Need Doggie Door Help

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby iluvk9 » December 2nd, 2010, 7:53 am

I have been tossing this around for years, and again I am thinking of the convenience of a doggie-door. Not the type you make a hole in your wall, but the one you install next to your sliding glass door.

I will only use it when I am home, as I don't let any of them outside otherwise. It is specifically for Truman's midnight and 3 a.m. "I want to go outside, and sit in the yard looking around" time.

Has anyone used it with an extra-large breed dog? Do they actually FIT out the XL model?

The extra large model has a step that is 9" off the ground, compared to the large, with 5". It is not the step I am concerned about, but the demensions are 10"w x 15" h. I really don't know if Bubba Truman can FIT through that. I made a paper model of the size, but that isn't helping me visualize it.

He has no problem with the doggie door at the kennel, but as I remember, a small donkey could fit through those. Not sure about my Jackass and the home version.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Hundilein » December 2nd, 2010, 10:00 am

I don't know what size it was, but I had one that was built into the screen door at my last house and my roommate's 100 pound lab/mastiff mix fit through it. She had to duck going through, but she made it and it never seemed to bother her. She and Renee did NOT fit through the door at the same time (a fact that Renee frequently forgot).
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » December 2nd, 2010, 12:26 pm

Hundilein wrote: She and Renee did NOT fit through the door at the same time (a fact that Renee frequently forgot).

:giggle:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » December 2nd, 2010, 1:32 pm

Thanks! If a large boned mastiff mix can fit, I am thinking the 140 pound Jackass can fit. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pocketpit » December 2nd, 2010, 2:02 pm

We had one, I don't remember what size but I know it wasn't super large and Moses could fit through it. He's our 125lb Presa.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » December 2nd, 2010, 3:27 pm

I'm sure Truman will make it out!

I'll have to take a video of Mia wiggling out my parents Schipperke sized dog door tomorrow when I go pick up the RV!! Kodi would fit just fine but refuses to use it. Mia on the other hand figured it out all on her own and spends most of the day going in and out.
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby amalie79 » December 2nd, 2010, 3:51 pm

PoodleMaMaKat wrote:I'm sure Truman will make it out!

I'll have to take a video of Mia wiggling out my parents Schipperke sized dog door tomorrow when I go pick up the RV!! Kodi would fit just fine but refuses to use it. Mia on the other hand figured it out all on her own and spends most of the day going in and out.

lol

My friend's boxer squeeeeezes through their old cat door. Needless to say, it's not her most graceful moment. :rolleyes2:
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » December 2nd, 2010, 4:04 pm

pocketpit wrote:We had one, I don't remember what size but I know it wasn't super large and Moses could fit through it. He's our 125lb Presa.

PERFECT! :wave2:
PoodleMaMaKat wrote:I'll have to take a video of Mia wiggling out my parents Schipperke sized dog door tomorrow when I go pick up the RV!!

8) Can't wait to see that!

amalie79 wrote:My friend's boxer squeeeeezes through their old cat door. Needless to say, it's not her most graceful moment. :rolleyes2:

Sounds like a day in the life of Truman. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » December 2nd, 2010, 6:07 pm

Um...I just thought of something. Since this doggie door will be permanently installed, I can't use the sliding glass door, right? :confused:

That would not work, because it is the only way for me to get into the backyard from the house. :doh:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » December 2nd, 2010, 8:07 pm

The door is installed, and then you close the glass door up against it. In effect, your door is 10 inches narrower. If you're really worried about it, open your door 10 inches wide and you'll see if he will fit width wise. As for height, in agility the Great Danes and Great Pyrenees use the same tunnel as the toy breeds, they all fit. :)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » December 2nd, 2010, 9:42 pm

mnp13 wrote:The door is installed, and then you close the glass door up against it. In effect, your door is 10 inches narrower. If you're really worried about it, open your door 10 inches wide and you'll see if he will fit width wise. As for height, in agility the Great Danes and Great Pyrenees use the same tunnel as the toy breeds, they all fit. :)

ooooohhhh! Good idea about seeing if Truman fits through the 10" space! I was watching You Tube videos and some of those dogs were hysterical.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » December 2nd, 2010, 11:31 pm

Oh, and we used to have a twelve pane french door in the kitchen, I popped out one piece of glass so the cats could get to the basement where their food was. The hole was about 8x10. Ruby started going through it to eat cat food. I had to block it off by half to get her to stop, and then she would stuff her head through and get stuck.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SLS61185 » December 3rd, 2010, 2:36 am

We just got a new screendoor with a doggie door a few weeks ago, because Patch shattered the glass in our last one. He's only 85lbs but has a massive head and shoulders.... He fits just fine. Coming in and out with one foot first is what saves him. However, don't think for a minute that the door or anything slows him down. He just barrels through it like it's nothing.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » December 3rd, 2010, 7:57 am

Thanks for all your replies. :wave2: I tested Truman like Michelle suggested and Bubba fits. 8) His sides scrape the sides of the 10" opening, but he entered full-frontal, as if he was walking in. So, like Stacey said, I am figuring he has to manipulate his body a little to get through a dog-door hole, but he will fit.

The others should have no problems, unless Leonard Bernstein gets weird on me again. (What he doesn't want to do, he WON'T do.) But he holds it in for HOURS if he doesn't want to go out.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » December 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am

OK, now I am just annoying the hell out of myself. :rolleyes2:

The door I liked runs $200. The problem is that I don't want them to use it all day when I am not home. THOSE doors run $400. :shock: They have special locking panels that are on hinges. Or they have models where your dogs wear special electronic collars and a signal unlocks the door. Again, w-a-a-a-a-y too expensive for me.

I may be giving up the idea. It is so frustrating.

I don't want one built into my wall, as I only plan on living here until I retire in a few years.

Uggh....
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » December 3rd, 2010, 11:24 am

Isn't it just a panel? Why can't you take it out when you leave?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » December 3rd, 2010, 12:53 pm

According to the video on how to install it, it is semi-permanantly installed. I think it would be too much work to put it in and out everytime. :(
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » December 3rd, 2010, 6:51 pm

So put a latch on it or put something in front of it when you leave. I'm assuming it must lock somehow or it would be a HUGE security problem for your home!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » December 3rd, 2010, 7:25 pm

From what I have read and seen on You Tube, it CAN be a major problem for security. Sure, I have a Jackass who will knock you over if you get in and a Golden that will bite your face off, BUT they can be drugged or something worse if someone really wanted to get in. :sad2:

I don't see how a latch could be put on the plastic sheet that is considered the door part. :|

:sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » December 3rd, 2010, 8:54 pm

Doesn't it have one of those plastic slide deals that you can pull in and out?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Next

Return to Off-Topic