A Lenny problem

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby iluvk9 » December 24th, 2010, 7:52 am

For those who don't know: He is a 12 year old Golden. Rescued 2 years ago. He bit ALL the time, with no warning. He has come a long way and his only flaw is that when he doesn't want to do something, HE WON'T and I can't get him to. My kennel owner, who trained police dogs, said Lenny is "very smart and has a heart of gold".

I am in capable of clicker training, but am still looking for someone to train me. :(

Now that I have the doggie door, he will sometimes use it to go out but WILL NOT COME IN. He won't even use the regular door if I open it and call him. The problem is that he won't come in AT ALL. He sits on the lawn and looks away from me. I tried the sweet voice, dropping a trail of food (he eats until he gets to the door, then sits again). I tried using a leash, but he won't get up and I don't want to pull on his neck.

I have resorted to putting the muzzle on him and literally lifting his back end and pushing him, step by step as he growls. Once he gets in, he is happy, happy, happy.

I can't leave him outside till hell freezes over because sometimes I NEED him in so I can leave. His double coat also makes him unfreezable while outside. :wink:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » December 24th, 2010, 10:35 am

Now I feel so bad...

He seems to be afraid to come in because of the doggie door. :( He didn't hurt himself on it when he was using it. But he will sit outside and when I go over to him, he keeps giving me his paw. Like he is being submissive, maybe? And he won't give me eye contact.

He willingly uses the door OUT. But he won't come IN using the doggie door or the regular part that I open for him.

Help. :sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ArtGypsy » December 24th, 2010, 10:55 am

:sad2: :| :sad2: :|
You know I can't Help You, but I will Sit Here With You Until Somebody Does.
:itsOK:
:hug3:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby iluvk9 » December 24th, 2010, 11:36 am

8) Thanks!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ArtGypsy » December 24th, 2010, 12:12 pm

iluvk9 wrote:8) Thanks!

:wink: GOTCHER-Back-Babe!
ArtGypsy

Postby amazincc » December 24th, 2010, 2:01 pm

He won't even use the regular door if I open it and call him.

Well... that pretty much tells me he's not afraid of the doggy door. :wink:

Can he wear a harness?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » December 24th, 2010, 2:25 pm

I can try the harness I use in the car! Next time he goes out, I will put it on him. Then I am suppose to use it like a lead?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » December 24th, 2010, 3:22 pm

clip a long line to it. Do you feel bad pulling on the harness?

I honestly think what you are describing is just him wanting to stay out longer. Offering the paw is kind of "if I bat my eyes, can I get away with it?" or "here, will you take a shake-a-paw, instead?"

I could be way off, too... :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » December 24th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Malli wrote:clip a long line to it. Do you feel bad pulling on the harness?

Tried it and he just wouldn't budge. I was getting angry, so I stopped before it became a pissing match.

I honestly think what you are describing is just him wanting to stay out longer.

I thought of that, but he is usually the one that hates going out, and this started after I got the doggie door.

I put a thermometer outside and it is only 30 degrees, so I figured he won't freeze his fur off. 8) He stayed out for 45 minutes, just laying 10 feet from the deck/door. I had to run an errand, so I jangled dog biscuits at the door and after 5 long minutes, he trotted in.

But it seems a match of wills and Lenny is in control. I know this isn't good.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » December 24th, 2010, 4:06 pm

iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » December 24th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Joyce, that is exactly the way Trouble acts but she is spoiled rotten btw :lmao:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby madremissy » December 24th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Oh Lenny..... Wonder what has gotten into him?
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby mnp13 » December 24th, 2010, 5:13 pm

iluvk9 wrote: I put a thermometer outside and it is only 30 degrees, so I figured he won't freeze his fur off. 8) He stayed out for 45 minutes, just laying 10 feet from the deck/door. I had to run an errand, so I jangled dog biscuits at the door and after 5 long minutes, he trotted in.

When do you feed him? Maybe put him outside and then he can come in to eat. Did he use the dog door when he came in?

But it seems a match of wills and Lenny is in control. I know this isn't good.

You are an intelligent, educated lady. I think you can outsmart him. :)

iluvk9 wrote:
Malli wrote:clip a long line to it. Do you feel bad pulling on the harness?

Tried it and he just wouldn't budge. I was getting angry, so I stopped before it became a pissing match.

I identify with getting angry, so stopping is a good idea :) :) Aren't they "treasures"? lol

Does his harness have a front ring on it? perhaps clip the long line to that and reward for each step forward?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » December 24th, 2010, 5:25 pm

He's a stubborn little shyte. :shock: lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » December 24th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Awwwwwwwwwww.
He Looked Stressed to Me.... :(
And JOYCE!! I HEARD YOUR VOICE!! :dance:
ArtGypsy

Postby iluvk9 » December 24th, 2010, 5:47 pm

1) He eats, then goes out. I will try the opposite way.

2) He uses the doggie door to go out on his own. When I beg him/muzzle and push him in, we use the regular half of the door.

3) Harness has a ring, so I can reward with every step. Tomorrow....because it is dark, and I am going out to celebrate soon. :rolleyes2:

4) Bob, I thought about him just being "spoiled", but since it happened when the door was installed, I thought it was connected. :|

5) I hope I can outsmart the stubborn little shyte.

6) Yes, I have a voice. :neener:

Thanks! I have a new plan with the harness and food along the way as a reward. If I was mean enough, I would let him turn into a Golden Popsicle.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby furever_pit » December 24th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Personally, this is how I would deal with it...

If the dog wants to eat, he needs to come inside. You can use the food to reward him for every move toward the door with a jackpot when he gets inside. I wouldn't feed him under any other circumstance until he starts coming back inside on his own reliably. You end up giving the dog a choice: come inside and eat, or be stubborn and don't eat. Sends a pretty clear message and in my experience dogs are quick to change their tune.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby FAB dogs » December 24th, 2010, 9:02 pm

Is there something about the deck that bothers him? Maybe stepping up, even though it doesn't look too high, hurts him? Or he recently hurt himself on the deck? Splinter or something that he thinks of when he tries to come back in? Something about coming in he's equating with pain or fear?
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby CinderDee » December 24th, 2010, 9:26 pm

Zuzu loves your voice!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Malli » December 24th, 2010, 9:32 pm

I agree, good for you for stopping when you start to get angry. Its an issue with me, too.

I like the idea of dinner for coming in as well.

Beyond that, some method or other of forcing him is the only thing I can come up with:neutral:

I love your voice too :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Next

Return to Training & Behavior