Has anyone gone on a cruise?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby mnp13 » November 8th, 2010, 11:13 pm

Any advice? Companies to avoid, to seek out? Horror stories, great stories? Please share!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » November 9th, 2010, 6:48 am

I can't wait to see the responses! :) DIL's family and I are planning on taking one!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » November 9th, 2010, 9:06 am

Situation grim for passengers on fire-damaged Carnival cruise ship
http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post ... t/130420/1
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » November 9th, 2010, 9:56 am

Pit♥Bull wrote:Situation grim for passengers on fire-damaged Carnival cruise ship
http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post ... t/130420/1

:giggle:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Ino » November 9th, 2010, 10:57 am

I've always heard good things about the disney cruise ships (even for adults). Where are you looking to leave from and go to? I have a friend who works at port canaveral (FL) unloading passangers baggage and greeting customers. I can find out which cruiseline that operates out of that port gets the best reviews from him. I know carnival, disney, and royal carribbean ships go out of there- I'll ask him about those 3.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » November 9th, 2010, 12:15 pm

I saw this great show about the behind the scene on cruise ships. Amazing stuff with the amount of food they bring, the laundry they do, etc.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby PetieMarie22 » November 9th, 2010, 12:17 pm

I get motion sickness VERY easily. I've been scared to do one! I'd hate to pay all that money and then barf the whole time!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » November 9th, 2010, 12:36 pm

Supposedly the boats are so big that you can't really feel them moving.

Ino, we're not sure. A few cruise lines have law enforcement discounts - some up to 60%!! - so it will likely be one of them. Celebrity, Holland America, MSC and Royal Caribbean are the ones I have found so far.

Pre Michelle-is-not-working we wanted to go to Alaska, but the airline tickets are over $500 to get to where we would be leaving from. The advantage to a cruise is once you get on it, you don't have to pay for other things (as I understand it?) except alcohol and things you want to buy so it seems like a much more effective use of the money. Though frankly, if I'm still not working by the time the wedding comes up, we'll likely be skipping the honeymoon until a future date.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TinaMartin » November 9th, 2010, 1:29 pm

PetieMarie22 wrote:I get motion sickness VERY easily. I've been scared to do one! I'd hate to pay all that money and then barf the whole time!

My best friend is like that. She did a cruise with no problem.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » November 9th, 2010, 2:08 pm

Horrific experience with Carnival a few years back.

I've heard great things about Royal Carribian and Disney from friends.
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » November 9th, 2010, 3:55 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I saw this great show about the behind the scene on cruise ships. Amazing stuff with the amount of food they bring, the laundry they do, etc.

I saw that too...it was really cool!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » November 9th, 2010, 6:06 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:
iluvk9 wrote:I saw this great show about the behind the scene on cruise ships. Amazing stuff with the amount of food they bring, the laundry they do, etc.

I saw that too...it was really cool!

I didn't know a large portion of their profit was from soda, drinks and their cut of the small trips when you get to places.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » November 9th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Years ago.... I took a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas on the cruise line "The Big Red Boat". ( In 2000 Disney Cruises took over the company and the boats got bigger.) Nothing big about it compared to the other ships that we docked with. We looked like the tug boat but it was SPECTACULAR. It was a Blues Music cruise on Halloween weekend.

So many performers (Kenny Wayne Shephard) were there. It was geared to the people who loved to stay up all night and listen to music. It was Awsome. Even though it was a smaller boat we were treated just the same as you would be on a larger boat. Loved my little guy who came in and cleaned up the room everyday. Wanted to bring him home. The wine guy was my best friend. (forgot what they are called) I don't care where I was on that boat it seemed my drink guy was waiting 2 steps away everytime my drink got low.

We didn't splurge on a room because we knew we would never be in it :dance: Too busy partying. Remember, I said this was years ago, so I had the stamina then. :wink:

You signed up for whatever excursion you wanted to take during the day and if you didn't want to you could just lay on the deck and relax.

My Mom and Dad have taken several curises on http://www.princess.com/. I don't know how fancy you want to go but this is the top of the line. Too fancy for me. There favorite so far has been Alaska. They have been twice. The Hawaiin cruise was nice once you got there but Mama said it was too many days out at Sea. They went to Mexico and said that was nice but not their cup of tea. They are not the party animals that enjoy the activities on the ship so they got the huge room. They loved to relax on the balcony and enjoy their quiet time.

Their food was the best they have ever tasted and the amenaties were to die for.

That is my only experience with cruises.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pitsnok » November 9th, 2010, 8:48 pm

I get motion sickness really easily and never got sick on my cruise. ALTHOUGH I did have vertigo for a few days after getting back to land.
We went on a 5 day Carnival cruise from Tampa to Grand Caymen, and Cozumel. It was really a great time. I think Carnival is a little more 'party' centered...but then again it was spring break when we went so there were a lot of college kids. They have some really good deals though. It's my understanding they are the least expensive. And it wasn't like... super luxury, which is something I actually liked about it. I wouldn't have enjoyed myself in a stuffy, fancy environment. There is lots of provided entertainment, and organized outings for when you dock. I had been to Cozumel before so we ventured on our own rather than doing a group thing. I'm much more into the local environment of a place rather than the tourist-y areas.
The downside is that alcohol is extra, but if you don't drink it's a SUPER cheap vacation.
I don't remember which lines they took, but my Grandparents went on an Alaskan cruise a couple of years ago and absolutely LOVED it. Also, my little sister went with a friend when she was like...14, and she loved it too.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » November 13th, 2010, 1:02 pm

Hated carnival and swore I'd never do it again...

Norwegian was fantabulous!!!! Absolutely worth it!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby BigDogBuford » November 13th, 2010, 3:03 pm

We did a Royal Caribbean cruise a while back. It was ok. There was still some big expenses including booze and tipping.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby iluvk9 » November 13th, 2010, 3:56 pm

My kids went on a Carnival cruise for their honeymoon and loved it. They went on another Carnival cruise a few months later, and didn't like it. I am thinking it has a lot to do with the crew, the destinations and if you meet up with some other nice travelers. And of course, if you don't go one that loses power and you have to be towed back. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » November 14th, 2010, 6:13 pm

Michelle, this was just posted in our newspaper:

2010 cruising awards from CruiseCritic.com

Sure, it's subjective - but opinions carry a lot of weight in the travel industry. Editors at the world's largest cruise review site, CruiseCritic.com, just made their picks for the best ships and lines at sea in 2010. Among the notables:

BEST FOR EVENING ENTERTAINMENT

Norwegian's new Epic, which editors praised for its "nonstop" Las Vegas-style nightlife scene, which includes dueling piano shows, Blue Man Group performances and a Cirque acrobatics show.

BEST SHORE EXCURSIONS

Disney Cruise Line, for its offerings, from cooking classes in Tuscany to attending a Royal Ball with princesses in St. Petersburg.

BEST ITINERARIES

Crystal Cruises - ships meander on thoughtful itineraries that mix major ports of call (Hong Kong, Sydney or San Francisco) with unexpected destinations (Myanmar, Ghana, Mauritius).

BEST MAIN DINING ROOMS

Princess Cruises, where travelers who don't want to pay a cover charge for a specialty restaurant can still find "daring fare balanced with comfort offerings."

BEST NEW SHIP

Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas. The world's largest cruise ship has innovations that include an onboard zip line, carousel and foliage-trimmed park at sea.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby StalkerBlueDog » January 17th, 2011, 12:53 pm

We did a royal carribian 4 night to the bahamas for our honeymoon. It was a blast. would do one again in a heart beat. Lots to do. Two shore trips to islands. All you could eat. Fancy sit down dinners if you wanted or a buffet any other time. If you can swing it get a junior suite with a balcony. Way worth the money to have a bit extra room and a balcony.
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
"DAWN" U-CH Canami's Age of Aquarius CD RE AX OAJ NF CGC/TDI (1/3 AXJ, 1/5 U-GRCH, MACH pt'd)
"KAYLEE" U-CH Canami's Protector of Serenity (AKC major Pt'd)
"LEIA" Sorella's Rebel Princess (UKC pt'd)
"LUKE"Canami Sorella's A New Hope RN
StalkerBlueDog
My dog can kick your sheep's ass

Postby DemoDick » January 17th, 2011, 8:16 pm

I'd be up for a Somalian pirate cruise as long as I can man the deck gun.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Next

Return to Off-Topic