Patchy coat/hoarse voice/ watery eyes

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitsnok » December 5th, 2010, 3:59 am

So I started noticing that Ollie had more 'spots'. And eventually realized that they were patches of thinner hair. And in the past few days he actually sounds like he is kind of hoarse whenever he whines. I noticed Degan has also been sounding a little bit hoarse... So maybe it could be caused by us finally turning the heater on? (We didn't turn it on until Wednesday.) I know that I get dry sinuses/throat from the heater, but I wasn't sure if it could affect a dog as well?

The issues with his hair seems very similar to the patchiness that Harlow had in relation to her hypothyroidism. But he is NOT lethargic, is NOT gaining weight (as a matter of fact we keep upping his food to see if he will gain weight), and he doesn't have any of the blackhead things Harlow also had. He hasn't been itching any more than normal either.
Degan's hair is also different... it seems coarser, and has a lot more texture to it. (Do pit bulls have 'winter' coats? It seems dumb but that's the only explanation I came up with for that... :| )

Another thing I've noticed is that Harlow's 'white' eye has been runnier than usual, and almost seems a bit swollen. At first I suspected pink eye, but her actual eyeball isn't red.

We were out of benadryl for like a week so I thought all of these could be allergy related, but wasn't sure.

We have been feeding TOTW high prarie since we got Boss and Ollie. I'm not sure if that could be the cause? I have been wanting to try the pacific stream TOTW but every time we go they are out of the large bags.

Sorry to lump so many things into one thread, it just seemed better than posting multiples.

Any suggestions?
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » December 5th, 2010, 4:17 am

the hair loss could be demodex. my first thought would be a thyroid issue if not demodex. have they been vaccinated for kennel cough? they could have that or could have an upper respiratory thing going on which both could coincide with demodex due to low immune system.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitsnok » December 5th, 2010, 5:33 am

They've had all their vaccinations...
Degan had both kennel caugh and demodex. Although I know all dogs are affected differently it doesn't seem like either. Ollie's spots are only in one grouping on his side/back. I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

Ollie did just pee and have partial diarrhea in his crate...we starte giving them different treats and I'm thinking it upset his stomach. But I'm worried he might have a UTI as well now.

Ugh. These dogs.

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » December 5th, 2010, 2:42 pm

Are you treating for fleas? If he's really allergic to fleas just one bite could send him itching. Hair loss can also be due to allergies. Regardless it sounds like he should see a vet to see what it is.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitsnok » December 5th, 2010, 6:27 pm

We don't treat for fleas, but also have never seen/felt/had any. I was looking over his spots today and the hair seems to have grown in some. I'm thinking it really was caused by not having benadryl for those few days.
I also got some claritin, as recommended by our vet, and once I am home more this week I will be trying that out to see if it is better. Not sure boyfriend would be able to notice much of a difference as far as that goes.
Also, Harlow's eye looks much better, too.

I will say, our weather has been absolutely crazy the past few weeks. Oklahoma is notorious for having rapid changes... it can be 70 one day and snowing the next... We have been having ups and downs with it being really cold, and really warm. It was actually 70 like three days ago, and we are supposed to get snow on Tuesday. I know I am hoarse, and my nose and throat have been super dry. I'm thinking Ollie's vocal issues are probably caused by that. I've been looking into getting a humidifier for our bedroom... I think it would be beneficial for all of us.

We have been supplementing their food with fish oil capsules. Although I did notice after we started giving them that they are just fish oil, and not salmon. Should I switch to salmon or is it relatively the same? Also I'm hoping next time we buy food they will have the salmon formula... just to see if maybe there is an allergy, or fat content issue.

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » December 6th, 2010, 12:40 am

pitsnok wrote:The issues with his hair seems very similar to the patchiness that Harlow had in relation to her hypothyroidism. But he is NOT lethargic, is NOT gaining weight (as a matter of fact we keep upping his food to see if he will gain weight), and he doesn't have any of the blackhead things Harlow also had. He hasn't been itching any more than normal either.
Degan's hair is also different... it seems coarser, and has a lot more texture to it. (Do pit bulls have 'winter' coats? It seems dumb but that's the only explanation I came up with for that... :| )

Ripley has thyroid issues, but had no coat issues at all...or weight issues. His only symptoms originally and when his dosage is out of whack is that he pees more than usual, is more anxious and is aggressive with other dogs. So thyroid symptoms can really vary.

but yes, I agree that it sounds like a vet visit is in order!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitsnok » December 6th, 2010, 10:33 am

TheRedQueen wrote:
Ripley has thyroid issues, but had no coat issues at all...or weight issues. His only symptoms originally and when his dosage is out of whack is that he pees more than usual, is more anxious and is aggressive with other dogs. So thyroid symptoms can really vary.

but yes, I agree that it sounds like a vet visit is in order!

Hmm... that could explain his peeing in his crate I suppose.
Can they be hperthyretic? (I'm pretty sure that's not a word, it just sounds correct. :dance: )

Geeeez these animals are 'spensive! Haha!

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » December 6th, 2010, 1:55 pm

Yes
They can have Hypo-thyroid (low thyroid), or Hyper-thyroid (high thyroid).

I agree on the vet visit; it could be nothing, and it probably is, but there is lots of serious stuff that starts with all sorts of innocuous seeming symptoms.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby plebayo » December 6th, 2010, 3:07 pm

Most dogs are HypO-thyroid [low thyroid]. You might find a rare case of HypeR-thyroid in a dog but usually it's cats that get a high thyroid.

I agree on the vet visit; it could be nothing, and it probably is, but there is lots of serious stuff that starts with all sorts of innocuous seeming symptoms.

This.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Return to Nutrition & Health