Domino. I Said Yes.

Postby ArtGypsy » December 23rd, 2010, 10:37 pm

OKAY. **deep Breath**

Yesterday I got a Facebook letter from Becky, the playwright who wrote our story.
She told me that "Nate" *the young man that played the role of Patrick, who was killed along side my daughter was heartbroken because of not being able to find a home for his 4 year old pit bull, named Domino.

I Don't know all the financial issues, but he's not able to take Domino on with him when he and his family get evicted from their home.
((Domino has been with Nate since she was 8 weeks old))

Becky asked if perhaps I 'knew someone, somewhere' that might be able to help.
Of course I don't.
Too many pit bulls.......Too Many Miles Between Rescues who Are Slammed Full of Unwanted Dogs.

But this was Nate.

Nate, among the other young actors in the play, Gave So Very Much of Themselves ----in ways they never expected to give for a ROLE....
No Acting Opportunities prepared them for the Play "In My Daughter's Name".

These young people, for 8 performances, Lived and Relived the Life and the Deaths of Two Very young and Remarkable People.

These Young KIDS........I cannot Begin to Tell You.
These CHILDREN ...Trembled with Compassion and Reverence, every time they approached Us...the family.
They whispered...they cried......they never thought they would become a part of those that Lived and Those that Died.
I felt their Foreheads as they rested their burden Against Mine........We Leaned Together.....
We Suffered Against the Strain.
In No Way Do I have any weird psychological connection because Nate reminded me of Patrick.
I never knew Patrick.
But Nate Became a Part of the Pieces.

When that young man told me he had no hope for Domino, I believed him.
I went to a young theater major's house, expecting something middle class, something ubiquitous, something OKAY.
But I had stereotyped him...prejudged a theater student as if only middle class kids pick educations that rely on big dreams and slim chances.
Instead, I found an impoverished little family barely scraping by; a little pit bull with horrible skin allergies and weepy eyes.
A Desperate young man trying to save whatever he could as eviction and poverty forced him to make choices.

I decided Domino wasn't going to be a causality. :sad2:

I know THE Following:::
No Dog Aggression Even With Being in a Home full of Other Dogs...
No Human Aggression, Ever.
Likes to Chase Cats but Seems to Only Want to Play With Them.
Was Spayed at 5 Months.
Has Terrible Allergies and takes Predinsone pills??
Is Up to Date on all Shots
Takes Frontline for Heartworm/Fleas

Is Happy to Be Playing but Soon Settles and Takes Long Naps....

I Know, I know I know........ :| :oops: :| :oops: :|
I'm mixing a Lot of Personal Stuff in the Life of This Little Dog.
I'm taking a risk and Will Experience Profound changes with Dar and Macy.
This 'foster' May Last Forever.
Please Give Me Some Good Sound ADvice and Insights on Fostering ----

But This is Nate and he became more than a handsome young actor When He Stepped into our lives....

This is Domino and Now She Matters Too....

“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby amazincc » December 23rd, 2010, 10:44 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:This 'foster' May Last Forever.

My heart is about to explode w/happiness right now... a Christmas miracle for Domino!!! :D :D :D :D :D :hug3:

My advice - follow your heart. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BigDogBuford » December 23rd, 2010, 10:47 pm

Her skin looks like Kisses did. I'd try not feeding any beef, buffalo, bison, chicken or turkey. Also no grains and no yogurt and add a good acidophilus supplement. Poor girl. Keeping a t-shirt on Kisses keeps her from chewing/scratching at herself.

I don't suppose you know what's she's allergic to?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby ArtGypsy » December 23rd, 2010, 10:50 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Her skin looks like Kisses did. I'd try not feeding any beef, buffalo, bison, chicken or turkey. Also no grains and no yogurt and add a good acidophilus supplement. Poor girl. Keeping a t-shirt on Kisses keeps her from chewing/scratching at herself.

I don't suppose you know what's she's allergic to?

NO IDEA.
Vet never even mentioned he could have her tested.
I have a feeling the vet is a low-rent-no-frills vet providing minimal care.

THANK you for the advice....How about -Fish?? TOTW has a fish one...(Christine mentioned Fausty is eating it)...
ArtGypsy

Postby BigDogBuford » December 23rd, 2010, 11:08 pm

Fish is good as is duck!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby ArtGypsy » December 23rd, 2010, 11:11 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Fish is good as is duck!

OKAY!!
Dar and Macy Eat Natural Balance, Potato and Duck because of their flare ups...I like it...

Now...........Should I 'introduce' Domino in little transitional increments or all in one fell swoop? :|
ArtGypsy

Postby amazincc » December 23rd, 2010, 11:12 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:How about -Fish?? TOTW has a fish one...(Christine mentioned Fausty is eating it)...

Yes, I switched Faust(*y* :giggle:) over to that, even though he did very well on NB also... I like the ingredients much better, and he is doing fantastic. He gets about 2 1/2 cups a day, plus supplements, and the bag lasts for quite a while (since costs are always a factor...), not to mention the savings on vet bills for allergy-related visits.
Jeanine also sent a "magic potion" to treat his skin with, and he hasn't had any outbreaks in months. I couldn't be happier... :D :D :D

A correct diagnosis is vital to figure out the how to treat her skin condition, so that would be my first step. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitsnok » December 23rd, 2010, 11:17 pm

OMG she is ADORABLE.

It was meant to happen. TRULY. what a crazy turn of events to bring you guys together.
BLESS YOOOUUU!

We started TOTW fish formula and the dogs allergies are like 75% better. I highly recommend it.

I am with Christine, my heart is filled with joy!!!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » December 23rd, 2010, 11:36 pm

amazincc wrote:
ArtGypsy wrote:This 'foster' May Last Forever.

My heart is about to explode w/happiness right now... a Christmas miracle for Domino!!! Awww..I didn't think about THAT.... :rolleyes2:

:D :D :D :D :D :hug3:

My advice - follow your heart. :wink:

Thanks Christine............

We're Assembling/Planning now......extra crate, will make a 'run' .....Hey Ms. Liz...Might need some of those LEADS!!!! :dance:

A RESCUE/Adopt Me? Collar???

Find a TOTW Dealer........ :| is that made by the Innova people/??
ArtGypsy

Postby BigDogBuford » December 23rd, 2010, 11:38 pm

I didn't love the NB Duck and Potato but it was our only choice for a while. Kisses now on Go! Natural duck and potato and is doing really well and I like the ingredients a lot more.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby amazincc » December 23rd, 2010, 11:39 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:
BigDogBuford wrote:Now...........Should I 'introduce' Domino in little transitional increments ? :|

Yes... increase the amount of new kibble ((mixed w/her old food) over a week or so, and she should be fine. :)

But... I would definitely get her properly diagnosed before bringing her home. She could have anything from allergies to other skin conditions, and you don't want to spread some sort of mange-like thing to the rest of your household. It's really hard to tell from the pics what's wrong w'her skin... it *could* be something as simple as an allergy to her flea meds/food/etc., but there is a form of mange that is extremely contagious, though rare.
Better safe than sorry. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » December 23rd, 2010, 11:43 pm

Debby recommended a sulpher based ointment to me for Connor when he had his staph infection and it was amazing. I can't remember what it's called though.

I personally like long separations, allowing them to get used to each other's smell and get used to the other dog just "being there." It was weeks before Ruby and Riggs met.

And I agree, that could also staph or mange.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » December 23rd, 2010, 11:44 pm

prednisone will calm the inflammation in the skin, and tell the immune system to settle down and not overreact.

What dose is she taking, and how much does she weigh? Make sure to continue her on it, simply stoping her treatment could cause an Adisonian crisis and major metabolic systems issues (read: could cause pricey vet visit!!)

Switch her to the food slowly, maybe over a week or 2. Right now we're doing that with Oscar - we started with 1/3 new and 2/3 old with every meal and gradually we'll switch to more and less etc, etc.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ArtGypsy » December 23rd, 2010, 11:47 pm

amazincc wrote:
ArtGypsy wrote:
BigDogBuford wrote:Now...........Should I 'introduce' Domino in little transitional increments ? :|

Yes... increase the amount of new kibble ((mixed w/her old food) over a week or so, and she should be fine. :)

No, I meant introduce HER, in increments LOL!!
But... I would definitely get her properly diagnosed before bringing her home. She could have anything from allergies to other skin conditions, and you don't want to spread some sort of mange-like thing to the rest of your household. It's really hard to tell from the pics what's wrong w'her skin... it *could* be something as simple as an allergy to her flea meds/food/etc., but there is a form of mange that is extremely contagious, though rare.
Better safe than sorry. :wink:

I'm thinking about just taking her to our vet and beign done with it. Why would I trust this guy? :|
ArtGypsy

Postby pitsnok » December 23rd, 2010, 11:48 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:

Find a TOTW Dealer........ :| is that made by the Innova people/??

We get ours at Tractor Supply... if you have one of those in your area. If not, I bet you can go on to TOTW's website for a dealer search.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » December 23rd, 2010, 11:50 pm

mnp13 wrote:I personally like long separations, allowing them to get used to each other's smell and get used to the other dog just "being there." It was weeks before Ruby and Riggs met.

This. So much this. By the time my dogs actually meet a 'new' dog, they are so completely bored and over it. Unless I'm introducing a puppy, then I usually just let the pup meet everyone right away. All of my dogs are really good with puppies except for Buford. Buford can be a little grumpy but he's also really fair about corrections and the puppies always want to emulate and please Buford.

Definitely get her to the vet. She looks like she might have some sort of secondary infection going on. Does she smell funny? It might not be a bad idea to talk about taking her off meds and try a good diet and see how she does. You might be able to manage it that way and you can always add in some meds if needed later.
Last edited by BigDogBuford on December 23rd, 2010, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby amazincc » December 23rd, 2010, 11:53 pm

Orscheln's - 7028
701 South 6th Street
Seward, Nebraska 68434-2707
Phone: 402-643-9797
Distance: 12.7 miles

Orscheln's - 7027
110 W Marquis Ave
York, Nebraska 68467-9780
Phone: 402-362-3375
Distance: 12.9 miles

CBK Ranch & Veterinary
14005 SW 42nd Street
Martell, Nebraska 68404
Phone: 402-794-4677
Distance: 33.1 miles

Canine Consultants
1715 Van Dorn St
Lincoln, Nebraska 68502
Phone: 402-420-5011
Distance: 34.7 miles

Columbus Feed & Hatchery
2216 11th Street
Columbus, Nebraska 68601
Phone: 402-564-8104
Distance: 36.6 miles

Orscheln's - 7063
5640 Cornhusker Hwy
Lincoln, Nebraska 68507-3106
Phone: 402-466-1191
Distance: 36.8 miles

Central True Value Hardware
308 G St
Central City, Nebraska 68826
Phone: 308-946-3386
Distance: 37.4 miles

Tractor Supply #304
1319 East 23rd Street
Columbus, Nebraska 68601
Phone: 402-564-8102
Distance: 37.5 miles

Tractor Supply #766
9000 Amber Hill Court
Lincoln, Nebraska 68526
Phone: 402-420-0011
Distance: 40.6 miles

4 Paws Grooming LLC
1228 Rd 313
Clay Center, Nebraska 68933
Phone: 402-762-5600
Distance: 45.0 miles

Clay Center Critter Care
220 W Edgar
Clay Center, Nebraska 68933
Phone: 402-762-3776
Distance: 45.3 miles

I get mine on-line... but I know you travel ALL over for work... right? :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » December 23rd, 2010, 11:59 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:No, I meant introduce HER, in increments LOL!!

:doh: :oops:

Yesssss... have the man-cub walk her while you walk Dar, in neutral territory at first.
And once the initial exitment/novelty wears off it'll be a piece of cake (and I agree w/the boredom statement). :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » December 24th, 2010, 12:05 am

ORCHSHENS SELLS TOTW?? :shock: :mrgreen:
ArtGypsy

Postby ArtGypsy » December 24th, 2010, 12:07 am

amazincc wrote:
ArtGypsy wrote:No, I meant introduce HER, in increments LOL!!

:doh: :oops:

Yesssss... have the man-cub walk her while you walk Dar, in neutral territory at first.
And once the initial exitment/novelty wears off it'll be a piece of cake (and I agree w/the boredom statement). :)

Do I let them "meet"? or just SEE each other?

Shall I switch some towels/blankets back and forth?? (after I make sure she doesn't have something contagious?))
ArtGypsy

Next

Return to Rescue