5 years old - magic age?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 6th, 2010, 9:00 am

One of my friends likes to remind me of the times I called her crying, begging to know when Inara would find her brain again. This happened a lot when she was about 6-9 months old. She always told me that when Inara turned 2, her brain would reappear and she'd settle down. I actually heard that a lot. Didn't happen.

After Inara turned 2 and her brain hadn't been located yet, people would tell me, "oh no! THREE is the magic age! Once she turns three she'll be fully mature and you'll be golden." Didn't happen.

People really didn't say a whole lot about 4. I think they were afraid to lie to me again. :wink:

Well, I have decided that for Inara, FIVE is the magic age. She turned five on October 22. Since then, she has seen my mother and stepfather (she adores both of them) and not jumped on them. She has been loved on by children without jumping on them. She has been taken care of by the dogwalker (who she jumped on before!) without jumping on her. Nothing has changed in her life except another birthday, but this, THIS was the magic birthday. She has interacted with a bunch of people and jumped twice. Two times. Out of dozens of interactions.

So for those of you who have lost hope of your dog's brain ever being located, have hope that perhaps at age five it will have a spontaneous recovery! :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » November 6th, 2010, 9:20 am

Yea for your Inara! She's done so well this past year...I don't think it's the magic age, I think it's her amazing mom!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Hoyden » November 6th, 2010, 12:56 pm

LOL! I really really had to laugh at this post.

Petey never located his brain. He was puppy stupid and hyper until the cancer knocked it out of him. We thought he was finally mellowing out at almost 10 years old.

Birdie grew a brain around 2.5 - 3 years old.

People think I'm nuts when I tell them I am getting a puppy next year to start training as a service dog. Why so soon, Birdie isn't that old, they ask. I tell them it takes at LEAST 2.5, sometimes 3 years or more for this breed to grow a brain.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Malli » November 6th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Oscar got his about 4 or 5. I think 6-8 yrs is the best age :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby airwalk » November 6th, 2010, 11:18 pm

Well I'm hoping Magic finds his before his 10th year...and Doogie .. well I'll just be glad if he finds his brains at all.
airwalk
I live here

Postby SLS61185 » November 7th, 2010, 12:28 am

Everyone kept telling us that once Patch got fixed then he'd calm down - this was at 7 months. It never happened. Then when we had all the snow last year and this, he calmed down a little.

He turned three on Thusday and his still comes and goes. It's like... He starts behaving and doing what he's supposed to then he's got a change of heart or something... and starts to be bad all the time. (I know his main problem is because he doesn't get any human interaction besides with Mike or myself.)
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » November 7th, 2010, 7:45 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:
So for those of you who have lost hope of your dog's brain ever being located, have hope that perhaps at age five it will have a spontaneous recovery! :)

Truman just turned 7. He must have missed the memo when he was 5.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » November 7th, 2010, 9:13 am

iluvk9 wrote:
Truman just turned 7. He must have missed the memo when he was 5.
Truman got the memo, but he thought it said brawn... :P
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Ino » November 7th, 2010, 9:14 am

Yay- for Inara...sounds like she has really come a long way behavior wise!!! I am waiting for Ino to hit his age (he's 2 1/2). He is pretty mellow indoors (aside from short bursts of kitty chasing energy or cuz play), and training is much easier inside- but outside on our walks....forget it!! He loses focus very easy if he has any at all when we start out. He knows he is not supposed to pull- but figures if he doesn't look at me, all is well. At most, I will make him sit/stay until I am even with him (he sits a lot on walks due to pulling so he can re-gain his brain). Forget it if we see a cat, lizard, bird or squirrel (which many people here enjoy feeding). Kitties he just wants to go play with- but the rest...nope!!
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby call2arms » November 7th, 2010, 1:30 pm

5 is magical. Welcome to pit bull adulthood? For some at least.

Jack grew a brain at 5 as well. It's been magical ever since. No more puppy shenanigans, it's like he turned automatically into a loving couch potato that actually sits still enough to enjoy being petted, plus he can sit on the same sidewalk as someone walking by with 2 calm dogs on leash. Love it.

Turning 9 in mid-february though, that's a really scary. He'll be a senior citizen! But I told him he's not allowed to die, he better listen.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby furever_pit » November 7th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Yay for Inara finding her brain!!
I bet a lot of it has to do with all the work you have put into her recently. :wink:
You two are a fabulous team.

Dylan calmed down around 3.5-4 years of age. It's nice but I still kinda miss the crazy times I had with him.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby tiva » November 8th, 2010, 3:18 pm

Tiva's 15. Any year now, she'll calm down. That's what I keep telling myself!

When we rescued her at age 8, I thought: "ah, she's an old girl, no point in worrying too much about her annoying behaviors". What a nitwit I was. 7 years later, we're still saying at 4 in the morning when she's demanding attention: "ah, she's an old girl, no point in worrying about her annoying behaviors..."
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby madremissy » November 8th, 2010, 8:35 pm

airwalk wrote:Well I'm hoping Magic finds his before his 10th year...and Doogie .. well I'll just be glad if he finds his brains at all.

Kinzyl hasn't reached 5 yet and Sammy is in the same boat as Doogie. He is 8!!!!!
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » November 8th, 2010, 11:43 pm

Score's been chill from Day 1, same as Xander...old souls. Bean's just a grumpy old man...play? What does that mean?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » November 17th, 2010, 1:09 am

TheRedQueen wrote:Score's been chill from Day 1, same as Xander...old souls.

Same with Ruby. Riggs is an ass, but never really been hyper. Connor is just energetic, I don't know if "hyper" is the right word for him.

I'm glad she's doing so well for you!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Training & Behavior