DEBATE: Children Automatically US Citizens?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 30th, 2010, 1:21 pm

As the law currently stands, any child born in the US is automatically a US citizen, whether or not their parents are here legally. Do you think this is right or wrong, and why?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Pit♥bull » November 30th, 2010, 1:25 pm

In my opinion it's abuse of the system, we should not be responsible for illegals. :mad2:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » November 30th, 2010, 2:08 pm

as far as I know, its common practice. I believe it's also the same in Canada and England.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » November 30th, 2010, 2:22 pm

Malli wrote:as far as I know, its common practice. I believe it's also the same in Canada and England.

Correct, but I don't agree with it. The children should be the citizen of the parent's. If the parents are naturalized citizens then that's fine, but if not, they shouldn't be either.

That's a huge problem in France - kids born there are citizens, and the parents get to have government services because the kid is a citizen. (Or that was the way the law worked when I lived there. It might be different now.)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BullyLady » December 1st, 2010, 3:59 am

I think it's appropriate the way it is.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby iluvk9 » December 1st, 2010, 10:16 am

I think it depends on WHY you were born in the US.

If your parents have dual citizenship and you were born here, yes, you should be American.

If your parents do not have citizenship here, but are illegally remaining here, no, the child should not.

If your parents are visiting and you happen to be born at that time, no, again.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Hoyden » December 1st, 2010, 11:49 am

Malli wrote:as far as I know, its common practice. I believe it's also the same in Canada and England.

Canada, like the United States, has "jus soli" or citizenship by birthright.

British citizenship can not be gained by "jus soli" or being born in the United Kingdom, the law that applies is "lex soli", meaning that one parent of a child born in the UK must be a British citizen at the time of the child's birth or be "settled" in the United Kingdom.

The majority of Europe has moved away from birthright citizenship (jus soli, right of the soil) in favor of citizenship determined by the parent's citizenship (jus sanguinis, right of blood) or more commonly a combination of lex soli and lex sanguinis, law of soil and law of blood, respectively.

I am strongly against jus soli (birthright citizenship) and feel that United States needs to repeal the 14th Amendment and amend the Constitution so that US Citizenship is gained via birth to a parent that is a US Citizen at the time of the child's birth (lex soli) or by descent if one parent is a US citizen otherwise than by descent (if the parent is a US citizen via adoption, naturalization etc.) (lex sanguinis)

I also feel that the US needs to change it's laws so that only those who are US citizens, legal aliens/legal immigrants or in the country via other legal means are eligible for social services and education. When I lived in Italy or Japan, my parents had to pay for me to go to school there if I didn't got to the DODDS (Department of Defense Dependent Schools) school because I was not a citizen.

When the US is no longer the land hands out Citizenship, welfare dollars, free medical services and free education to people irregardless of citizenship, illegal immigration will come to a screeching halt.

For what it's worth, I am a US Citizen via lex sanguinis. I was born in another country to parents that are US Citizens. My father was active duty in the Navy.

You can see a list of the countries that grant citizenship by birth in the jus soli link below.

Jus soli: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli
Jus sanguinis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_sanguinis
British Nationality: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law#Registration_as_a_British_citizen
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby mnp13 » December 1st, 2010, 11:58 am

BullyLady wrote:I think it's appropriate the way it is.

Really? Someone here on vacation or in the country illegally can have a baby and that baby should automatically be a citizen? I know it's not the baby's "fault" if the parents are here illegally, and I don't think that medical care should be denied someone in an emergency - but once all that is done, bye bye.

And the whole thing in California about illegals "deserving" drivers incenses, social services and all that other crap? No way.

Not being a bitch, I'm just really wondering why you feel it's appropriate? (And there are millions of people who think it's too strict the way it is)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » December 1st, 2010, 12:47 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I think it depends on WHY you were born in the US.

If your parents have dual citizenship and you were born here, yes, you should be American.

If your parents do not have citizenship here, but are illegally remaining here, no, the child should not.

If your parents are visiting and you happen to be born at that time, no, again.

Agreed
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Return to Off-Topic