Coprophagia medicine

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby iluvk9 » November 8th, 2010, 4:57 pm

So, when winter arrives and the poop on the lawn is nice and cold, Darlene and Lenny have a field day. :puke:

I have read ALL about WHY and WHAT TO DO. :) But, nothing has really worked for me. I have a large backyard and even though I basically FOLLOW them around :rolleyes2: and scoop the poop, I miss some. Especially when they go out late at night.

So now, I am thinking of buying that powder that you give to the pooping dogs and the poop-eating dogs get turned off from the new scent.

My concern is ...is it a bad chemical compound of some sort for the dog that gets it added to their food? :|

I won't give it to Harleybird, as he has stomach issues, but no one ever wants to eat his presents left on the lawn. 8)

I would give it to Truman, Lenny and Darlene.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » November 8th, 2010, 6:45 pm

Joyce,
How do you train your dogs to eat 'poop'?
Our yard needs a good cleaning :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » November 8th, 2010, 8:09 pm

:neener:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » November 9th, 2010, 6:55 am

Okay...so has anyone GIVEN the powder/pills and had any side effects? :sad2:

It's getting cold here and I am going to have to stop kissing Darlene and Lenny. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » November 9th, 2010, 9:59 am

I've never used it because my guys thankfully don't have that issue, but while working at vets' offices, I'd heard from more than a few people that the powders like Forbid don't help. However, I have heard that meat tenderizer sprinkled on the dogs' food does work -- it's supposed to make their poo taste bitter. (Not sure I want to know how anyone discovered the poo tastes bitter. :shock: )
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » November 9th, 2010, 12:12 pm

Thanks, Jen. And I agree about how the decision was made that it makes it taste funky. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » November 9th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Pleased let me know if anything works for you, Joyce. Devil's cupcake does it too. :puke:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » November 9th, 2010, 6:02 pm

CinderDee wrote:Pleased let me know if anything works for you, Joyce. Devil's cupcake does it too. :puke:

Want to start a club?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » November 9th, 2010, 6:08 pm

I don't have this issue...but I do have a client (with a lab) that used the Forbid with good results.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » November 9th, 2010, 9:59 pm

I wish I had some advice.
Sidney does this as soon as it gets cold out. Luckily if I'm paying attention and call to her before she starts, she will leave it.... but it only works if I'm on my game. In the morning I don't pay as close attention. :oops:

Besides being gross, is it harmful (if it's your own, healthy dogs)?
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby iluvk9 » November 9th, 2010, 10:16 pm

From everything I have read, if it is your dog that is the "poopee" and you know you feed them well and they are healthy, it is really only the "gross factor" for you towards the "poop eater".

I am going to get "Forbid" and try that out. I will report back ASAP!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » November 9th, 2010, 10:34 pm

iluvk9 wrote:From everything I have read, if it is your dog that is the "poopee" and you know you feed them well and they are healthy, it is really only the "gross factor" for you towards the "poop eater".

I am going to get "Forbid" and try that out. I will report back ASAP!

Definitely let us know! We sell it at work... not sure if it works. I looked it up online, some reviews are good, some reviews are bad. :|
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby BigDogBuford » November 9th, 2010, 11:06 pm

In my experience dogs that are really determined crap eaters....well, there's not much you can do other than keeping it picked up and utilizing a basket muzzle when they're outside.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby CinderDee » November 10th, 2010, 3:47 am

iluvk9 wrote:
CinderDee wrote:Pleased let me know if anything works for you, Joyce. Devil's cupcake does it too. :puke:

Want to start a club?

Sure! What should we name it?

In my experience dogs that are really determined crap eaters....well, there's not much you can do other than keeping it picked up and utilizing a basket muzzle when they're outside.

That describes Zuzu to a tee. She's so gross. :nono:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » November 10th, 2010, 7:03 am

CinderDee wrote:Sure! What should we name it?

CEA....Crap Eaters Anonymous
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amalie79 » November 10th, 2010, 11:26 am

I like to try natural remedies first; if they don't work, then I go to the chemicals.

I've heard that apple cider vinegar-- the unfiltered (unpasteurized?) kind that still has some active bits in it-- added to food can help. I think this has to do with affecting the ph level. I've also heard that adding a pro/pre biotic or digestive enzymes to their food can help quell the urge to splurge. I don't like using Fortiflora for long periods (it's expensive and full of crappy stuff). We've switched to In Clover's digestive enzymes for other reasons and it seems to be tolerated by all. I give it to my pups to keep everything solid and to help with bad breath, though come to think of it, there's been a lot less time spent at the snack bar (cat box) lately. That may very well have something to do with it.

Who knows. Nasty beasts.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » November 10th, 2010, 11:41 am

With Beaumont and Alfred I tried meat tenderizer, pineapple, Forbid, probiotics, apple cider vinegar and swinging a dead cat by it's tail at midnight. Nothing worked other than keeping them away from it. I ended up utilizing a tether. I was able to keep the tether area cleaned up no problem so they lost free run of the yard because of their nasty habits. :crazy2:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby iluvk9 » November 10th, 2010, 12:24 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:...swinging a dead cat by it's tail at midnight.....

LMAO
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BigDogBuford » November 10th, 2010, 12:44 pm

So that was sarcastic but if I'd thought it would actually help I might have done it. Ewww, just eww. Nothing worse than poop vomit.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby CinderDee » November 11th, 2010, 3:04 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:So that was sarcastic but if I'd thought it would actually help I might have done it. Ewww, just eww. Nothing worse than poop vomit.

Ewwwwwwww! Don't even say that. Ugh.. :puke:

CEA sounds good to me Joyce. My name wouldn't have been that polite. lol
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health