Ollie is going to the doctor tomorrow.

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitsnok » December 20th, 2010, 2:28 am

Well, actually we both are.

He suddenly got... lame. Friday night he regurgitated food immediately, and also water immediately. So, he got 24 hours off and last night he got rice and green beans. (Didn't have any chicken. oops.) And today rice and green beans with some kibble mixed in. He ate all of his food this morning, but tonight he only ate a little bit and then was through. He hasn't pooped since Friday. :sad2: But he also has hardly eaten anything. As I mentioned before, he has lost weight, but I thought that we just hadn't figured out the right amount of food for him yet. Now he goes outside and pees, and then sits by the door and shivers. He's not totally lame. He will still play, and gets excited when he gets out of his crate and stuff... but he's definitely not acting like the crazy wacky animal that he usually is. He also has been stretching his back legs a lot, and seems like his balance is a bit off. I massaged his stomach a little and he doesn't seem to be in any pain in that area.

His coat felt dry on Friday, but today felt quite soft and like it had gotten its oil back. His gums are still pink and he doesn't feel fevery. His allergies have been really bad. He's been licking at his feet and rubbing a few places raw on his legs. We started giving them claritin instead of benadryl and so far I don't know if it has helped.

I noticed his ears were REALLY gross sometime last week so we've been cleaning them every other day, and using antibiotics that I had for boss's same problem every day for a few days. They are definitely cleaner, and hopefully getting better. I know really bad ear infections can cause vomiting and bad balance and stuff so... I guess it could be that but I'm not sure.

His symptoms also make it seem like he could have worms... (Ssiiiiiickkkk me out.) They all got their heart guard today, and I know it's not heart worms, but possibly roundworms? Anyway, I'm hoping it is as simple of a fix as just worming him and being done but... with the way things have been going I'm not keeping my hopes up.

And I think I have a ruptured ear drum or the ear infection from hell so I get to be poked and prodded tomorrow, too. Assuming the vet doesn't cost a gazillion dollars.

Anyway, good thoughts and vibes are appreciated!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » December 20th, 2010, 6:46 am

Wow. You certainly are on overload. Best of luck on your Dr. visit and I hope Ollie's situation is 'fixed'.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 20th, 2010, 8:33 am

Wow. That's a lot going on. Tons of good thoughts for both of you!

:goodthoughts:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hundilein » December 20th, 2010, 10:19 am

:hug3: You just can't catch a break! Here's hoping you can post a fabulous update soon.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby Jenn » December 20th, 2010, 2:39 pm

:hug3: A hug for you both, and only the best of thoughts headed ya'lls way! :goodthoughts:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitsnok » December 20th, 2010, 4:39 pm

Well, we may have caught a break! (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!)
Ollie woke up a new man today! He gobbled down his kibble and rice, and the first thing he did was RUN to the door and then poop! He's been playing and chewing on his bones and stuff. Jumping on me... Also won't seem to lay down...which is typical of him.
So I canceled his appointment and told them I'm just going to keep an eye on him and if tomorrow he's not feeling well again we'll come in. I really think it must be his ears!

Anyway, thanks for the good thoughts. keep them coming that we really are out of the woods!

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » December 20th, 2010, 6:27 pm

That is great!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amazincc » December 20th, 2010, 7:11 pm

I noticed his ears were REALLY gross sometime last week so we've been cleaning them every other day, and using antibiotics that I had for boss's same problem every day for a few days. They are definitely cleaner, and hopefully getting better. I know really bad ear infections can cause vomiting and bad balance and stuff so... I guess it could be that but I'm not sure.

Just a word of caution - IF Ollie has an ear infection he might feel better after a few days of taking Boss' meds, but a full course of antibiotics (usually ten days) is always recommended to make sure the infection is really gone. Otherwise it might flare up again "mid-stream" and get worse.

I'm glad he seems to be his old self again. :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitsnok » December 20th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Christine--luckily it's medicated drops- they gave us the large bottle and we already had one from Harlow a few
Months ago. So there is definitely ten days worth! Hopefully that is the cause. He is still being a little turd so I don't think it was a fluke this morning!

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » December 20th, 2010, 8:46 pm

pitsnok wrote:Christine--luckily it's medicated drops- they gave us the large bottle and we already had one from Harlow a few
Months ago. So there is definitely ten days worth! Hopefully that is the cause. He is still being a little turd so I don't think it was a fluke this morning!

Just as an FYI you should be careful. If the infection is bad enough and causes him to rupture an ear drum some medications cannot be put in the ear because they can cause more issues. Also some medications treat bacteria, some medications treat yeast, some medications treat both. If you don't know what is growing in the ear, you might not have the right medication.

If your treating it doesn't make it go away, he really should see the vet. Then you can also get him dewormer which will cover tape worms as well. The over the counter stuff doesn't work.

Isn't he also missing hair in spots that haven't been diagnosed?
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitsnok » December 20th, 2010, 9:36 pm

plebayo wrote:Just as an FYI you should be careful. If the infection is bad enough and causes him to rupture an ear drum some medications cannot be put in the ear because they can cause more issues. Also some medications treat bacteria, some medications treat yeast, some medications treat both. If you don't know what is growing in the ear, you might not have the right medication.

If your treating it doesn't make it go away, he really should see the vet. Then you can also get him dewormer which will cover tape worms as well. The over the counter stuff doesn't work.

Isn't he also missing hair in spots that haven't been diagnosed?

No, his hair and skin improved drastically when we switched to the Pacific Stream TOTW. Like... within two days. He has itched a few places on his legs because we ran out of benadryl. But since we've been giving him claritin he has stopped scratching them. I think he just can't go more than one day without being on allergy medicine.

I normally wouldn't have shared their medicine. The only reason I did is because when we took Boss in he had the exact same 'dirty' in his ears, and it was yeast infection. The vet told us to keep an eye on the three allergy dogs, and if they got the black stuff in their ears to clean, and use the medicine. If money wasn't such an issue right now I would have taken him in today anyway, just to be sure. (Boyfriend started his new job in the middle of a pay period so he got a small first check. therefore, it's one of those... 'bad' couple of weeks.)

I am really keeping a close eye on him, and checking his ears often. I know this isn't the ideal situation--I'm not proud of that...and I will get him to the vet if he shows any signs of anything tomorrow. Luckily our vet can always get us in on the same day so we won't have to wait.

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health