Not Pit Bull But Definitely Note Worthy

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby BigDogBuford » December 7th, 2010, 12:45 am

Urg, I want to stab myself in the eye after today. Kids toss a ball into a yard. Instead of going to the front door (owners were home) one kid decides to drag a recycling container over and jump their six foot wood fence into the yard with three Bull Mastiffs. Dogs bite kid, kid is in the hospital in stable condition and they are talking about euthanizing the dogs. This has been ALL OVER the local news today.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... d_boy.html

Seattle Authorities Hold Dogs That Mauled Boy

SEATTLE -- Seattle Animal Control is holding three bull mastiffs for observation after the dogs badly mauled a 10-year-old boy who climbed into their fenced yard to retrieve a ball.

Enforcement officer Don Baxter told The Seattle Times Sunday that no decision about the dogs' fates will be made until an investigation is completed.

Seattle police say three brothers were playing at a field in South Seattle Saturday when their ball flew into the backyard of a house. Police spokeswoman Renee Witt says the boys pushed a garbage can against the 6-foot fence and the 10-year-old climbed over.

She says the boy suffered large gashes to his head and throat and a possible broken arm. He was taken to Harborview Medical Center.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » December 7th, 2010, 1:30 am

The comments that I have read on four sites have been overwhelmingly in favor of the dogs. That they were just doing what dogs do when a stranger climbs the six foot fence around their yard.

However, this comment :rolleyes2:
A bull mastiff is a huge animal that can weigh up to 250 pounds and was breed specifically for the purpose of being a watch dog. For that purpose they are the best. They rarely bark or bite preferring to use there massive bodies to block, charge, knock down then stand on top of any invader holding them in place. A true Bull-Mastiff is a cross between a Bulldog and a Mastiff but sometimes people will use Pitt Bulls in the cross instead of Bulldogs. I wonder if these were actually Pit Bull Mastiffs which I know less about then the traditional mix but they look scary as hell. I don't know why these dogs went after that kid in such a radical manner. Either they are Pitt mixed or the kid had spent some time teasing them through the fence. Either way, it is not the norm to be bitten by a Bull-Mastiff.

WTFE
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » December 7th, 2010, 1:33 am

SEATTLE —

A 10-year old boy attacked by a pack of the dogs over the weekend was released from intensive care Monday and is listed in stable condition.

The boy was mauled by three Bull Mastiffs Saturday when he jumped a fence to retrieve a ball kicked into a neighbor's yard. He was taken to Harborview Medical Center.

The boy's uncle said the children did not believe the dogs were a threat. "But this time either it was the ball or him going closer to the house that set them off," Brady Russell explained.

Police say the a group of children were playing outside when one of them kicked a ball over a fence at a house in the 4200 block of S. Kenny St.

There were four Bull Mastiffs in the back yard. Three of the dogs attacked the boy and bit him on both arms, neck, and head. Neighbors saw the frenzy "a bunch of family members with a lot of kids, running barefoot, running frantic" Sarah Abdol explained.

The boy's uncle forced a gate open and went after the dogs "I only saw one actually biting him" Russell said. "The two females I was able to push off easily; the male took a little more effort."

The boy suffered serious but non-life threatening injuries. Seattle Fire Department responded and took him to the hospital. Animal Control responded and impounded the dogs. The Seattle Animal Shelter is required by law to keep the animals for ten days.

The boy's uncle said he does not believe the animals should be put down.

Copyright © 2010, KCPQ-TV

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-boy-att ... 3781.story

Wow... if only Pit Bulls could get this kind of fair coverage and treatment. I hope the dogs make it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » December 7th, 2010, 9:54 am

The comments on the radio and other media were overwhelmingly for putting the dogs down.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Suzi » December 7th, 2010, 10:14 am

WTF! From the news clip I saw, it looks as if that kid scaled a 6ft privacy fence.
It will be a criminal act, if in fact these dogs are put down. :(
Suzi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Hoyden » December 7th, 2010, 10:41 am

Why aren't kids being charged with trespassing?

They KNEW the dogs were there, yet they chose to climb the fence. That's just stupid. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby BigDogBuford » December 7th, 2010, 12:37 pm

Yes, the kid totally pulled a recycling container over to help jump the fence. And what gets me is that the owners were home at the time. All he would have had to do was knock on the door and ask for the ball back. Instead he decided to trespass and now the dogs might pay the price.

I really, really hope they don't put the dogs down because I'm super scared of the precedent it would set. If it had been a burglar instead of a kid, everyone would be singing praises for these dogs because they were just doing what dogs do. :bs:
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » December 7th, 2010, 6:10 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:I really, really hope they don't put the dogs down because I'm super scared of the precedent it would set. If it had been a burglar instead of a kid, everyone would be singing praises for these dogs because they were just doing what dogs do. :bs:

Yup... the brain dead "just think of the children!" routine.

Unfortunately, it is VERY common for tresspassers - and even burglars! - to sue and WIN when they get hurt on someone's property where they have no business being in the first place. The days of personal responsibility and plain logic are long gone in this country.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby furever_pit » December 8th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Wow, that's ridiculous.
No way those dogs should be euthanized.
Part of me wants to say that the kid should get in trouble for trespassing.

If I had pulled that stunt when I was a kid, my Dad would have been livid.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » December 8th, 2010, 6:14 pm

While my mom would have been upset, should would have been way more upset at me for trespassing. In fact, when I was five or six I ran through my neighbor's back yard and their GSD bit me on the ass. It didn't break skin, but did rip my pants and underwear (oh, the horror everyone saw my butt!) and left a serious bruise. I got NO SYMPATHY from my mom. Her quote, "Well what in the hell were you doing running through their yard?!?"

Haha.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL