just dropped Connor off

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Malli » October 29th, 2010, 2:46 pm

Well, (and I'm not trying to argue, just saying what I know) he may be uncomfortable, but appetite is supposed to be a huge indicator of discomfort, so its good that he's eating.

I noticed frequently that dogs with knee surgery had trouble laying down, I think it might be because the skin in the area is so tight, so there is a bit of pressure, so they want to keep it straight instead.

Is he still whiney?

if you can convince him to let a soft blanket be lightly packed in and sit in between his back legs when he's lying down, he might feel better too.

Has he figured out how to pee?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » October 29th, 2010, 2:53 pm

DemoDick wrote:Yeah, his appetite is good. He's obviously in pain, but he's dealing with it. The hardest thing for him seems to be figuring out a way to lay down with only one back leg in use.

Demo Dick

Gah... I know exactly how he feels. :cry:
Maybe he and I can hang out and commiserate - I'll bring some bully sticks, and I'm willing to share my wicked strong pain meds w/him as well. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby call2arms » October 29th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Poor Connor... The fact that he is eating is indeed a good sign. If you feel like he's still too painful, ask for Gabapentin (the post-knee sx trio around here is Tramadol, Gabapentin and Deramaxx). You can also elevate his bowls, not sure if it makes a difference, but maybe the lack of neck/back stretching aldo eases on knee muscle pull?

For icing, you can do it as he lays down (with his good leg to the floor) - put that blanket between his legs, and add the ice (lightly wrapped up in the blanket too) in the knee area, and leave it for 5-10 minutes.

Oh, I wish there was a magic knee-repair wand we could se instead of making them go through all that circus.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby DemoDick » October 29th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Malli wrote:Well, (and I'm not trying to argue, just saying what I know) he may be uncomfortable, but appetite is supposed to be a huge indicator of discomfort, so its good that he's eating.

I noticed frequently that dogs with knee surgery had trouble laying down, I think it might be because the skin in the area is so tight, so there is a bit of pressure, so they want to keep it straight instead.

I think it may have more to do with the fact that we are asking a quadriped to suddenly figure out how to adapt to movement as a triped or experience considerable pain when he puts the bad foot down.

Is he still whiney?

No, he's quieted down.

if you can convince him to let a soft blanket be lightly packed in and sit in between his back legs when he's lying down, he might feel better too.

Has he figured out how to pee?

Oh, yeah, no issues with that.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby airwalk » October 29th, 2010, 4:02 pm

One of the things we found with Doogie with his FHO..was that soft beds were harder for him to get comfortable in and get up out of than a more firm bed. I went and bought one of those latex foam mattress toppers and cut it down to a dog bed size. He seem to be able to settle on it better and get up and down easier. I think it offered more support.
airwalk
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » October 29th, 2010, 4:04 pm

:( Uggghhh. I hate seeing my dogs in pain. Darlene had a hard time getting up and down with her first knee surgery. That is why I carried my 60 pound piglet until she was able to maneuver herself. Her second knee was a breeze, compared, because she had a GOOD one to stand on. I also put a pillow between her legs, like Mallika suggested.

Poor Connor. :sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » October 29th, 2010, 4:59 pm

Malli wrote:Well, (and I'm not trying to argue, just saying what I know) he may be uncomfortable, but appetite is supposed to be a huge indicator of discomfort, so its good that he's eating.

No, we appreciate the input. Thank you.

He lays down in the front, but then doesn't seem to know how to manuver his back end to lay down. We'll try the pillow.

airwalk wrote:One of the things we found with Doogie with his FHO..was that soft beds were harder for him to get comfortable in and get up out of than a more firm bed. I went and bought one of those latex foam mattress toppers and cut it down to a dog bed size. He seem to be able to settle on it better and get up and down easier. I think it offered more support.

He's got a very puffy bed right now, I didn't think of that. I will get a topper when I'm out today. Thanks for the idea.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » October 29th, 2010, 5:29 pm

that or if you can get a firm baby crib mattress, that might work as well. since its baby stuff you can get fitted mattress sheets for them, too, so there is something washable.

If he'll let you help him lie down, (without touching the leg of course), then I don't see why you couldn't do that.

You might want to coordinate the Tramadol to 1/2 hr before he goes out to the bathroom, that way it will be at it's strongest, see if that helps with the shaking and the trouble laying down/getting up.

You'll be amazed at how fast he adapts and recoups to this. I'll bet in no time you'll wish you were back at this stage instead of the stage where he forgets he's hurt at all ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » October 29th, 2010, 8:21 pm

I bought a matteress pad, and will be making him a bed tonight.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DemoDick » October 29th, 2010, 8:40 pm

Malli wrote:You'll be amazed at how fast he adapts and recoups to this. I'll bet in no time you'll wish you were back at this stage instead of the stage where he forgets he's hurt at all ;)

He's a fast healer, but I'm pretty sure I'll be happy to have my little red tornado back. Keeping him under wraps before the surgery has been a real pain in the ass.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby Malli » October 29th, 2010, 9:59 pm

it is after too! :)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby CinderDee » October 29th, 2010, 10:24 pm

Just checking in to see how Connor is feeling. I'm sure you'll be happy when he's back to being himself. :goodthoughts:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » October 29th, 2010, 10:29 pm

Sending good thoughts for Connor. Must be so tough to see him like that. Best wishes for a quick recovery.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » October 30th, 2010, 4:12 pm

CinderDee wrote:Just checking in to see how Connor is feeling. I'm sure you'll be happy when he's back to being himself. :goodthoughts:

He's moving around a little better, but still not great yet. He shakes horribly when we ice him though.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby hugapitbull » October 30th, 2010, 4:46 pm

mnp13 wrote:He shakes horribly when we ice him though.

:shock: It's COLD! :shock:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby DemoDick » October 30th, 2010, 5:06 pm

CinderDee wrote:Just checking in to see how Connor is feeling. I'm sure you'll be happy when he's back to being himself. :goodthoughts:

He's doing pretty well. He's still uncomfortable but we're keeping him doped up and icing him every couple of hours. Honestly he seems to hate the coldness more than the pain of the surgery. He shivers after a few minutes of ice. Ice on the femoral artery is not pleasant.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby Pit♥bull » October 30th, 2010, 5:27 pm

DemoDick wrote:I think it may have more to do with the fact that we are asking a quadriped to suddenly figure out how to adapt to movement as a triped or experience considerable pain when he puts the bad foot down.
I think it may be the latter :(
Most amputees are able to motivate shortly after surgery, we didn't bring Trouble home until two days after surgery but our vet said she was up and walking within three hours, she walked out of the vets to the vehicle on her own power.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » October 30th, 2010, 5:48 pm

With amputation surgery, they seem to really begin to improve once they are able to be removed from the pain meds ~ 7 days. Some of the discomfort may be him trying to function while heavily medicated. Tramadol tends to make some of them see pink elephants. :elephant:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby DemoDick » October 30th, 2010, 6:02 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:
DemoDick wrote:I think it may have more to do with the fact that we are asking a quadriped to suddenly figure out how to adapt to movement as a triped or experience considerable pain when he puts the bad foot down.
I think it may be the latter :(
Most amputees are able to motivate shortly after surgery, we didn't bring Trouble home until two days after surgery but our vet said she was up and walking within three hours, she walked out of the vets to the vehicle on her own power.

Locomotion isn't the problem. He was trying to bear weight on it the day after surgery. It's figuring out the mechanics of how to lie down without bouncing with one rear leg out of the equation that causes the problem. That's why I think it's more to do with unfamiliarity than pain, though to be sure there's plenty of that going on too.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby ArtGypsy » October 30th, 2010, 8:08 pm

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I've read this entire thread and realized my left fist was grasping my leg. :shock:
It just hurts ME, for his/your hurting/worry.....

'get well soon, Conner-Be'Be'...
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health