Large bump on Baku's Toe.

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Xarpolis » October 1st, 2010, 10:26 am

Yesterday while brushing him, I noticed that Baku had a large hard bump on his toe. I took some pictures of it. It doesn't feel like it's full of fluid or anything. It actually feels really hard and scab-like, but I don't think that it's an actual scab.

What do you think, or have you encountered something like this before?

My name is Jon and my wife is Manami.
Together we have Baku, our gorgeous Pit. He was born 7/20/09.
Xarpolis
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » October 1st, 2010, 3:46 pm

I don't know, but is he licking it?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 1st, 2010, 4:15 pm

It's not a tick is it? If you're positive it's not a creepy-crawly, I would say keep him from pestering it, keep it clean and dry and just keep an eye on it for a couple days. Does it seem to hurt him?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » October 1st, 2010, 8:23 pm

Oooo maybe he's got the herpes???

Just kidding, but it could be some kind of a warty growth. My friend has a Pit Bull who gets little growths now and again that kind of look like that. He hasn't had any on his feet but has them randomly spread on his body so it might just be some kind of benign lump.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Xarpolis » October 6th, 2010, 9:34 am

Here's an update to this post.

The bump on his toe has gotten bigger, and it's definitely fleshy. It's quite possibly a wart or some type of infection, but I don't know for sure. I'll take him to the vet soon.

Xarpolis
Just Whelped

Postby Pit♥bull » October 6th, 2010, 12:55 pm

Soon isn't good enough :( Take him now!
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » October 6th, 2010, 1:07 pm

Definitely warrants a vet visit. Looks to possibly be a histiocytoma, which generally are not malignant, but still needs to be checked out. If it continues to grow at that pace, it will need to be removed surgically.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » October 6th, 2010, 1:38 pm

holy camoli! That grew fast :shock:
I'm glad you're getting it checked out!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BullyLady » October 6th, 2010, 7:44 pm

If it weren't between the toes, I'd say it does look like a wart (papilloma), but it being between the toes makes it suspicious. Vet visit ASAP! Here's hoping it's nothing!!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby pitsnok » October 7th, 2010, 12:31 am

Harlow's histiocytoma looked nothing like that...hers was like, bright red and dome-shaped. Baku's does look very wart-like. I would definitely get it looked at asap. Anything that sprouts that quickly worries me.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » October 7th, 2010, 5:37 am

Poor guy! It looks so ickky.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Xarpolis » October 7th, 2010, 7:55 am

The first available vet appointment is today in another 2 hours. I'll get him over and let you know what it turns out to be.
Xarpolis
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » October 7th, 2010, 8:12 am

pitsnok wrote:Harlow's histiocytoma looked nothing like that...hers was like, bright red and dome-shaped.

Tucker's and most of Indy's looked like the bright red dome -- he had several small ones on his toes that looked like warts but they went away without surgery. Katy had one on her shoulder that started as a bright red dome and rapidly grew into looking like the same sort of growth that Baku has. Her's ended up as about 2 inches in diameter with "peaks" that looked like warts and had to be removed with surgery.

I really hope Baku's is just a wart -- treatment is SO much easier!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitsnok » October 7th, 2010, 1:20 pm

Tucker's and most of Indy's looked like the bright red dome -- he had several small ones on his toes that looked like warts but they went away without surgery. Katy had one on her shoulder that started as a bright red dome and rapidly grew into looking like the same sort of growth that Baku has. Her's ended up as about 2 inches in diameter with "peaks" that looked like warts and had to be removed with surgery.

ew! BUT, good in Baku's case. Harlow's was only about 3/4" in diameter but it was a perfect circle. it was on her leg though, so perhaps the location has something to do with the general shape of them.

good thoughts for Baku boy! Let us know ASAP!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Xarpolis » October 7th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Well, he did fine at the vet. We were told that it's just a common wart that's growing fast, and not cancerous. He goes in for surgery on Tuesday to get it removed, where they'll give him 1 stitch and call it a day.
Xarpolis
Just Whelped

Postby BullyLady » October 7th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Xarpolis wrote:Well, he did fine at the vet. We were told that it's just a common wart that's growing fast, and not cancerous. He goes in for surgery on Tuesday to get it removed, where they'll give him 1 stitch and call it a day.

Whew! Good news!! :confetti:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Malli » October 7th, 2010, 5:08 pm

good news indeed.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » October 7th, 2010, 6:18 pm

YAY! Good thoughts for a quick and successful surgery!
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » October 7th, 2010, 6:45 pm

That is great! Tell him no more kissing frogs.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » October 7th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Great news. Here is too a very speedy recovery.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health