Does anyone know anything about Cane Corsos?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby juniper8204 » October 8th, 2010, 12:57 pm

I work at a high kill shelter. About two weeks ago, we had a full-blooded Cane Corso come in as a stray. He's strikingly beautiful, blue fawn, about 110 pounds, ears and tail are cropped. He has a microchip, but it was never registered, so we have no idea who the owner is.

I'll have to admit that when he first came in, I was pretty intimidated by him because he looked so menacing. But, I decided to figure him out, so I spent some time with him, and he's an absolute mooshball who loves belly rubs.

Monday is his release date. Release date just means that we've held him as long as we're supposed to and a decision will be made as to whether he'll go up for adoption or put to sleep. My supervisor has already said he won't put him up for adoption because he's iffy with strangers, which I understand is part of the breed. And since I've fallen in love with him, I've offered to foster him given he's ok with my dogs.

My two dogs accept dogs into the house quite well since I'm always bringing home something. And I've become quite the expert on how to introduce dogs. LOL I'm just wondering if anyone on here knows about this breed and knows how they generally are with other dogs, and cats, kids, etc. If he works out, and my husband likes him too, I'd probably end up adopting him.

This isn't him, but this looks almost exactly like him:
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » October 8th, 2010, 2:26 pm

I don't know the breed that well, but I have some thoughts...

They are a gaurdian breed, and so if you got him, socializing him as much as possible would be key.

If he is iffy with strangers, he is iffy with all strangers, including children.

The Cane Corso has the potential to become the next "bad breed" so with that comes a responsibility to keep them safe and be responsible, similar to what most of us already do with our APBTs and other Bully Breeds.

If I were in your position, I would take him, but I would start working with him right away, and I would make sure that my husband understood the responsibilty that comes with him (which may include not introducing him to anyone new at least initially, until you can get a gauge on his reaction).

Hopefully that was helpful.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby LMM » October 8th, 2010, 2:49 pm

Cane Corsos are a GREAT breed but Malli touched on some very important points. They are a guardian breed and can be very aloof with people outside their family. Socialization and training will be critical.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby BigDogBuford » October 8th, 2010, 3:55 pm

I've only met one in person and she's a total and complete goof ball with everyone, including strangers. I don't think she's very representative of the breed but I love her!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby huskyhouse » October 8th, 2010, 5:59 pm

Do you know which microchip company it is? If it's Home Again or Avid, they can tell you the batch that this particular chip came from, and who purchased the batch, and if it was a breeder, chances are they bought by the batch and you might be able to track it down.

If there's no luck with that avenue, Cane's do have a national rescue, http://www.canecorsorescue.org/.
huskyhouse
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby juniper8204 » October 8th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Thank y'all for all the replies. I brought the hubby to meet the big guy at the shelter this afternoon to see how he reacted with a man he's never seen before, and it went AWESOME!!! He took to him immediately, and there was no hesitation like I've seen before with other people. We spent a good hour with him, and basically all he wanted to do was crawl in our laps and love us forever. I've had Danes in the past, so his size is nothing I haven't had in the house before, and I bring home LOTS of foster dogs, and I've seen it all from dogs being fast friends to mortal enemies. And whatever the situation, I've always been able to find a way to accomodate the foster until a home is found.

As for the microchip, AVID was able to give me the implant facility, and I called, and for some reason their record keeping isn't the greatest and the chip was never linked with the dog's file. And their database won't let you look up dogs by breed...I was hoping it would since this isn't a breed you see everyday. Thank you for the link for Cane Corso rescue. I will use them if things don't work out with the big guy.

And, Malli, I know what you mean when you say that this breed could be vilified along with our pitties because I've walked many people through who are looking for their dogs and almost all of them comment that "that's the biggest pit bull I've ever seen". :rolleyes2: People can take a Corso's sheer size and devotion to its owner and use it for horrible reasons.

But I will let everyone know how it goes as things progress, and thanks again for all the great info!
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby copperlegend » October 8th, 2010, 8:01 pm

I met a gorgeous Cane Corso at Barktoberfest a few weeks ago. I'm ashamed to say this, but I said "WHOA! is he full pit?" Whoops. Bad pitty mama, no biscuit! He was a gentle giant with a very handsome face.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby plebayo » October 8th, 2010, 11:45 pm

I've always had a bad image of the breed because they are a guardian breed and a lot of people, since APBT's have been banned have been moving to these larger, more aggressive breeds.

In the Schutzhund club I belong to there is a guy with two of them. He paid good money for these dogs one is from a Show Line and one is from a Working line, the one from the working line's sire is a Sch3 dog among other things.

I realize why they do not recommend these dogs for Schutzhund. The one from the show line is almost 2 years old and he's a total clown. Halfway through his obedience routine he usually checks out and takes off for his favorite trainer in the group. He always wants to socialize with everyone. The dog literally checks out mentally, no amount of calling gets his attention - once he loses focus on the owner he's a total blockhead. I told the guy his dogs totally lost their street cred and aren't nearly as scary as they look. The younger one he has, from working lines, is a tad more aloof and not quite as confident as the older dog but at this point is very people friendly. They seem to be fine with the other dogs around as well. They aren't nearly as high strung as the German Shepherds we train with... even somewhat slow and lumbering. They've definitely changed how I felt about the breed, I don't think they're all as nasty as I once thought them to be.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby LMM » October 9th, 2010, 12:02 am

BigDogBuford wrote:I've only met one in person and she's a total and complete goof ball with everyone, including strangers. I don't think she's very representative of the breed but I love her!

I owned one many years ago and he was the exact same way, total mushy clown.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Malli » October 9th, 2010, 3:18 am

well, most dogs are products of their owners, and we all know that; that being said, the stronger more physical breeds all typically need much more involvement in their production from the owners.
There are always exceptions or dogs who have owners who make them awesome, just like the rest of us.

I don't mean this in a braggy, boasty kind of way, because there are quite a few things I'd do differently if I could do them over again with Oscar, but as cool of a dog as he turned out to be, I'm pretty sure that with the wrong person (even one with good intentions, and just no direction) he could have turned out pretty horribly, and been used to do some pretty awful things.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » October 9th, 2010, 9:18 am

copperlegend wrote:I met a gorgeous Cane Corso at Barktoberfest a few weeks ago. I'm ashamed to say this, but I said "WHOA! is he full pit?"

only if he's RE :wink: lmao
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby dlynne1123 » October 9th, 2010, 1:37 pm

juniper8204 wrote:Thank y'all for all the replies. I brought the hubby to meet the big guy at the shelter this afternoon to see how he reacted with a man he's never seen before, and it went AWESOME!!! He took to him immediately, and there was no hesitation like I've seen before with other people. We spent a good hour with him, and basically all he wanted to do was crawl in our laps and love us forever. I've had Danes in the past, so his size is nothing I haven't had in the house before, and I bring home LOTS of foster dogs, and I've seen it all from dogs being fast friends to mortal enemies. And whatever the situation, I've always been able to find a way to accomodate the foster until a home is found.

As for the microchip, AVID was able to give me the implant facility, and I called, and for some reason their record keeping isn't the greatest and the chip was never linked with the dog's file. And their database won't let you look up dogs by breed...I was hoping it would since this isn't a breed you see everyday. Thank you for the link for Cane Corso rescue. I will use them if things don't work out with the big guy.

And, Malli, I know what you mean when you say that this breed could be vilified along with our pitties because I've walked many people through who are looking for their dogs and almost all of them comment that "that's the biggest pit bull I've ever seen". :rolleyes2: People can take a Corso's sheer size and devotion to its owner and use it for horrible reasons.

But I will let everyone know how it goes as things progress, and thanks again for all the great info!

Ditto with a presa canario at our shelter few months back. Unfortunately our shelter is not as open minded and found him way to aggressive with strangers. And people think of the incident way back when the two presa's mauled a neighbor in her own apartment building. She was killed and the dogs were being held by the lawyers of the owner while they were in jail!
Its good to hear that a stray Cane Corso is social! Good luck finding him his perfect home!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby juniper8204 » October 9th, 2010, 10:41 pm

Well, I have the big guy home! I've named him Baloo. So far, he adores kids in general, is scared of my parakeets and cats, and didn't react much to my dogs in their crates. Tomorrow my husband and I are going to try doing a walk with Baloo and my male pittie, Moose to the park. Figured that might be less confrontational than having them meet nose to nose in the living room. Then they can be together inside after we've worn their a$$es out. LOL I've also found out that he loves to snuggle on the bed and that he's obedience trained...knows sit, down, stay, NO!, off, and heel. So far, I'm very pleased with him!!!! And to think that Monday they would have put him down! Talk about a diamond in the rough.
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » October 10th, 2010, 3:19 am

excellent. And I'm also impressed that he is responding to your "no". I think this is a good sign.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby plebayo » October 10th, 2010, 7:26 am

And to think that Monday they would have put him down! Talk about a diamond in the rough.

He's really lucky to have found someone that would give him a chance.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby hugapitbull » October 10th, 2010, 10:01 am

He sounds like a 'gem'. Thank you for caring enough to give him a chance.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby juniper8204 » October 10th, 2010, 10:04 am

Malli wrote:excellent. And I'm also impressed that he is responding to your "no". I think this is a good sign.

I know! When he gets excited he likes to jump on me, and 110lbs of dog is too much to have jumping up on you, and besides I think it's rude. So, that's one time I told him no and he listened. Another time, he was sniffing at my Himalayan cat, Delilah, and she's been known to whoop a dog's A$$, so I didn't want him getting too close yet, so I yelled NO! and he backed down and came right to my side and sat down.

He's apparently housetrained...no big accidents in the house. He's marked a couple of times, which I kind of expected since he's not neutered yet. But he paces around the door when he needs to go out.

I took him for a walk yesterday, and he's a dream on the leash. And I got the comment I'd been waiting for :rolleyes2: "that's the biggest pit bull I've ever seen!" :doh: Jeez people...just because the dog has cropped ears and looks somewhat scary doesn't automatically mean it's a pit!

In all, I think this experience with Baloo is going to be fun and quite interesting! I can pretty much foster him as long as I want, so I'm going to take a good long time to figure out if I want to adopt him or not. I don't want to rush into anything.

Now...onto what I've been dreading to do to him...A BATH!! :D
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » October 10th, 2010, 1:47 pm

well, the do look a lot like large stub nosed Pit Bulls, I'll give them that.

I hope you edjamacated them! ;)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Rolex+Deebo » October 16th, 2010, 11:14 pm

Yes I look like hell. lmao it was after a 12hr shift, and a bruise on my chin from one of the dogs in class head butting me. :doh: almost knocked me out!
My BFs parents have one. He was never socialized, and now is about 5yo.

On "HIS" property:
To family- he is a total mush ball. A big, clumsy, very happy teddy bear.
To strangers- HE WILL EAT YOU!!!!!! no joke, he will. It took me about 5months of living with him, before I could be in the same room with him. Now he only listens to me, but I think that's because I'm the only one that makes him do anything. And BFs sister moved out, and now after a year of just visiting, is considered an edible stranger too. And he grew up with her. Though I havent lived there in about a year, and he still listens to me and loves me. So I dont know.
To other animals- will also eat, has gotten a couple of woodchucks,cats,birds,.....in the back yard.

Out in public:
A mush to everyone, loves belly rubs.
Just started taking him to get a bath once a month(found out he didnt have a bath in a year :( (and they were wondering why he was itching to death :x ), and the groomer loves him.
Other animals don't faze him, unless its barking at him, then he wines about it.
Or if its moving fast(squirrel) and then he wines about that too.
Very manageable, and calm. Usually just plops down and is hard to get moving again. lol

From home to public is like night and day.
But again, this dog was never socialized, just chills in the house, and back yard, never leaves the premises. Unless I take him, which is not often, I have my pups to care for.

:| thats my experience.

Congratulation!! He seems like an ham, hope it works out for you and him.
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Off-Topic