergy cases with awful skin and weepy eyes turn out to be being fed Beneful or something

SHE'S ON BENEFUL!!
That's Why I thought from the beginning that a new food could make all the difference...AND I'M HOPING ..... :sad2: :shock: I can make a significant difference in her comfort level.
Right now, She's MISERABLE.

And I Worry More About Dar in GENERAL....So I Will have to be Extra Special Careful/Watchful.... :nono: :nono:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby madremissy » December 24th, 2010, 12:40 am

:heartbeat: I am glad you said yes.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » December 24th, 2010, 1:54 am

Mali mentioned it but I wanted to make sure it didn't get lost(crazy drug lady that I am). DO NOT STOP THE PREDNISONE SUDDENLY. If the dose is high enough stopping this medication suddenly can be life threatening. Allergies usually aren't treated at doses that high but just to be safe. Keep her on that dose until you talk to the vet. The vet will let you know if you can stop it or if you will need to slowly decrease the dose over time. Personally I wouldn't take the prednisone away until the allergies are under better control so she doesn't feel really icky until you figure out what she's allergic to.

She's adorable. I know she’ll be in good hands!
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby ArtGypsy » December 24th, 2010, 2:06 am

PoodleMaMaKat wrote:Mali mentioned it but I wanted to make sure it didn't get lost(crazy drug lady that I am). DO NOT STOP THE PREDNISONE SUDDENLY. If the dose is high enough stopping this medication suddenly can be life threatening. Allergies usually aren't treated at doses that high but just to be safe. Keep her on that dose until you talk to the vet. The vet will let you know if you can stop it or if you will need to slowly decrease the dose over time. Personally I wouldn't take the prednisone away until the allergies are under better control so she doesn't feel really icky until you figure out what she's allergic to.

yes, Thank you so much for this advice.....I'm not sure when she went off the pred. but I know nate said she was sick right now BECAUSE she was off the meds and the vet would be putting her back on. I think he has had trouble paying for the pred. and she may be ready for another round. I think I'd kinda like to put her back on the pred and slowly adjust her diet to the Fish-based TOTW....add the acidophlious and find out about that sulfur based stuff.......

Does Anybody Know how much a allergy tests costs???

She's adorable. I know she’ll be in good hands!
awwww thank you..... :dance:
ArtGypsy

Postby Malli » December 24th, 2010, 2:52 am

Pred should be CHEAP, like, cheap, cheap. It is here anyway. Its either yo-yoing off and on antibiotics, or Atopica, which costs an arm and a leg and we can't afford, so we stick with a minescule dose of Pred.

Allergy tests aren't cheap, but they aren't a fortune either, here anyway.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » December 24th, 2010, 3:06 am

I'm so so so glad that not only you are saving Domino from going to a bad place, but also you're giving a family in a bad situation a bit of happiness, knowing that their dog is going to a good home.

She seems very uncomfortable... For sure a change in food will help, and you can try adding some omega 3's as well (hemp and neem seed oils are better than fish oils for skin issues).

Methinks pred and skin infections aren't great friends. It,s nice if it makes her a bit more comfortable, but if there's an infection in there, in the long run it can cause some damage.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby hugapitbull » December 24th, 2010, 6:12 am

Sometimes they just speak to the heart, and you can't say no. That's how Duke came to live with us.

I think a good vet will go a long way in helping you with some of the decisions. With an allergy dog, persistence is key. You will find the right combo of treatment and food that will make it manageable, but it may take time. Sending lots of good thoughts and good luck.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » December 24th, 2010, 7:24 am

You are an amazing woman. :hug3: Domino is one lucky dog. :bananaDance:

With that said, all I can add is that a friend had her dogs on "Beneful' and when I got her to switch to a much better quality, the skin rash and ear infections cleared up in a week, without meds, actually.

Also, listen to PoodleMamaKadoodle (that is what I call her) :giggle:, as she is a Pharmacist and knows her stuff! When Carlos was on pred to keep is cancer at bay, he had to pee ALL the time, so if Domino pees in the house or crate, don't assume it is behavorial.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 24th, 2010, 7:26 am

Oh Grace, she's gorgeous. What an amazing woman you are. I don't know how a heart your size fits in your petite little body. :hug3:

Let me know what colors you want in your leash, and whether you prefer a regular or a slip lead, and I'll get it to you. It'll be my "welcome home, Domino" gift.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby CinderDee » December 24th, 2010, 7:31 am

She's so beautiful & you're an angel for taking her in. :loveU: Let me know what size her neck is and I'll send her a nice girly collar.

I have a couple of Kate's coats here if she needs one. :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » December 24th, 2010, 10:28 am

call2arms wrote:Methinks pred and skin infections aren't great friends. It,s nice if it makes her a bit more comfortable, but if there's an infection in there, in the long run it can cause some damage.

Prednisone and minor skin infections are fine together. If you don’t stop the itching with the pred the antibiotics might not be able to clear up the infection. Steroids and major fungal infections are a no-no.

I didn't realize she'd been taken off the pred already. Sorry. No wonder she's so miserable!! Pred is on the Walmart/Target ect. $4 list. I've gotten it even cheaper from my vet.
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby FAB dogs » December 24th, 2010, 10:33 am

I second the "follow your heart" comment. Trust your heart and your instinct.

When I introduce a new foster into the house, I bring him in while my dogs are crated. Let new dog get a feel for the lay of the land. Show him the door we go out for potty and take a quick potty break. Then I crate foster dog while letting my dogs out. They usually gather around foster's crate. If everyone seems okay with each other, I'll let foster out of the crate. This whole process usually takes an hour or more on a good day.

For the first 3-4 days, whenever foster is out of the crate he's tethered to me. That way I can be on the spot if there are any issues with the other dogs. If all goes well, foster is allowed to be un-tethered and interact with the other dogs. But foster is still on a leash in case I have to break things up. My own dogs are pretty good with verbal commands (in the house anyway) and will usually back off when told. Dragging the leash is done for another 3-4 days. Of course, this is all based on how foster dog and my dogs get along.

I have a very small house so I don't have the luxury of rotating dogs or compartmentalizing them. So the above is pretty much the best I can do. I've had more than 40 foster dogs (mostly sibes and other northern breeds) come through and have had pretty good luck with all of them. But my dogs are so used to foster dogs coming in that they take it all in stride.

Good luck! You did a great and wonderful thing and I'm sure it will all work out.
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby ArtGypsy » December 24th, 2010, 10:50 am

madremissy wrote::heartbeat: I am glad you said yes.

Me too, Missy, Me too.

I know there will be a lot of times I will stop and think WHAT THE HELL HAVE I DONE...:shake:
( I kinda/sorta don't like chaos ) :oops:

At least from what I saw and what I was told, she doesn't come with a list of severe behavioral stuff that I couldn't work with.

Of course this doesn't mean she won't have/develop issues once she gets here.....but on the times I went to the house to see her/take pictures, there just wasn't this 'high energy dog' (like Dar) .
A part of this too, could be she feels miserable.
Nate said the reason she looks so skinny is because when she gets flare ups (like now) she loses weight. :| I don't remember if he said that's because she doesn't eat or what.
Takes a lot of 'energy' to be scratching and head shaking every second. :cry:

I'll just have to take it one issue at a time......Not expect Miracles Over Night, and Simply do My Best.

Thanks you guys..........thanks so much.
ArtGypsy

Postby ArtGypsy » December 24th, 2010, 12:17 pm

mnp13 wrote:Debby recommended a sulpher based ointment to me for Connor when he had his staph infection and it was amazing. I can't remember what it's called though.

I personally like long separations, allowing them to get used to each other's smell and get used to the other dog just "being there." It was weeks before Ruby and Riggs met.

And I agree, that could also staph or mange.

Debby-Cheeky?
:| :)

or Someone Else??
ArtGypsy

Postby Malli » December 24th, 2010, 3:18 pm

Oscar gets minor skin infections all the time on Pred, but not full on or obviously there'd be antibiotics in the mix.

I think its pretty common, here in B.C. to prescribe a small tapering dose of Pred along with the AB's to help the dog stop itching while the infection gets under control... :|
Oscar used to have that combo quite a bit.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ArtGypsy » December 24th, 2010, 3:32 pm

I just Texted Nate at work, and he Said she hasn't been on Pred. for 2 months...
SO............maybe our vet will see if she needs AB and Pred. to slow down the inflammation, while I start tapering her off the Beneful onto Something Much Better.....
I have an unopened bottle of Acidopollis (sp) in the fridge, so I can add that as well.....

I just want to Soothe Her Poor Snozzle.... :(
ArtGypsy

Postby amazincc » December 24th, 2010, 5:33 pm

Faust is usually on Prednisone AND ABs at the same time when his allergies get really bad (knocks on wood, since he's been doing fantastic for a few months now)... we ALWAYS taper off the Prednisone very carefully/slowly.
I think - until she gets properly dx'd - we're all pretty much "guessing" on what to do for her, but starting her on better food is always a step in the right direction.
Has Nate tried Benadryl to give her some relief, at least for the itching? The generics are fairly inexpensive.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » December 24th, 2010, 6:08 pm

[quote="amazincc"
I think - until she gets properly dx'd - we're all pretty much "guessing" on what to do for her, but starting her on better food is always a step in the right direction.
Yes, I know.... :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :cry: but it helps me feel like I'm DOING something, even as she's 50 miles away with no relief..And I'm doing nothing. LOL.

Has Nate tried Benadryl to give her some relief, at least for the itching? The generics are fairly inexpensive.[/quote]
I'll ask him when he texts me back after he gets off work. I give Macy a Benadryl daily from August to October every year. It's helped her immensely.
I asked him to send me her collar size. :D *thanks you guys!*

He said he wants to spend as much time with her as he can, before I take her; but if he has to be out by the 7th, I need the next two weeks to transition her as much as I can.
ArtGypsy

Postby cheekymunkee » December 24th, 2010, 6:55 pm

mnp13 wrote:Debby recommended a sulpher based ointment to me for Connor when he had his staph infection and it was amazing. I can't remember what it's called though.

I personally like long separations, allowing them to get used to each other's smell and get used to the other dog just "being there." It was weeks before Ruby and Riggs met.

And I agree, that could also staph or mange.

Nu-Stock. Makes your house smell like a meth lab but it works wonders.

http://www.nustock.com/
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

PreviousNext

Return to Rescue