Oh no.

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitsnok » December 19th, 2010, 10:56 pm

So I have an uncle who is 28. He just checked out of a 'sober living' facility... (but didn't go to rehab first). He has had a drug problem for a while now, and still lives at home, and is supported by his parents. We were really close when we were younger. He is a really good looking guy, always was popular and athletic, has all the potential in the world... but somehow just went and effed his life up by doing drugs.
He had the first pit bull I ever met... back when I was like 15 or 16. She of course had puppies, and all of them died. (I don't know why, but can only assume it was my uncle's fault in some way.) He's always commenting and talking about my dogs, saying he needs another, and they're such great dogs and yadda yadda...

Anyway, His facebook status today read, "Anyone got any pitbulls for sale?"

:puke:

One guy so eloquently commented, "My cuz is sellin a littler of blues. papered and all." And my uncle wants to know when they'll be ready!
Even though I really try to stay out of his business and just let him screw up his own life I could not let this slide.

I said:
"I really don't think you should be getting a dog right now.

But when you do, check shelters and rescues first. Only one in 600 pit bulls finds a forever home and they are THE most euthanized animal in the country. There is a great reputable rescue bully rescue in your town."

Just being honest. I have pretty much dedicated my life to these dogs and I have to speak up when I feel it's necessary."

He could be possibly going to jail soon, not sure. He has gotten a few DUI's in the past year and was supposed to go to court ordered rehab for the second one, but then got arrested a third time...so I can only assume jail is the next step. He never keeps a job, and he bounces back and forth from my grandpa's (his dad's), to his mom's house. (His brother who also lives with his mom has a big lab dog who lives outside... with no fence or trees. I'm pretty sure he is tethered. My mom has offered to take the dog from him but he hasn't so far gone for that idea.) So basically there isn't one thing about this situation that is 'right'.

I just know if he ends up getting one everyone will come calling to me whenever he gets hauled off or just isn't responsible enough to take care of the damn thing.

I can't wait to see the responses I get...
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » December 19th, 2010, 11:22 pm

good for you for speaking up!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » December 20th, 2010, 6:50 am

I know it is difficult, but maybe if you take the "fake" position of showering your Uncle with syrupy sweet kindness and interest, you can sway him to see it isn't a good time to get any animal? Being that he is an addict and has been, sadly, for some time, he isn't a clear thinker. Obviously.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 20th, 2010, 8:27 am

Sorry you're having to go through this. Addictions are so hard, especially on the person with it, but also on anybody who cares about the person.

Good for you for speaking up.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby pitsnok » December 20th, 2010, 4:56 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I know it is difficult, but maybe if you take the "fake" position of showering your Uncle with syrupy sweet kindness and interest, you can sway him to see it isn't a good time to get any animal? Being that he is an addict and has been, sadly, for some time, he isn't a clear thinker. Obviously.

I sort of was a little kind-ish about it, haha. I really wanted to say, "You Dumbass! You can't take care of yourself, let alone a dog!!"

It's just kind of an interesting situation because it's kind of a hush hush thing... no one really talks about it... his parents are totally in denial about most of it. (The strangest part is that my grandpa, his dad, is a retired OSBI [Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation] agent. Like...he used to bust drug dealers for a living.)

So really I think everyone is allowing him to take advantage and what he really needs is to be called out on all his screw ups. That's what seems to help him the most.
Also, I am not really capable...at all...of being fake. I'm the worst liar ever.

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby dlynne1123 » December 21st, 2010, 3:06 pm

Doing what you do offer to take for a ride to see some dogs you 'know' in the shelter and explain how some of them got there. I am sure there will be some bullies there that you can subtly mention came from back yard breeders like the one on Facebook. maybe you can breach that soft side and talk him out of it.

When my bro wanted a dog I asked him to volunteer a few times at the shelter first to appreciate the work. He ended up getting the dog he walked for a few days instead of getting a puppy from neighbors.
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitsnok » December 30th, 2010, 6:50 pm

So at the family's Christmas get together on Sunday my uncle said to me, in a pretty proud way, like I would think it was so exciting:
(proud face) "I'm lookin' for a pit."
Me: (disgusted face) "Don't get one.
Uncle: "I'm gonna get one!"
Me: "Aaaannndddd where are you going to keep it?"
Uncle: "At my mom's"
Me: "Oh yeah?! Tied up out back with Crad?"
Uncle: "Yeah!"
Me: "He'll get stolen."
Uncle: "Not out there he won't."
Me: "Uh yeah, he's more likely to get stolen 'out there' than anywhere."
Uncle: "Nah."
Me: "Whats the point of you getting a dog?!"
Uncle: "I just miss my pits!"
Me: (Blank stare...)"You shouldn't get a dog."

I got up and walked off because I wasn't trying to have an argument with him in the middle of our family get together... and was just hoping and HOPING that his mom and step dad would refuse to let him get a dog... but I know that won't happen. His mom treats him like a ten year old. He almost got 'kicked out' of his mom's house because his step dad realized he had gone through all of his stuff while they were at work. So now my grandpa picks him up in the morning and "babysits" him during the day!!! :doh:
HE IS 28 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!

I realize now that I should have said, "Hey you should volunteer at a shelter. That way you can be around pits and stuff and then adopt one when you have your own place." He is in the process of interviewing at a vet clinic...I assume as a kennel tech type employee. Maybe that will help?

Anyway, throughout the day he kept on and kept on talking about it... I said to him, "If you insist on getting one please do NOT buy one from a breeder. " He assured me (like it was absurd of me to think he would ever do such a thing) that he wasn't going to. He showed me a picture of a six month old male that someone is trying to rehome and he was thinking about taking on. (A gorgeous dog I would love to have if I didn't have 97 already.) Then when we were talking about Boss's issues he had the balls to say to me, "He should come live down here with me!" I said "Uh. No." Very short and rudely...and in front of everyone. What an idiot. UGH.

Everyone was admiring my mom's cocker they had brought with them...talking about what great dogs cockers are and how sweet and tolerant they are... Because I have to be a know-it-all, I said, "You know cockers are one of the biting-est dogs?" And my grandpa and everyone was like, "Oh yeah right! What's your source? Pit bull brainwashing sites?!" I was so upset!! I was like "No really there are lots of published bite studies! Cockers, chihuahuas, different terriers...they're more likely to bite!" and my grandpa said, "I don't know any cockers who have killed anybody!" I said, "I never said anything about killing! I'm talking about biting!" I was so ...flustered, and I wanted to be like, "Hey! Who here is the crazy dog lady?! Have any of you guys ever researched breed information or anything?! NO! You have no idea! I'm the crazy dog lady!!! I Know!!!
Anyway, I can only presume that my grandpa and family's poor idea about pit bulls stems directly from my uncle's irresponsibility, and thinking that having a pit bull makes him 'tough'.

I was creeping my uncle's facebook later that day and he said to the girl rehoming the six month old male, "Does he have his nuts? Cuz I don't want some girly boy."

GEEEEZZZZUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! I want to punch him...twice.

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » December 31st, 2010, 10:23 pm

pitsnok wrote:I was creeping my uncle's facebook later that day and he said to the girl rehoming the six month old male, "Does he have his nuts? Cuz I don't want some girly boy."

Says the 28 year old who lives with mommy and daddy and is babysat by pop-pop every day?

:rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitsnok » January 2nd, 2011, 12:40 am

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

OH MY GODDDDD!! Michelle that was hilarious!!!!!

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk