Sinonasal Carcinoma

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby mnp13 » November 6th, 2010, 1:50 am

plebayo wrote:She seems to be in good spirits regardless. Tonight we left work and when I let her out of the kennel she was racing around and play bowing and acting like a total dork. I want to remember these moments because when she does things like that, that is when she's really being herself. Thanks for the good thoughts. :hug3:

That's what we're here for... to help you remember these things, not the not-happy things.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » November 6th, 2010, 6:38 am

Suzanne, look at the big picture for a moment: Sophie has been blessed with having you. :smileUp: You have been doing everything imaginable to keep her in good health and good spirits. Not all dogs would have had this type of life or chance to live to 14 PLUS. :) Every day is a miracle and she is enjoying them, all because of you.

I know it is difficult at times; but be a dog, and live in the moment, just like Miss Sophie Pants.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 6th, 2010, 7:56 am

I agree. She's obviously still enjoying her life so let her do so. She doesn't know she has cancer. Let her live a great life until whenever she tells you it's time to go. And you know when that happens we'll all be crying with you and for you. But until then, let her live and be a dog. :hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » November 8th, 2010, 12:13 am

The sneezing seems to have settled down a little. I've finally been given the go-ahead to put Sofie on an appetite stimulant, she's only getting .5 mirtazapine every 4-5 days. She's still getting famotidine[pepcid] for gut upset. So far it hasn't helped her appetite. She has refused breakfast the last 3 mornings, she will eat the cat's food at my parents, and has no problems eating people food. I'm going to see about getting some chicken and maybe some junk food to see if I can get her back on the breakfast wagon. She has been eating dinner pretty well. I gave her subq fluids tonight and she flinched/yelped when I poked her which isn't really like her. Otherwise she seems to be doing alright. In theory I know she isn't feeling as well as normal. She isn't a total chow hound like my other two, but she never passes up her food.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » November 8th, 2010, 7:00 am

Harleybird is on that appetite stimulant, too. I found he needs half a pill, once a day to keep him interested in food. He is about 75 pounds, so you can judge what Sophie might need. I also give it to him at night, as a Psychiatrist friend said kids often do better with mirtazapine (sp?) at bedtime.

Since mirtazapine is an anti-depressant, I found him to be VERY silly and fiesty with the others! Like he is a puppy again. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » November 8th, 2010, 3:25 pm

I'm not sure why we're not giving it everyday, I can't remember what the dr told me... I was going to give it to her again today [3 days out] but she refused her breakfast, even with tuna fish in it. [she'll eat the cat's fishy food no problem!] I know I sound like a pansy not wanting to pill her but she bit me when I tried to shove a comfortis down her throat. I know she'll eat tonight, at least, I hope she eats tonight and I will give her another one.

I've heard it does make them act a little goofy/hyper. We'll see.

I had to get grain for my horse and I bought her a can of Solid Gold Green Tripe. She wouldn't touch it. I offered her some cooked chicken my mom had in her fridge and she ate that. I think after I go out to the barn today to get my horse's feet done I'll swing by the grocery store for some chicken. The whole not eating thing is really disheartening.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » November 8th, 2010, 5:02 pm

plebayo wrote: The whole not eating thing is really disheartening.

I feel your anguish and I am still over-obnoxious about Harleybird eating! :hug3: I chose to cancel two vacations and one hot date because his appetite was crummy.

Harley HATES when I stick the pill down his throat. If I don't get it all the way back, he manipulates it with his tongue and spits it out. They cost me $60. for 30, so I often want to take it myself. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » November 8th, 2010, 5:58 pm

Sending good thoughts for you guys.
It's really tough when they won't eat. You feel like you just want to beg them and then try everything you can.
I totally understand about not wanting to pill her too. Thankfully Jaz never made me pill her. I wasn't afraid of her biting me, but just the thought of having to do it broke me up. She had so many pills to take too. Luckily I was always able to give them to her in peanut butter. I did have to shove the goop into her mouth sometimes, but then she'd take it.
Jasmine liked the Mighty Dog shredded beef canned and I would also get her to eat leftover beef stew and barbecued pork.
Good luck.
Lots of love and hugs for you both.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby iluvk9 » November 8th, 2010, 6:24 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:Jasmine liked the Mighty Dog shredded beef canned

Apparently when you are a dog who isn't feeling well, Mighty Dog rocks. :rock:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » November 8th, 2010, 8:16 pm

iluvk9 wrote: I feel your anguish and I am still over-obnoxious about Harleybird eating! :hug3: I chose to cancel two vacations and one hot date because his appetite was crummy.

Harley HATES when I stick the pill down his throat. If I don't get it all the way back, he manipulates it with his tongue and spits it out. They cost me $60. for 30, so I often want to take it myself. 8)

Wow you had to pass up a hot date? Dang! :neener:

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:Sending good thoughts for you guys.
It's really tough when they won't eat. You feel like you just want to beg them and then try everything you can.
I totally understand about not wanting to pill her too. Thankfully Jaz never made me pill her. I wasn't afraid of her biting me, but just the thought of having to do it broke me up. She had so many pills to take too. Luckily I was always able to give them to her in peanut butter. I did have to shove the goop into her mouth sometimes, but then she'd take it.
Jasmine liked the Mighty Dog shredded beef canned and I would also get her to eat leftover beef stew and barbecued pork.
Good luck.
Lots of love and hugs for you both.

iluvk9 wrote:Apparently when you are a dog who isn't feeling well, Mighty Dog rocks. :rock:

This is really where I'm at right now. I just want her to eat! I know if she's eating things are at least okay. I don't have a lot of food at my house [I'm sooo broke right now it isn't funny.] I hadn't thought of the peanut butter thing, she's eaten pb in the past, I'll try that tonight for sure 'cause I do have some of that.

I will also see about getting some mighty dog. My mom was awesome and got me a whole chicken to cook up for Sofie, she eagerly ate the guts I pulled out of it, which is promising. Thanks very much for the support you guys :hug3:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby plebayo » November 8th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Well, I got the mirtazapine in her. She did not like the peanut butter idea :/ so shoved a pb covered pill into her mouth and I think she swallowed it. I hope she swallowed it.

My mom helped me boil the chicken and she ate the chicken and the rest of the tripe that she did not eat today. I hope the mirtazapine helps her appetite.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » November 9th, 2010, 6:59 am

From what I know from children taking the mirtazapine, and I have seen with Harl, it has to build in their system. So you will need to be consistent and give it regularly. It usually a few days to a week to "kick in". And like other medicines, you can't just stop it mid-stream. You have to wean them off it.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » November 9th, 2010, 7:35 am

iluvk9 wrote:From what I know from children taking the mirtazapine, and I have seen with Harl, it has to build in their system. So you will need to be consistent and give it regularly. It usually a few days to a week to "kick in". And like other medicines, you can't just stop it mid-stream. You have to wean them off it.

Do you think I should ask about giving it more often? Do you think it would be effective giving it ever 4-5 days? Like I said I can't remember why he said we're doing it this way... every time we script it out for clients they give it everyday. :|
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Marinepits » November 9th, 2010, 10:05 am

plebayo wrote:She did not like the peanut butter idea

Try using either cream cheese or Gerber baby food -- they make a plain meat (beef, chicken, or turkey) food that hides pills very well, LOL. You can get a jar for about seventy-five cents, and it will last about a week depending on how many pills you have to give her.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby plebayo » November 9th, 2010, 10:55 am

Marinepits wrote:Try using either cream cheese or Gerber baby food -- they make a plain meat (beef, chicken, or turkey) food that hides pills very well, LOL. You can get a jar for about seventy-five cents, and it will last about a week depending on how many pills you have to give her.

Oooo baby food is a good idea! I didn't even think about that, when she was getting picky before I offered her some at work and she was all over it. Thanks for the tip!

She ALMOST refused the chicken this morning but I coaxed her into eating it. Maybe she thought it was just crappy dog food, but she ate this morning. Yay!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » November 9th, 2010, 12:10 pm

plebayo wrote:Do you think I should ask about giving it more often? Do you think it would be effective giving it ever 4-5 days? Like I said I can't remember why he said we're doing it this way... every time we script it out for clients they give it everyday. :|

Suzanne, again from what I know about humans taking it as an antidepressant and it's side effect being increased appetite, I would say, yes, a consistent dose needs to be given consistently. It's not like pepcid, which helps at the moment it is needed. It is not an "appetite increaser"...just the side effects are.

My Vet wanted to try Harley on a decreased dosage, and after 4 days, the effects of a lower amount would kick in. (As in, his appetite started to get crummy again.)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » November 9th, 2010, 10:11 pm

How's Miss Sofie feeling?
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby CinderDee » November 10th, 2010, 3:54 am

I used baby food for Kato when he wasn't eating and it worked really well. I would give it a try.

I hope she starts eating better soon. :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby plebayo » November 10th, 2010, 10:59 am

Sofie refused to eat most of the day yesterday. She refused baby food, mighty dog, and her favorite duck jerky. We went over to my parents in the evening and I got out some bacon that they had. She hesitantly ate a couple of raw pieces. When we got home I got her to eat about a cup and a half of chicken. She seemed to be pretty mopey most of the day yesterday.

This AM she did drink some water but totally refused food entirely.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » November 10th, 2010, 11:30 am

:hug3:
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer