Canine2 Iron Dog Competition

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby mnp13 » October 11th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Here are a few pictures from the weekend - thanks to Matt for taking some of them!

Me with Sarge, who puts the whole thing together

Over the first A frame

(then there was a second one)

(then a tunnel)

(then there was a ball pit)

(then the tires)

Then to the weave poles, Riggs was trying to help me with the big ball. I brought along a ball for him, so that he wouldn't take a ball out of the ball pit and cause us to get a time fault.

(then over the little jumps and into the woods, run down the gravel path, cross the stream, get stuck in the prickers and get bloody, run up the hill, talk to the lady at the top of the hill, she tells you to go through the woods to the bike path and turn left. Get to the bike path, turn left, run for a really long time, don't see any police tape or flags, get really worried that you're lost, keep on running, try not to get run over by bikes, keep on running, try not to keel over dead. Don't trip on Riggs. Finally find guy in orange Iron Dog shirt)

Me: "HELLO! I found you!"
Guy: "You might be surprised, but we have a race going on today called the Iron Dog."
Me: "Yes, I know... I'm the first runner!" (I show him my number)
Guy points across the road from him "You should have come out of the woods from there"
Me: "uh... now what?" (really just wanting him to tell me where I need to run to because this is a race.)
Guy: "well, I don't know..."

and for the next 3-5 minutes (I'm positive it was at least three minutes) we talked about where I ran, where I should have ran, and the price of tea in China... but not about where I needed to go. So, finally, I found out where the path was where I needed to be and continued...

So...

through the woods, down the hill, past the guy in the red shirt, up the hill to the clearing

To the Paintball
Two shots, one standing, one kneeling.

On to the carry...
You can carry your dog (I carried Riggs)

or a sack of potatoes

and finally, the crawl

all done!

Her dog pulled her back into the stream!

Happy 69th birthday to one of the runners! She also won her age group.

Matt and Earl had the overall fastest time of the day.
Riggs and I took second in our age category (by one minute, see note above... :doh: )
(Earl lost his dentures on the course)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » October 11th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Awesome write up and pictures Michelle. Had a lot of fun with you and Liz this weekend

--Matt
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » October 11th, 2010, 10:27 pm

It was a lot of fun! Thanks for going!! And thanks again for putting up with us Liz!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby hugapitbull » October 12th, 2010, 5:24 am

Love the pics - thanks for sharing!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 12th, 2010, 7:04 am

That pic of Earl smiling just totally makes my day! I'm going to look at it every day. :giggle:

It was awesome seeing you both! Thanks for fixing things in my house, Michelle! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby LMM » October 12th, 2010, 8:38 am

What great pics! It doesn't look as bad as how I thought it was described but maybe you have to be there. By bad I mean I envisioned it being dirty and slimy lol

Congrats on your wins and how cool is that about the 69 year old!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby copperlegend » October 12th, 2010, 8:43 am

That's awesome! Looks like tons of fun :)
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » October 12th, 2010, 8:55 am

What fun! :D Congrats to you both!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » October 12th, 2010, 9:20 am

Congratulations to all of you!
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby mnp13 » October 12th, 2010, 10:09 am

LMM wrote:It doesn't look as bad as how I thought it was described but maybe you have to be there. By bad I mean I envisioned it being dirty and slimy

All of the descriptions came from other people. It wasn't that bad at all - we expected pure torture, this was more like a run with your dog that included a few things to do. The creek was about knee deep and pretty cold. The worst part of the whole thing was the constant fear of getting lost because the trail was not very well marked. :|

It was fun, I'm glad we made the trip, but I'm not seeing another 12 hour trek in future years...
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby PetieMarie22 » October 12th, 2010, 10:36 am

Sounds like it was a blast! Good job guys!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby LMM » October 12th, 2010, 7:04 pm

mnp13 wrote:
LMM wrote:It doesn't look as bad as how I thought it was described but maybe you have to be there. By bad I mean I envisioned it being dirty and slimy

All of the descriptions came from other people. It wasn't that bad at all - we expected pure torture, this was more like a run with your dog that included a few things to do. The creek was about knee deep and pretty cold. The worst part of the whole thing was the constant fear of getting lost because the trail was not very well marked. :|

It was fun, I'm glad we made the trip, but I'm not seeing another 12 hour trek in future years...

Awww that totally doesn't sound bad! We would have loved to do that!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby AllAmericanPUP » October 16th, 2010, 10:51 pm

that looks like a ton of fun!!! great pics :D
wish i could have came since it's only 4 hours from me but money is tight.
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby furever_pit » October 17th, 2010, 4:37 pm

Congrats guys! That sounds like a lot of fun.
I gotta say though, HUGE kudos to the 69 year old woman who ran that thing. Not many old ladies that I know would even dream of trying that.

Is that an Akita crawling under the thing with the guy in the glasses? His head looks humongous.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » October 17th, 2010, 4:57 pm

furever_pit wrote:Is that an Akita crawling under the thing with the guy in the glasses? His head looks humongous.

Yes. and though a certain someone did not carry Earl :wink: , he did carry the Akita.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Sports