Sad story about a baby

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby mnp13 » November 14th, 2010, 9:18 pm

My cousin's husband serves papers for a law firm in a neighboring city.

Last week, he had to serve a family whose dog had bitten their infant, cracking her skull and causing frontal lobe damage.

The 13 year old dog had been growling at her since about Labor Day. Mom wanted to keep the dog locked up, Grandma wanted them to "work it out" (what the hell does that mean?) So early last week, the baby was out crawling across the floor behind the dog while the dog was eating. The dog finally had enough of giving warnings, and turned around grabbed her by the head.

I'm appalled at all of the above... the dog isn't dead at this point, though he said that the insurance company is likely going to try to force the family to put it down. I can not fathom what any of the adults in the family were thinking.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Ino » November 14th, 2010, 9:25 pm

That sucks- truely is sad. I don't understand people's logic (or lack of) sometimes. I am still pretty new with learning about dog behaviors (there is a lot I do not know) and I definately would have understood that warning sign- could it be more obvious??? :bs: The poor kid and dog.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby LMM » November 15th, 2010, 11:29 am

So unnecessary and AVOIDABLE. Ugh.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby furever_pit » November 15th, 2010, 7:36 pm

Ugh. So sad.
And so so easy to prevent.
It is so simple to just keep the dog separated. But guess you gotta let an infant and a dog "work it out". :rolleyes2:

Something similar happened to a friend of mine not too long ago. She had a 6 year old deaf Pit Bull who had barrier and food aggression. Dog had also already demonstrated that it was not great with kids. I told her months and months ago to watch that dog with her new baby. Did she listen? Noooo. The dog grabbed her 6 month old son's face when he crawled near her while she was waiting to be fed. Luckily, the kid was not hurt badly but he could have been. The escapade won that dog a one way trip to the vet.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » November 15th, 2010, 9:13 pm

:shock: :shock: OMG :shock: :shock:

Horrible.....
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Return to Pit Bull Talk