just dropped Connor off

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Jenn » October 28th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Hope you can manage to keep yourself busy till then!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Ino » October 28th, 2010, 3:11 pm

Glad all went well for with Connor's surgery. Hope he has a healthy recovery.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » October 28th, 2010, 6:04 pm

He's home. The wound site is a mess, all bruised and ugly looking.

He has tremadol (up to six a day), Metacam (twice a day), Cephalax, (three a day) and Ace (one, twice a day)

We're going to be feeding bland for a while with plain yogurt, so that he doesn't get the runs from the antibiotics.

Staples are out next Thursday, follow up xrays are in 6 weeks.

He's all sorts of fussy and whiney, but we're going to just keep him drugged and hopefully keep the pain at bay.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby madremissy » October 28th, 2010, 6:17 pm

Sending many good, pain free and healing thoughts to Connor.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TinaMartin » October 28th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Sending lots of healing thoughts for Connor.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby hugapitbull » October 28th, 2010, 7:21 pm

Tons of good thoughts for an uneventful recovery.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » October 28th, 2010, 9:14 pm

We did our first icing a little while ago. It was hard. He's really drugged, so he's stumbling and not really able to walk. He let us ice him, but he was shaking badly and his eyes were somewhat sunken.

I feel so horrible for him.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » October 28th, 2010, 9:26 pm

:sad2: Poor Bebe'................
Sending Lots of warm thoughts for YOU ALL......
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Malli » October 28th, 2010, 11:05 pm

His fidgety whiney stuff is probably the pre-anesthetic drugs or the anesthetic itself, the affects can take some time to wear off. I don't think any of those meds you mentioned often make them whiney so once the drugs wear off. If you'd like if they list the meds in the bill then I can tell you how long this stage might last or give you some tips to help him.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pocketpit » October 28th, 2010, 11:49 pm

I agree with Malli, the whiney stuff is probably residual drugs from post op pain control. I've noticed that with our previous surgeon the drug combos he preferred in a CRI (constant rate infusion) drip caused the vast majority of the dogs to be whiney. They were dopped out of their minds but still noisy. It will wear off given some more time.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » October 28th, 2010, 11:55 pm

were you thinking Hydro, Dawn? Or maybe Ket/Hydro CRI?

I thought maybe he had Ketamine heebee geebies...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » October 29th, 2010, 12:03 am

They used isoflurane and telazol during the operation (yesterday.) He had metacam and butorphanol at the vet via his IV.

When we picked him up we gave him an Ace (25mg) then a few hours later with dinner he got metacam, 100 mg tramadol, and 1000 mg cephalex

We plan to keep him heavily sedated for the first week, but do dogs build up a tolerance to Ace? We have enough for one pill twice a day, but if they get less effective over time, that's not going to help anything.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » October 29th, 2010, 12:37 am

I am not sure if he could build up a tolerance to the ace, I would opt for the lowest dose that will keep him quieter, if you can decrease it.

Its probably the anesthetic. Maybe the Butorphanol...

The tramadol is a synthetic opiate and should be making him feel really comfy, and the metacam will keep any pain related to swelling down as well.

If you can, try keeping him in a dimly lit area with low noise. He could be overstimulated. You could also try a thick blanket over his crate, if he is crated.

Is he eating?

To ensure he is not in any pain, look for shaking, inability to relax, yelping or whining in relation to the leg (specifically something that you'd expect would hurt, given the circustances), lack of appetite, reluctance to stand or move, etc.

If he is eating then he can't be too stressed or in too much pain ;)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 29th, 2010, 7:19 am

My poor little guy. :( Give him some gentle scriches from me and tell him Aunt Liz loves him.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » October 29th, 2010, 9:49 am

He's shaking a lot, we just kept him covered so he was warm. Yes he's eating.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Pit♥bull » October 29th, 2010, 10:35 am

I can't post advice, but lots of :goodthoughts: coming your way for both you and Connor. :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby PetieMarie22 » October 29th, 2010, 10:49 am

Hoping for a quick and thorough recovery for Connor!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby DemoDick » October 29th, 2010, 11:26 am

Yeah, his appetite is good. He's obviously in pain, but he's dealing with it. The hardest thing for him seems to be figuring out a way to lay down with only one back leg in use. He's actually doing really well all things considered. Thanks for the kind words everyone. We appreciate them.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Pit♥bull » October 29th, 2010, 12:24 pm

By the by... Congratz Demo :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » October 29th, 2010, 12:46 pm

Poor Connor...good thoughts coming his way.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health