DEBATE: Handicapped parking

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby TheRedQueen » December 2nd, 2010, 9:54 am

Would you be mad if you were in a parking lot and found a van with handicapped tags parked...and taking up two regular parking spaces? :|
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 2nd, 2010, 10:24 am

I don't think so...I get more annoyed when I see what LOOK LIKE perfectly healthy, very mobile people getting out of cars parked in the handicapped spaces. I understand that not all handicaps are visible but it still really annoys me.

If handicapped people need to park in the regular lot 'cause all the handicapped spaces are taken, I would assume they might need a couple spaces to have room for equipment.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Suzi » December 2nd, 2010, 11:10 am

Not at all! More than likely, the vehicle needs enough room allowance for the chair, and or ramp (lots of folks that do not have the use of their legs, that travel alone, have ramps) that needs to be extended for the person to navigate in and out of the vehicle without assistance.....
Suzi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby AllAmericanPUP » December 2nd, 2010, 12:09 pm

^ i agree
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby furever_pit » December 2nd, 2010, 12:13 pm

Agreed.

I get way more annoyed by people without handicapped tags park in the handicapped spot.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » December 2nd, 2010, 12:22 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I don't think so...I get more annoyed when I see what LOOK LIKE perfectly healthy, very mobile people getting out of cars parked in the handicapped spaces. I understand that not all handicaps are visible but it still really annoys me.

What Liz said.
If its a handicapped van, they are always modified, so the smart should be thinking that there will be something that comes out of the van to help the person enter and exit it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Pit♥bull » December 2nd, 2010, 1:14 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I don't think so...I get more annoyed when I see what LOOK LIKE perfectly healthy, very mobile people getting out of cars parked in the handicapped spaces. I understand that not all handicaps are visible but it still really annoys me.
I use the handicapped parking and you would never know I was handicapped. I have COPD and more than a short walk is a real issue. :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 2nd, 2010, 1:27 pm

Oh trust me, I realize that my annoyance is ridiculous and unfounded. I acknowledge that!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

pitbullmamaliz

Postby iluvk9 » December 2nd, 2010, 1:34 pm

It wouldn't bother me if a handicapped van/vehicle took THREE spaces.

What annoys me are the idiots I work with, who, even with their Master's Degrees, can't park between TWO WHITE LINES.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » December 2nd, 2010, 1:44 pm

book smart does not = street smart ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Hoyden » December 2nd, 2010, 2:25 pm

No it doesn't bother me at all. It is totally understandable and acceptable.

Interestingly enough, when I was at Super Cuts getting Gremlin's dreadlocks trimmed I saw a brand new extra cab dually truck towed for taking up three spaces because the owner parked like a jerk to keep other vehicles away from his, while a van with handicap plates taking up two spaces was ignored.

The owner came flying out of the Sprint store yelling and said he would move the vehicle. The cops showed up and told the truck owner he was being cited and his vehicle was being towed because he was obstructing parking for the other businesses and they had been receiving complaints for over a week. One of the businesses owners had called to have the truck towed after complaints from customers.

The truck owner pointed at the van with handicapped plates taking up two spots and started arguing with the cop, the cop told him that since there were no other handicapped spaces available, the way the van was parked was not at issue because it probably had a lift.

At that point the truck owner was so angry he was almost purple, he passed red a while ago, the cop told him that if he continued he would be arrested for something, I didn't hear exactly what because the tow truck started up.

I was already sitting in my truck waiting for Gremlin because she had to go in by herself :rolleyes2:, so I just listened and watched shamelessly.

Far as I am concerned, served the idiot truck owner right. The parking lot isn't very big and he was being an inconsiderate jerk parking the way he did.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Hoyden » December 2nd, 2010, 2:42 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:
I use the handicapped parking and you would never know I was handicapped. I have COPD and more than a short walk is a real issue. :|

It's understandable, especially since so many people abuse the handicap tags. The State of CT is trying to put a stop to it by getting rid of life time handicap tags in favor of long term ones that need to be renewed with a form signed by your doctor when you renew your driver's license.

On a good day, I don't have issues with walking, so I don't use handicapped parking spaces. On a bad day, if I go out at all, it's pretty obvious I have mobility issues.

I also use mine if the conditions make it dangerous for me to walk any distance, for example if it's icy, there is snow on the ground or I would be in danger of slipping, tripping or falling. I don't have feeling in my right foot so I am more prone to slipping or falling.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby SvcDogSawyer » December 2nd, 2010, 3:29 pm

I obviously don't have a problem with taking up 2 regular spaces. My biggest issue is the people with handicapped tags that can't or won't park between the lines. The slanted lines between the accessible spaces mean no parking, dumbass. Those spaces in between are not so you can park any way you want. If you need extra space so you can open your door all the way then park so the slanted lines are on that side. Yes, that means back into a space if you have to, don't park half into the van accessible space. If you do, I WILL DROP MY LIFT ON YOUR CAR. If you park so I can't get back into my van, your vehicle will have a couple of dents & deep scratches by the time you get back. If a person is stupid enough to park their motorcycle in that area, they may come back to fallen bike.

Demo may have an opinion on this, but what the hell gives a police officer the right to park in the lift space? I have no problem if they are in the vehicle & parked b/c they are there to move.

I been the situation where a PO parked his cruiser in the lift space at a movie theater and he had the nerve to be pissed at us because he was called out of the movie to move his car. He should have been kissing our asses, apologizing and begging for forgiveness.

AAAAAHHHHHHH, I feel much better now.
John & Sawyer

"Damn Walkies"
SvcDogSawyer
Not Patrick's Nipple

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 2nd, 2010, 3:34 pm

SvcDogSawyer wrote:AAAAAHHHHHHH, I feel much better now.

lol

pitbullmamaliz

Postby mnp13 » December 2nd, 2010, 8:24 pm

I think any car in a handicap space without a tag should be ticketed and towed the first second it is seen. I don't care who it is or why it's there. I grew up with a grandfather who had a drop foot, he got around well, but not that well. I used to see red when there wasn't a spot open for him because some idiot parked there to "just run in for a second" or if someone was sitting in the car waiting but in the spot. I think they should get a ticket for that too, even if the move right that second - because how many handicapped people have driven by while they sat there? Who knows... but I know that Grandpa and I drove past many people sitting in their cars in handicapped spots. And the fine should be $250 for the first time, $500 the second, $1000 the third. Period. No bargaining it down. and points. LOTS of points.

And if a car with a tag can't find a spot, then yes of course they should use two spots.

And John, do extra damage to the vehicle, and start taking pictures so I can enjoy the damage along with you.

I don't really care when nice cars take up two spots, as long as it is at the BACK of the lot where all the empty spaces are.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DemoDick » December 2nd, 2010, 8:29 pm

SvcDogSawyer wrote:Demo may have an opinion on this, but what the hell gives a police officer the right to park in the lift space? I have no problem if they are in the vehicle & parked b/c they are there to move.

Police vehicles and their operators are exempt from every Vehicle and Traffic Law in NYS. Yours may vary. I can and do park in front of hydrants, driveways, on sidewalks, etc. if I'm on a call, especially a hot one where another cop is onscene and I am backing them up. My main concern is getting to the side of the Officer to assist as needed.

I been the situation where a PO parked his cruiser in the lift space at a movie theater and he had the nerve to be pissed at us because he was called out of the movie to move his car. He should have been kissing our asses, apologizing and begging for forgiveness.

AAAAAHHHHHHH, I feel much better now.

Was he on a call or watching the movie? Driving his patrol car to the theater to watch a movie is unacceptable and probably a violation of his department's policy (and possibly the law).

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby DemoDick » December 3rd, 2010, 1:33 am

I'll say what many here would believe is unconscionable. I do not believe that government should have the ability to require and/or penalize any business for failing to provide handicapped parking, handicapped access, etc. Private property is just that-private. I would even go so far as to say that businesses should be allowed to refuse service to customers for any reason, including race. Again, private property. If someone wants to be an asshole on property they own, be it building a mosque built with private funds at Ground Zero or putting up a Nazi flag in their store and only serving whites, that's their business.

Personally, I vote with my wallet and as an example one of the requirements for our upcoming wedding is that the facilities must be handicapped accessible. I would refuse to shop anywhere that didn't provide handicapped parking and access, too. Same for a shop owner who racially discriminates. I just don't like government mucking about with private property rights.. Government buildings are a different matter entirely though.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby plebayo » December 3rd, 2010, 2:05 am

The whole handicapped parking/taking up two spots thing doesn't bother me so much.

What bothers me is when I see a super sporty bmw or a huge jacked up diesel truck in the handicap parking spot. If you can haul your ass up into your truck, or you can squat your ass down to the ground you are NOT handicapped!

Handicapped parking is for people who have limited mobility, can't go long distances. It's for people in wheel chairs so they don't have to haul everything super far etc. It is there to give them a space to get their wheel chairs out if need be. Handicapped parking is to make things easier for people who have trouble walking long distances, make it easier to haul groceries out etc.

If you can distort your body to get into or jump into your vehicle - you do not deserve this special parking privilege.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby SLS61185 » December 3rd, 2010, 2:24 am

I'm with Liz, too. Just, if you park right in front of a store that has a sidewalk, don't block the freaking walkway because you can't park stright. I do, however, have an issue with grandma(pa) driving a SUV with a tag/sticker and still parking in the handicap spot, and STILL can't park striaght. You don't need the damn SUV. Period. Also, I have an issue with grandma(pa) needing to park in the handicap spot because they 'can't walk from a normal spot without having issues' yet they can walk around a store for an hour or so without any issues! Obviously that spot isn't that imporant. And yes, they do it where I work. How do I know this? Because some of them are parking and going inside when I pull into work.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SvcDogSawyer » December 3rd, 2010, 4:50 pm

DemoDick wrote:Police vehicles and their operators are exempt from every Vehicle and Traffic Law in NYS. Yours may vary. I can and do park in front of hydrants, driveways, on sidewalks, etc. if I'm on a call, especially a hot one where another cop is onscene and I am backing them up. My main concern is getting to the side of the Officer to assist as needed.

This, I have no problem with. I see a lot of state troopers and other POs driving their cruisers around off duty. I don't know if they're supposed to or not, but they do.
John & Sawyer

"Damn Walkies"
SvcDogSawyer
Not Patrick's Nipple

Next

Return to Off-Topic