Salivary Gland Transplant

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby furever_pit » December 9th, 2010, 7:12 pm

So I have a client with three miniature poodles that board with me from time to time. One of them has had eye issues for quite some time. The ducts in her eyes did not produce tears or were blocked somehow, either way the owners had to put lubricant in the dog's eyes in order to prevent some serious dry eye.

Well, imagine my surprise when the dog shows up today and the only medication she has is an oral antibiotic. So I asked if they had forgotten the eye lubricant and, if so, I could get some more for them. Turns out the dog doesn't need it anymore. Why? Because the owners had salivary glands transplanted and placed into the ducts in her eyes.

It gets even cooler...when I feed the dog, she cries. It's Pavlov's response in her eyes! So weird, but so cool. (Yeah, I'm a dork and I am amused/fascinated by weird stuff.)
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Tubular Toby » December 9th, 2010, 7:56 pm

Wow, that is nuts!

I am glad my eyes do not water every time I look at a delicious plate of food. Haha
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 9th, 2010, 8:05 pm

That's pretty cool! And what dedicated owners. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » December 9th, 2010, 10:39 pm

I had no idea such a thing could be done...fascinating...get some video!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby furever_pit » December 10th, 2010, 6:32 pm

I'll try to get some video but I won't post it anywhere until I get the owners' permission.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » December 10th, 2010, 8:16 pm

That is REALLY neat!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby plebayo » December 10th, 2010, 11:40 pm

I think it's called Parotid Duct Transposition, it's a pretty cool surgery. One of the technicians I work with has seen a few done, she said in one case though a dog actually started getting plaque build up around the eye but I'm sure that's an extreme case of a dog being predisposed to icky mouth. In some cases medicating with cyclosporine just doesn't cut it. I've never seen the surgery done myself but it sounds pretty cool!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby TheRedQueen » December 11th, 2010, 12:04 am

I just told Inara that she is a bad dog...and I wouldn't pay for that surgery for her if she needed it. However, I told her that I'd lick her eyeballs every day to moisten them instead. :dance:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby plebayo » December 11th, 2010, 2:05 am

TheRedQueen wrote:I just told Inara that she is a bad dog...and I wouldn't pay for that surgery for her if she needed it. However, I told her that I'd lick her eyeballs every day to moisten them instead. :dance:

I think that is fair enough personally :| :mrgreen:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby TheRedQueen » December 11th, 2010, 9:58 am

plebayo wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:I just told Inara that she is a bad dog...and I wouldn't pay for that surgery for her if she needed it. However, I told her that I'd lick her eyeballs every day to moisten them instead. :dance:

I think that is fair enough personally :| :mrgreen:

I guess I should have gone to bed earlier last night... :rolleyes2:

TheRedQueen

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » December 11th, 2010, 6:32 pm

When Sidda was having terrible eye problems, my vet mentioned that he has seen owners do this surgery in extreme cases. I was like WOW THAT'S CRAZY!
Never thought of the crying at feeding time!
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health