just dropped Connor off

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » October 30th, 2010, 8:23 pm

I cover him up with a blanket to try to keep him warmer while I ice him, it seems to help a little. I think the shaking is from pain and stress more than cold, but when you are in a lot of pain in and under stress your body has a "shock" reaction, so I figure the blanket can't hurt.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby hugapitbull » October 30th, 2010, 8:33 pm

I hope it gets easier for you guys (and Connor) soon. I know the stress must be high level. Sending good thoughts for all of you.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » October 30th, 2010, 10:44 pm

Thanks, everything about this is stressful right now.

We have linoleum and hardwood floors, which adds a lot to the slip factor in the house. I carry him around, but the vet said we do need to let him walk even the limited amount from the crate to the door. I put a carpet infront of his crate, and we have some in front of the door, but I need to go find some remnants somewhere to bridge the gap; he wiped out yesterday while I was standing next to him; even when we're being very careful he manages to do stuff.

I did switch out his bedding so he now has two inch thick foam instead of a cushion. It made a huge difference from the moment he went in his crate. Diana, I took your advice and got a foam mattress pad and two layers interlocked made a firm but (hopefully) comfortable bed. He went in the crate and moved around much easier the moment he stepped in, so that was very nice to see. JoAnn Fabrics has really nice high density foam, but at almost $50 a yard, I'm going to be waiting until I have a good coupon! He did start digging at it so he doesn't like it as much as the big fluffy pillow, but I worry more about him moving around with some stability.

It's really scary to see him like this and know that if I screw up we'll have to start over again. But we're doing our best...

My neighbor has a little fluffy-something that was limping around today and we were talking about Connor's surgery. She is holding her leg and (not)-walking the exact same way he was. He asked about Connor's surgery, and I told him about it. At some point I said "by the end of it all, we're going to end up between 5 and 6." He said "I'd never do that, for $400 I can get a new dog." All I said was "That's not 5 or 6 hundred." His eyes about fell out of his head they got so big. I guess since Connor was free we should have just "replaced" him rather then spend the money? I just don't understand that mentality.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby call2arms » October 30th, 2010, 11:35 pm

Nicd to see he has an easier time with the firmer bed. Probably more stable for him when he tries to lay down. He does need to start using that one leg slowly and gently, so crate to door is a good start.

Can you get him some anti-slip booties? Perhaps modify booties you already have by adding something grippy under the sole would help him to avoid slipping. Or, get a sling or make one out of a towel to support him a bit.

People with that attitude just shouldn't own animals. Your kid's sick, heck you can MAKE another one for free, just give that one up! (plus his little fluffy probably just has luxating patellas anyway)
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby mnp13 » October 31st, 2010, 12:10 am

it's definitely partially the floor, but he wiped out yesterday just standing there - he's so stoned on the drugs that he seems ok but then *thump*. So I carry him if he seems at all unstable now.

I think the booties would be more of a problem. I couldn't leave them on him in the crate, and getting them off and on every time he comes out would be difficult especially the back leg.

I think the best right now is carpet runners, I'll just stop at one of the carpet stores and see what they have in their throw out section. We'll only use it for the next two months and my cats destroy carpet, so even if it's lime green shag it will work! (but I hope not!)
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » October 31st, 2010, 3:01 am

Are you slinging him? You can use the sling (a thin long towel works well) as a stabilizer for him, let it be loose but just a bit so that if he slips it will catch him.

I definitely agree with the extra carpet. Where you can't be pretty (I'd say 100% but thats never really possible with something that has his own thoughts) certain he's safe from slipping I'd sling or carry him. It IS good to get him walking, but its good to be safe, too.

The dogs that I saw that reinjured were fat WINGNUTS - hyper, out of control, leash pullers - think big stupid lab. Connor is not a wingnut, so you guys have that to your advantage for sure.

Are you icing with something flexible? Like gel, or peas? And are you using a towel over it? These things may help if you aren't already doing them. The shaking might be anticipation, too. When I clip Oscar's nails he shakes, and I have quicked him, but not often at all - I know I'm not hurting him because he'll pull back if it hurts, but he is afraid. It may be something like that. This from the dog that hurls himself into cold water, regularly gives himself small cuts, and broke off his own teeth on a can of dog food :rolleyes2:

Anyway, I know its tough, but you all hang in there, I'm sure you'll all be successful with this. They tell you that the recovery can be screwed up, but mainly that applies to people that do not use their common sense with the recovery and/or allow their dog to run around "willy nilly" too soon after the surgery. Its like all the warnings and laws we have for stupid people.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » October 31st, 2010, 6:09 am

We used a towel sling for Trouble, but it is a bit awkward, and our towels just weren't long enough. The other recommendation I've seen is a cloth shopping bag slit down the sides - it gives you handles. I'm thinking I ditched the towel for a long sleeve shirt. You can roll and fold to get the sling the way you want it and use the arms for holding.

We have tile hallways and kitchen, so we had the same problem with slipping. The carpet is a good investment. I would definitely go with the remnants since you won't be needing them long term. We finally put down carpet runner. It isn't pretty, but it's functional.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » October 31st, 2010, 6:59 am

I went through four knees/two dogs. I am still confused as to why the drugs are still in his system and making him dopey. I gave pain meds to both dogs the next day as the Vet administered ones wore off. They were able to get up from their beds and gingerly walk on 3 legs.

Louie (85 # Lab) limped out of the Vets office, holding his leg up. Darlene...my fault...she limped out of Vets. but I carried her for two days and Vet was NOT happy with me. Had me bring her in...put her down, and he called her to him. She put some weight on leg and limped to him.

My point being, Conner is an athlete. My dogs are not. I am still confused WHY he isn't doing better by now. Darlene even had both mensicus' replaced/repaired. What has your Vet said about this? Can you bring him in for him/her to see?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » October 31st, 2010, 11:47 am

iluvk9 wrote:I went through four knees/two dogs. I am still confused as to why the drugs are still in his system and making him dopey.

we are drugging him to keep him calm, he's on Ace (which makes him stoned) and one of his pain pills is opiate based which adds to the effect.

My point being, Conner is an athlete. My dogs are not. I am still confused WHY he isn't doing better by now. Darlene even had both mensicus' replaced/repaired. What has your Vet said about this? Can you bring him in for him/her to see?

that's why we're keeping him doped, this morning he saw a toy on the floor and dove for it. :doh: (no, didn't fall or bang his leg) It's just a different set of problems; we keep him doped so he's calm, but then's very unsteady when he's out of the crate.

Thanks. :)
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby airwalk » October 31st, 2010, 7:19 pm

Glad the firmer bed is helping, yep it's something we had to learn the hard way. Now they've all gotten used to the latex foam and actually choose it over the fluffy ones. Silly dogs.

I used a belly sling on Doogs for a bit. Only when he appeared unstable and going up and down linoleum and my hardwoods. I didn't want him to feel slippy and suddenly slam the leg down to steady himself. Once outside and/or on carpet, sling came off and we walked slowly.
airwalk
I live here

Postby AllAmericanPUP » October 31st, 2010, 7:22 pm

i miss so much these days! Hope he recovers quickly :groupHug: give him a kiss for me
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby HappyPuppy » November 3rd, 2010, 1:10 pm

Whew - I go away for a few days and miss all kind of stuff!! I'm glad the surgery went well and hope that this is 'it' ! Feel better soon little red tornado!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » November 3rd, 2010, 5:52 pm

How is he doing now, Michelle?
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » November 5th, 2010, 4:20 pm

He's better. Got his staples out yesterday. We're now walking one block two or three times a day. He gets heat, then massage, then ice after each walk. He still shakes, I think it's just him being upset about anticipating pain, but it's getting a lot less.

During heat a few minutes ago:

I have to walk him on a prong now, it's the only way to keep him from pulling. I can't heel him because he attention heels and that affects his gait... and I can't use food or toys to work on him walking correctly because that makes him jump. So back to the power steering, which I actually don't have to use because once it's on he walks just like he's supposed to. :)
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby hugapitbull » November 5th, 2010, 6:02 pm

Glad it is getting better. It is so stressful when they aren't well. Cute pic!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » November 5th, 2010, 6:41 pm

I actually made a great ice pack as well, the vet recommended bagging rubbing alcohol and freezing it making a very soft and flexible ice pack that stays very cold. We did it with ziplocs first, but they cracked and leaked all over. So I made a new one with my FoodSaver - it's leak proof and made for freezing. I'm going to make a cover for it as well.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » November 5th, 2010, 8:13 pm

Love the ball in the mouth. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » November 5th, 2010, 8:34 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Love the ball in the mouth. 8)

He kept switching Cuz toys :rolleyes2: He'd spit out the blue one and then want the green one, then spit that one out and go for the blue one again... all while laying on his back.

Of course, these are all the ones that he has chewed the rear end out of lol Poor Riggs... Connor ruins all of his noise makers. :nono:
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » November 5th, 2010, 11:21 pm

sounds like he is doing super :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » November 6th, 2010, 1:10 am

mnp13 wrote: So I made a new one with my FoodSaver - it's leak proof and made for freezing. I'm going to make a cover for it as well.

Pfffft... some of us with a tibia plateau fracture/injury have to make due with a bag of frozen peas. :rolleyes2: :nono: :bs: :sad2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health