Sinonasal Carcinoma

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby plebayo » October 22nd, 2010, 10:13 pm

hugapitbull wrote:That is one fighting little dog. I love me some Sophie!

You know, she really is. I never really thought about her that way but this last month she's really shown me how strong she is. It's so weird, I've made all of these plans and preparations for her "last day" and then she turns around and acts the happiest I've seen her in a long time. Thanks to all of you for all of your support, kind words, and good thoughts - we truly appreciate it.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby CinderDee » October 22nd, 2010, 11:16 pm

Great update! Go Sophie!!! :mrgreen:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » October 23rd, 2010, 7:11 am

plebayo wrote:... then she turns around and acts the happiest I've seen her in a long time.

I told you, she is going to live until 18 years old. Same with Lenny. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Suzi » October 23rd, 2010, 10:31 am

This update has made my day!
Hugs to both of you!
Suzi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby plebayo » October 25th, 2010, 11:00 pm

She lives a hard life... :p
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » October 26th, 2010, 5:55 am

8) I told you, she is faking it....Just wanted more attention.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » October 26th, 2010, 8:37 pm

iluvk9 wrote:8) I told you, she is faking it....Just wanted more attention.

Well, she needs to quit 'cause she's giving me premature gray hairs!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » October 27th, 2010, 5:52 am

plebayo wrote:Well, she needs to quit 'cause she's giving me premature gray hairs!

8)

She really is so cute in that photo on the bed. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » October 29th, 2010, 1:46 am

iluvk9 wrote:
plebayo wrote:Well, she needs to quit 'cause she's giving me premature gray hairs!

8)

She really is so cute in that photo on the bed. :giggle:

She looks like she's queen of the world :p

She'll be 14 in just 3 days! I need to figure out how to make some kind of dog friendly b-day cake... last time I just gave her some human cake cooked for too long :p This year I think she deserves something more personal haha.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » October 29th, 2010, 5:52 am

FOURTEEN?!?!?!

:confetti: :confetti: :confetti: :confetti:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 29th, 2010, 7:16 am

That's outstanding! Wow! Happy early birthday you cute little thing!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » November 2nd, 2010, 10:50 pm

Sofie is getting a bit picky about her food again. She won't eat breakfast, but runs around like she's hungry. She of course wants to eat whatever I am having [naturally right?!] I gave her some subq fluids tonight and will give her more tomorrow just to see if it makes her feel better at all. I hurt my back so if I go to work tomorrow I may recheck her values just for kicks. She is also sneezing quite a bit as of late. I was going to restart her on piroxicam but it is hard on the kidneys so I'm not sure that is a good idea at this point. I'm going to see if it would be possible to use either an eye drop that has anti inflammatory properties or some other kind of med that can be given to help with any swelling she may have in her nose.

She's just being a goob.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby plebayo » November 3rd, 2010, 3:10 pm

We're sending out a full blood panel just to see what all of her values look like. I've started her on some famotidine which will hopefully encourage eating. She's been eating treats at work, hopefully she'll eat her food.

It's odd, her values dropped down to 49 and 4.1, still high enough to make her tummy upset but the fact that they lowered is very promising.

Talk about a roller coaster ride.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 3rd, 2010, 3:43 pm

I think she's doing it just to keep you on your toes. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » November 3rd, 2010, 5:23 pm

Food suggestion.... Not healthy, but it works when Harley gets picky: I buy already cooked bacon, warm it in microwave, crumble a slice and sprinkle it on his food.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » November 3rd, 2010, 7:30 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I think she's doing it just to keep you on your toes. :)

She's being a boob!

iluvk9 wrote:Food suggestion.... Not healthy, but it works when Harley gets picky: I buy already cooked bacon, warm it in microwave, crumble a slice and sprinkle it on his food.

That's a really good idea. She actually likes bacon, when I made a BLT the other day I gave her a cooked slice and a raw one :p Thanks for the suggestion, that is a good idea!

Dr says to try famotidine [pepcid] before we try an appetite stimulant.

Her BUN and Creatinine are down from where they were before. 54 and 3.6. At work the machine got 49 and 4.1. This is promising. I think I will continue with subq fluids again - maybe they helped, I'm not sure.

A couple of other things were high, but not by much so I'll have to talk to doctor when I go to work tomorrow.

Also - there isn't much we can do for the sneezing. Dr at first suggested chemo but A.) we'd have to place a jugular catheter. B.) It would probably compromise kidneys.

I'm taking this all one day at a time, I hope she gets her appetite back because that is a good indication of how she's feeling. I did get her to eat some k/d with some yummy a/d on it today, maybe she needs more junk food.

Oh almost forgot, her t4 is a bit low... which it has been before. It isn't terribly low so I'm not sure how much of a concern it is. It's 0.6 and low normal is 1.0. :|
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » November 3rd, 2010, 8:35 pm

Sending good thoughts for you & Miss Sofie.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby madremissy » November 3rd, 2010, 10:55 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:Sending good thoughts for you & Miss Sofie.

x2 :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » November 4th, 2010, 5:54 am

Again, Mrs. Dr. Killdare....I think you KNOW too much medical information. Maybe those levels fluctuate because of her "pretend condition" 8) (Because we all have her figured out by now....) and they will go up again, then they go down, then up. Since you KNOW to check them all the time, you keep thinking they are DOWN and staying down, but they won't. :dance: Does that make sense?

Bacon rocks. :rock:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » November 5th, 2010, 10:04 pm

I agree with knowing too much information sometimes. Mostly I wish I knew less about the outcomes of diseases.

So it is fair to say Sofie's cancer is active again. She sneezes a lot, there's really nothing that can be done for her. The dr mentioned doing a round of chemo but it would probably take a toll on her kidneys, plus we'd have to place a jugular catheter and honestly, I'm not sure that I want to put Sofie through the whole process again. She is not the most stoic of dogs when it comes to pain... I don't know, I don't think it would be fair.

Kidney values look much better, I've been given some mirtazapine for appetite. She's decided she doesn't like k/d so we're trying a different diet.

I had a talk with dr tonight and he thinks with the way her kidneys are she would make it to the new year no problem. The issue most likely is going to be the cancer. How quickly will it progress? We don't know. I'm taking things a day at a time. Honestly, I know she can't be feeling super well if she's refusing food. She's not suffering, she isn't in misery, but she isn't feeling 100%. The sneezing is hard to watch because she usually hits her face on the ground which is no good either. Also I gave her bath tonight and got her head wet and she has quite a bit of muscle loss up there that she did not have before. It's frustrating.

She seems to be in good spirits regardless. Tonight we left work and when I let her out of the kennel she was racing around and play bowing and acting like a total dork. I want to remember these moments because when she does things like that, that is when she's really being herself. Thanks for the good thoughts. :hug3:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer